HD Satellite TV to HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HD Satellite TV to HTPC

I currently have a HTPC running xmbc and i was hoping to be able to buy an hd tv tuner card for my pc to beable to stream live tv. Unfortunately i cannot find any current information on this. I would like to use bell expressvu or shaw but if there are others that you can suggest that will work it would be awsome. I really dislike the idea of having to use the companines pvrs because i find they have a low amount of storage and take up a significant amount of room for next to no functions.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The only option for streaming from a provider is an Hauppauge HDPVR discussed in a couple of threads in the HTPC Forum here. The signals are encrypted and you need a STB to decode them first.

Here's the FAQ on Recording HD with the links to the Hauppauge included:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

OTA signals can, of course, be recording using an HTPC with the appropriate hardware/software - also discussed in the HTPC forum here.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:46 PM

actually, Hauppauge also makes the Colossus PCI card for internal use in a HTPC. I have one of each, and they both work well

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe they are both called Hauppauge HDPVRs and both links are in the FAQ I provided. One is internal, one is external.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That kinda sucks. I was wondering if there is a possiblity to buy one of the devices used in europe that had the smart card reader, and has the ability to select a boxkey. I could then buy a bell box get it linked with that box key and then stick the smart key into my pc tv tuner?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 03:55 PM

Nope, not possible in Canada. Discussed many times on the forum. CableCARD was one option for the US, but it's not used by any cable providers in Canada and Satellite providers don't have it either.

You need the provider's PVR or a STB/Hauppauge. STB/Firewire is also discussed in the FAQ, but it's got its own limitations.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Really so dumb. I thought if i pulled the boxkeys i could get bell to marry my card to the tv tuner that allows you to custom set a boxkey. I was under the impression after reading many different forms that it was possible because they have tuners in europe that work for satellite and then all we need to do i get bell to activate our card with the "reciever" aka the tv tuner.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-16, 09:02 AM
Veteran

That is not discussable here. The only legitimate way, as far as DHC goes, to get an encrypted provider into an HTPC, is with one of those Hauppauge component capture devices from the official provider box.

ETA, Bell will not authorize other than their box for use with their service.

Both providers have HDD expansion capabilities though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-11-24, 02:27 AM
Rookie

Would like to cap sat TV

First post.

I'd like to sign up for sat TV through a provider, then run it through a dvb tuner.

I understand in the states you can do this with a cablecard? compatible tuner card, where you just plug your card in, and away you go.

However it seems initially that neither TELUS nor Bell publically support using the card approach to my knowledge.

If I have to go the STB -> Analog hole -> HD PVR route, I'll just keep using my TTV boxes.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-11-24 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Merged threads
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-11-24, 09:21 AM
Rookie

You can always take the HDMI out of the Sat Box and into a Haupage HD Recording device in the PC.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-11-24, 09:44 AM

Although there has been some success using HDMI if the signal is not encrypted, most providers have an encrypted signal and therefore you need to use component video to the Hauppauge.

Here's the FAQ on Recording HD with two links to the two Hauppauge HDPVRs included.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

Here's someone who has used HDMI with Bell, similar to Telus:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...46#post1873146

Here's a useful post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-11-25, 04:45 PM
Veteran

There are some devices that actually strip the HDCP encryption from an HDMI port that are sold above table - I believe there is a Monoprice device that does this.

In answer to the OP - you used to be able to modify a satellite box and that would allow you to use firewire to capture the video from your box. This was called the R5000 mod but I don't know that you can still do it on current generation sat boxes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-11-26, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Cablecard is only for cable, and only in the US.

No Canadian satellite provider supports other than their box to receive service.
Same for most cable and IPTV providers.

I don't know what Bell/Telus offer for their basic HD box, but Shaw Direct no longer offer a non-DVR HD receiver with component out. Your options with Shaw Direct are the 600 basic receiver (HDMI and composite out), and 630 (DVR, with HDMI, composite, and component).
You would have to hunt for a 605 (630, less HDD and second tuner), or miss channels with a 505 (it does not get the new MPEG4 channels).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-12-11, 08:14 PM

There is a thing similar to cablecard available for satellites but it isn't in Canada either. My TBS6925 satellite card allows for connecting a USB smartcard reader to the computer to decrypt the signal instead of using a regular receiver.
Maybe you want a skywalker to make legal backups of what you've paid for.
Steve

Tags
bell sat , bell tv , htpc , satellite tv , tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in