USB ATSC Tuner works has Signal with Netbook but none with desktop - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-10-18, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

USB ATSC Tuner works has Signal with Netbook but none with desktop

I recently purchased a Kworld USB ATSC Stick. I can scan for and get reception on several channels with it when using it with my netbook. I hooked the stick up to my home computer tower, Keeping my antenna in the exact same spot, and still using the same extension cable I had used to hook it into the netbook. I'm getting no signal when I do a scan with the PC. Could there be an interference signal being sent back down the usb cable to the stick, preventing me from getting reception? The chassis of the PC is aluminum, if that makes a difference. As my PC has additional storage to use the PVR functionality and a bigger monitor then the netbook, does anyone know how I could get this working with my PC? I'm using the RCA ANT1050 from this thread on Redflagdeals; not the best antenna, I know, but better then the tiny one that comes with the unit. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-10-19, 11:46 AM

Check the USB port on the computer and for proper installation of the software. Try a different USB port.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-10-19, 11:56 AM
Veteran

in addition, what is the operating system on both machines and
what software are ya using?

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-10-19, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Some things to try:

1) To see if Interference from the desktop is the culprit, wrap Aluminum Foil around the tuner and at least a foot along the cables going in and out of the USB Stick. And since interference can readily leak from the desktop to the antenna, use a 25 to 50-ft length of coax and temporarily relocate the antenna....preferable outside.....and see it reception improves. Open up the Alum. Foil in between tests so the USB Stick doesn't overhead. You should rewrap it each time you try the following software checks.

2) If you haven't already tried it, remove and reinstall the K-World Driver and Display Software from the supplied disk.

3) Although I would expect the installation software would automatically check (maybe it didn't?), System Requirements on K-World website for (ONLY?) the Hybrid Stick says you need a Graphics Card that supports DirectX 9.0c and (for HD) DXVA.....and they cite particular ATI & nVidia graphics engines....or better. Download latest software for your Graphics Card from the manufacturer's website...don't rely on Windows Update.
http://global.kworld-global.com/main...d=6&prodid=512
http://global.kworld-global.com/main...d=6&prodid=824

Info re DXVA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration
It means you need a Graphics Card that has an on-board HARDWARE ACCELERATOR which supports DXVA.

4) Download page for TiVme also says you need to have downloaded and installed Microsoft .NET Framework v3.0 or higher (check for latest version using Windows Update).

5) Using the K-World Download page, remove and reinstall Driver and TiVme software with the known good, latest versions. ALSO download and install the alternative HyperMedia Center (in beta test) program that you can try to see if it works any different:
http://global.kworld-global.com/main...d=6&prodid=824

6) You didn't say which USB Stick you have. If you have the Hybrid version, you could use the Ch3/4 output from a VCR (or other box) to see if the USB Stick is capable of processing a strong ANALOG signal....doesn't PROVE whether ATSC will work, but checks a lot of other things....

7) For either USB Stick, same test could be conducted with Clear QAM signals if you (or a friend) have Cable....and the provider hasn't killed off ALL of the Clear QAM channels (like some COMCAST systems).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. It was as simple as moving it to a USB port on the back of my computer from the port on the top of the case. I've got it hooked into a USB 3.0 port, since I read the greater power it provides may be of help. I might try a USB 2.0 back port for comparison later. I've got CBC, CityTV, and Omni, but no Global or CTV; I've now got to try and find an antenna that'll work through all the concrete in my building, and the surrounding towers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in