MythTV 0.27 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-22, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
With the latest mythtv versions the user can set an upper and lower channel for scans, which is helpful if you already know the local spread of expected stations from TVFool. I'd like to see some sort of Boolean tool that lets people deselect ranges within 7-51 if they know that there is nothing to be seen. It would speed things up for some people (i.e. someone with a couple of VHF-HI stations and then nothing on UHF until the low 30s).
Even better would be a way to set the default channel range to anything you want. The problem with removing 52-69 completely is that some countries still use them (does Mexico still use them?). Also there may be some custom uses for them.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-22, 07:20 PM
Veteran

No, I would prefer no EPG than do that, hence my question, and insistence on no scrapers.

So, short of that, how can I easily and free (MythTV is relatively hard), with absolutely no EPG scraping or EPG subscription, have my Linux PC wih HD-Homerun, be a free VCR like DVR, with manual repeating recordings, that work.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-22, 09:49 PM
Veteran

I am in the middle of doing some mythtv reconfiguration here on a diff machine, else I would test it for ya....

have ya thought about just using 'Kaffeine'?
It's much simpler to use, and parses the guide sent OTA automatically, if any.

I just looked and it looks like ya can set manual recordings easily, as well as ' use an 'instant record' feature.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-24, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
How do manual recordings come up in the "to record list" or generally use it as a VCR without an EPG, with multiple manual recordings I can keep track of?
I am not sure I understand what your issue is. When I first started using MythTV I used manual recordings before I subscribed to Schedules Direct and they worked just fine. I also did a quick test and it once again worked just fine (though it seems like they have changed it so that start times and durations have to be on 5 minute boundaries (though I suppose you could use start early or end late to make adjustments). The Title of the recording is is the same as the name of the manual recording rule and appears as such in the list of upcoming recordings and recording rules. If you want more information about the show you recorded, you can edit the metadata for the recording to change the title, sub-title, season and episode numbers and Plot description.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 08:38 PM
Veteran

almost back to normal now after compiling mythtv fixes/0.27 with my two patches. one for the ch2-51 thing,
and another so the atsc snr is displayed correctly. Found something new with mythweb, I wasn't used to, never had to do this until now.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_i...ersal_Location

never had to symlink the channel icons directory to get them to show up, till now.
sudo ln -s /home/myuser/.mythtv/channels /home/mythtv/.mythtv

the snag I was running in to compiling was that I normally use Qt 5.2 for compiling the updateDVB program I use.
Hadn't compiled mythtv in so long, I forgot they still use Qt 4.8. So 'qtchooser' to the rescue...

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-26, 01:40 PM
Veteran

classicsat,
I just looked at the mythweb gui here.
It makes it real simple to make manual recordings.
I just tested it on wbxz, 56.4, one of the SOON programs, so there is no schedule info. Looks like it can do what you want from the convenience of your web browser. Also provides you the opportunity to name it however you want as well as some suggested options.
here is a screenshot of it... Is that what your looking for?

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-07-26, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Interesting. It looks like using MythWeb you can set the start time down to the second. Using the fronend seems to limit you to 5 minutes. The defaults for Title and Subtitle are also nice, though I would probably want to override the title in most cases.

Interesting though that if you click on Advance Options it defaults to using Subtitle and Description as Duplicate Check. I would think you would rather this be set to none for a manual recording, though it should still work as the subtitle will be unique if it is using date/time.

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 07:31 PM
Veteran

I looked at kaffeine. It is comparably simple to set up (compared to MythTV) records fine, but fiddly to set recordings.

The kaffeine player is very poor, on my PC anyways. VLC is a lot better, but just about annoying. In any case, there is no PVR like recording list, nor remote control . I could tolerate it as a stop gap measure until I get my WMC machine running again.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Last I knew kaffeine switched from mplayer to vlc as the player.
What version kaffeine did ya install?
Mine says:
Kaffeine
Version 1.3-git

But I compiled it from their git tree.

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 09:09 AM
Veteran

I downloaded the one from the Mint software manager. It is the one that plays poor.

I solved the VLC control with a phone app on an old Android phone I was given. It works to my satisfaction, but not 100% perfect, maybe 95%.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 07:53 PM
Veteran

The standard 'help/about' ya can get the kaffeine version

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 11:51 PM
Veteran

It is working now.

At this point I don't want to have to muck around chasing dependencies and other annoyances of compiling someone elses code for something I need to work right away.

Having to muck around too much with command is why have been cold to Myth TV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in