Replacing the old (HT)PC ¯ what should I be considering? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 09:55 AM
Veteran

No, I wouldn't worry about power, etc.

Its just, on the 2ndary location... IF that one, is not HOSTING the media itself.. if it is stored on the OTHER HTPC, it is extra and not needed.

One would act as a 'server' HTPC, while the other would be a 'child'... which really would just need the OS, core apps installed to TALK to the database/etc stored on the main server one.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Re SSD's, I see many options out there to upgrade exisitng pcs, or build from scratch,... ..but hardly any purchase options for a new pre-configured desktop pc's with an SSD boot drive (like off the web sites of Dell, Asus, TigerDirect, Newegg, etc).

Guess I need to look elsewhere (where?) or consider more a kit approach and build my own...or revert back again to non-desktop form factors with mSATA SSD slots.

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
post #78 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 11:55 AM

HTPC is almost a textbook example where DIY pays off.
Since you want particular components: mobo, case, drives, fans, etc.

MemoryExpress is a decent place to start.
For a boot drive (around 100GB) be ready to pay $1/GB.
I like the EVO Samsung line...

post #79 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Some interesting setups here : http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/

But seems pricey. Thier suggested VALUE system comprises of :

Case Silverstone GD06B Micro ATX
CPU Intel Core i3-3225 LGA 1155
Motherboard ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel LGA 1155 (H77M)
Hard Drive Samsung 840 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)
Memory Kingston HyperX LoVo 4 GB Kit 1600 DDR3 SDRAM
Optical Drive Pioneer 15x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts EA-380D
----------
Remote control Flirc USB IR receiver
Hard Drive (Optional) Western Digital 3 TB Caviar Green

I priced it up at Amazon.ca for fun and it came in at $800 $CDN with WIndows (without the 3 TB drive and remote)

As compared to say this : http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49423 at half the price of $400 (without SSD and remote)

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
post #80 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 01:13 PM

This is something I'd start with:
Intel Core™ i3-4340 Processor
Gigabyte H87N-WIFI Motherboard 270
RipjawsX Series 16GB DDR3 RAM 160
840 EVO Series Solid State Drive 120
SG05 Black Case w/ 450w PS 130
Total bill - $680. Has WiFi and Bluetooth.
No OS, no HDD, ODD, Kb/Mouse/Remote...

Same ballpark would be the BRIX setup:
BRIX Ultra Compact PC Kit w/ Core™ i3-4010U 350
PM841 Series Internal mSATA 130
Signature DDR3 16GB 150
Total bill - $630.

The Value built on the MyMedia site uses i3-3225 - the lowest end CPU with HD4000.
With the 4th generation - unfortunately - Intel doesn't sell the Iris/IrisPro CPUs separately.
Not that you need anything above HD4600 for a regular HTPC...
post #81 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 01:39 PM
Veteran

For the specs and what your getting for the price.. that looks about right, for what I was last looking at.
Was pricing out a HTPC/Gaming (basic steam games) dual use rig for a friend.. and subtracting video card, etc is within the right range.

Did a rough pricing from Canada computers, around $600ish (give or take on specifics on hardware)(no OS)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #82 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 02:20 PM

On Oct.1 last year this set was $75. Now it is $100 more.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41401
It is not going to get better in the near future. Load up on RAM!
post #83 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm game for a DIY solution (and this time of year is ideal for that type of project). I just would have some TBDs to sort out before I actaully start buying stuff next week. Red ones are clearly the critical ones

My draft shopping list is :

HARDWARE
mATX CASE: TBD no issue - many options leaning to SILVERSTONE and to in-room wide orientation.
mATX M/B WITH USB3/HDMI: TBD - many options but I need to learn/appreciate distinctions. MSI? ASUS? GIGABYTE?
INTEGRATED GPU: Per motherboard decision
CPU (Intel i3-4340 or AMD FM2): TBD I need to learn/appreciate distinctions/variations
MEMORY(16GB DDR3): no issue - many options re Kingston, Cruical etc.
SSD BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD
HDD DATA DRIVE: NONE. Add as needed.
ODD BR/DVD BURNER: TBD but no issue - many options
POWER SUPPLY/FANS: TBD many options

SOFTWARE:
MEDIA SERVER: XBMC for Windows or MediaPortal

PERIPHERALS
ROUTER: ikely ASUS AC-1900
USB3 DAS: TBD but likely Mediasonic 4 BAY
WIRELESS K/B: TBD but no issue - many options
WIRELESS MOUSE: TBD but no issue - many options
NETWORK TV TUNER: TBD but no issue Likely HD HOMERUN

post #84 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 03:35 PM

Haven't done AMD lately, don't know. It could probably save you ~$100 (mobo and CPU).
Onboard video will suffice unless you want to do some non-light gaming..

