Hauppauge 950Q USB & win8 WMC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-09, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hauppauge 950Q USB & win8 WMC

Trying to help my neighbour out. He has a new PC with win8.1, we did the upgrade to 8.1 Pro so he can have WMC with it. We cannot for some reason get WMC to scan for channels. It sees the tuner, initially when it tries to examine the tv signals, but after that when you pick the Digital ATSC tuner, it says 'Tuner not available try restarting the PC, or WMC' .. We know the tuner is good as it works under Win7 and when using WinTv7 but for some reason Win8 has a problem with it. It doesn't matter if we use Canada or the US as our location (when using the Canadian one I have already installed Peter Nears patch)..

Really stumped on this... Anyone have any suggestions? I have googled it and can't find any answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-09, 07:45 PM
Veteran

try different software than microcrap, or better yet, use linux.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Gee thanks for such great advice...

Anyone else able to help me or offer better wisdom?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 05:36 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
You could try a different USB port. Check in the device manager that all drivers are loaded correctly. I had the same setup until last week and it was working fine. (Replaced the usb tuner with a hd homerun thanks to a sale at newegg :-) )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Brendanf, I'm not sure what the root cause is, but I figured I'd ask: did you install the latest drivers for that tuner?

That sort of issue is typically explained by odd driver behavior, and Hauppauge doesn't have that great of a historical record when it comes to drivers and the HVR-950Q may be old enough that Hauppauge isn't giving it much driver love these days.

Just to be clear, you're saying that the tuner works just fine in Windows 7, and the WinTV v7 application running under Windows 8, correct? I wasn't sure if WinTV v7 was running properly under Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Also, I recall that there were some last-minute WMC-related patches in Windows 8.1. Did your neighbor get all the latest items from Windows update?

@majortom, nothing but class! Love the reference to "microcrap", so funny. Especially when you follow it up with a recommendation to "use linux". We all know that linux doesn't have any driver issues what-so-ever, and it's really easy for end users to configure!

</sarcasm>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 08:18 PM
Veteran

Actually it's quite easy. I plug a device in and it works. Simple as that.

hauppauge 950q, hauppauge aero-m, hdhomerun, prof 7500 usb DVB-S2 satellite tuner, even a lowly unheard of evga indtube atsc tuner works when I plug them in. drivers or kernel modules as they are called in linux are included in the kernel distribution. There is no downloading "drivers" to get them to work.

the microcrap comment is geared more towards trying a different application, not necessarily the OS.
Fact is that your not likely to receive any help from Microsoft. But you will most certainly receive help from the user community of various other free applications. ie something not written by MS. The point is to try something else, free, like smartdvb, nextpvr, sichboPVR...there's many other applications besides what came with the OS that you can use to see if they at least function. That will help to 'rule out' or 'rule in' a driver problem.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 10:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
Actually it's quite easy. I plug a device in and it works. Simple as that.
I've dealt with Linux driver issues enough to know this isn't the case. There are lots of devices that either have no Linux drivers or have extremely buggy drivers available. The driver situation with Windows isn't perfect, but you get far better hardware support than you do in Linux.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 11:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Let's keep the f a n b o i talk out of this thread and help the OP. Future posts not on that topic will be deleted.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-11, 11:41 PM

You didn't mention what version of the hauppauge driver/cd you are using.

Try ver 2.8b located here

You don't need to install the WinTV software but at least the driver part.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 11:46 AM
Veteran

OP I have used the 950q under Win8 with Media Center but not 8.1. I could try it out just to ensure it works ok. I currently have a desktop class PC with 8.1 that was an upgrade from 8 with a Hauppague Win-TV-HVR-2250 with storage spaces configured. Media Center on 8.1 works great once setup. I had issues scanning for channels had to add a couple of them manually. Used TV Fool to assist with that. Also, by the looks of things on the hauppauge website the 950q is still a current product.

One other thing that comes to mind, you can easily uninstall (more like disabling) MC and re-install. It goes quick the second time around as the install becomes part of the OS and simply ends up being a check box under turn Windows features on or off.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Windows update on Windows 8.1 includes 950q. driver.

I just plugged in a 950q into a fresh W8.1 install and Windows update has a driver provided by Hauppauge Computer Works Inc. released March of 2013.

In thinking back, I think I had that same issue you are describing. How I got around it was to setup WMC as a U.S. install and let the auto setup do its thing. I think i just used 90210 as the zip code. Once it was done, I did a channel scan and saw it pick up my locals. Basically once I proved that it could talk to the hardware I scrapped the setup and used PNear's hack and set it up properly the way I wanted. There might be some threads on Greenbutton or the MS forums with more details but that is what I can remember.

*Edit* Confirmed. 950q works just fine on a clean install of Windows 8.1. I did not install any Hauppage software at all other than their driver that installed via Windows Update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in