Software is personal. Other parts look OK...
post #85 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Some interesting setups here : http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/
Not a bad start. But I wouldn't follow those builds exactly.

The Silverstone GD06B Micro ATX case is too much case for HTPC. Silverstone cases (and other full height, steel HTPC cases) tend to be too big and heavy, especially for AV cabinet use. Silverstone cases are also expensive. If that much money is being spent, a half height all aluminum case is much more practical.

The budget build will save over $200 and will work well for HTPC. It will run Win7 or Win8 with no problem. I have a build very similar to this using an mATX motherboard. I put it in a low profile, component sized, all aluminum case.

On drives: There is no reason these days not to use multimedia drives. These are generally designed to provide better performance and be more reliable than standard 'green' drives. I've seen a few drives fail in NAS and multimedia (24hr/day) applications and no longer recommend them for HTPC or NAS use.

I've built close to a dozen HTPCs in the past 10 years and have made many of the mistakes that can be made. Here are the worst mistake that I made:
  • 1. Using large, full height, steel cases.
  • 2. Using a CPU that is too powerful and/or dissipates too much heat.
  • 3. Using a video card. Integrated CPU/GPU solutions are much more efficient and will outperform most low end video cards.
  • 4. Using too big a power supply. Right sized power supplies are more efficient and more economical. The power supply should be sized between 2 and 4 times the maximum TDP of the system. In the builds linked to above, that's between 150w and 300w. Make sure it is 80+ certified as well.
  • 5. Using cases that have proprietary power supplies and/or other components. If they need replacing, there is no source for better quality components. When buying a small case that uses a smaller power supply (such as SFX) make sure that it's dimensions are not outside the industry norm. That goes for OEM built systems as well. Companies like Dell are notorious for using non-standard parts.
  • 6. Not using low noise components. That includes the power supply, CPU cooler, case fans (avoid fans wherever possible), high speed disk drives (avoid 7200 RPM or faster hard drives) and optical drives. Small, high speed fans included on some components are especially obnoxious.
  • 7. Not using low energy and energy efficient components. Energy dissipation creates heat, which requires fans for cooling, which creates noise.
  • 8. Cramming too many hard drives into an HTPC. These create heat and noise.
post #86 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
3. Using a video card. Integrated CPU/GPU solutions are much more efficient and will outperform most low end video cards.
If playing Blu-ray rips is planned, onboard video does the job (sometimes) barely.
You will hear the fans revving up. For example, HD2500 on Sandy Bridge...
post #87 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 04:23 PM
Veteran

HD2500 on Sandy Bridge is obsolete for HTPC and I never recommended Sandy Bridge for HTPC. The problems with them are well documented. Any AMD FM2 chip will outperform that series, especially for playing HD video. Newer Intel and AMD chips are much better. Intel may have a better CPU processor but AMD has the has the better GPU processor when it comes to video. I've been playing Blu-ray on ATI (AMD) integrated motherboard chips for years. Any FM2 APU blows those away in graphics/video performance. Intel is only now catching up with their graphics GPUs.
post #88 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
...The budget build will save over $200 and will work well for HTPC. It will run Win7 or Win8 with no problem. I have a build very similar to this using an mATX motherboard. I put it in a low profile, component sized, all aluminum case....]

Those 'worst mistake' tips to avoid are priceless. Thanks for that !

On that budget system http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/, they recommend:

Case Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK 300-150
Motherboard MSI Socket FM2 AMD A75 Mini ITX
CPU :AMD A6-5400K with Radeon HD 7540D

...and you mentioned you would use a different mATX motherboard and mATX case. Is there any specific motherboard make/model you'd suggest/like ?
Eg: same MSI model in mATX size, here? or GIGABYTE model here or ASUS here? ? ? Same question re cases. Do some already come with power supply and coolers vs fans, etc., or do these all need to be selected individually?

post #89 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
Intel may have a better CPU processor but AMD has the has the better GPU processor when it comes to video. I've been playing Blu-ray on ATI (AMD) integrated motherboard chips for years. Any FM2 APU blows those away in graphics/video performance.
Can you point to any benchmarks which show this? My experience has been that my Intel-based systems do Blu-ray playback (which is primarily h.264 decoding) just as well as my AMD-based systems. That is, the output is indistinguishable between them, as it should be.

~8 years ago you used to see "HD video playback" benchmarks on tech review sites, but since all these chips can do it now, you primarily only see "power use" benchmarks if you see anything at all. And when it comes to performance-per-watt, the Intel chips win.
post #90 of 361 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 08:50 PM
Rookie

My experience supports the AMD APU - my E-450 (with HD6320) plays Blu-ray rips without a hitch, consuming around 35 watts in the process. There's no need to over-power the system unless you get into the heavy gaming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in