HDTV on HTPC in canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HDTV on HTPC in canada?

Hey since analogue cable isn't really a thing here in Toronto anymore I'm looking for a way to get live hdtv on my htpc. I DON'T want to buy a receiver unless I absolutely must, and want to find a way to watch HD tv on my htpc and would switch to any provider to do so. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 08:28 PM

Would you switch to over the air broadcast?
Toronto has one of the best reception areas.
you can check what you should/might get at TVFool.com

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I do use ota but don't get most of the channels I watch with it (discovery, amc etc)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 08:45 PM
Veteran

OTA augmented with streaming video services really is the way to go for HTPC users. Especially with services like Unblock-Us which would give you access to content that you can't normally get in Canada.

Encrypted QAM signals are more trouble than they're worth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-03, 12:31 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you want a provider, then you can use the Hauppauge HDPVR with a STB from a provider. Here's the FAQ on Recording HD. See the links in there for the Hauppauge and other explanations. The easiest way with a provider though is to use their PVR.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099 Recording HD

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-03, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Let me be the first to caution you against the Hauppauge HD PVR if you're hoping to have a reliable setup. That product is notoriously unreliable. I used it for a couple years (2008 to 2010), and it was a never ending quest for reliability.

Full moon or high tide would cause it to freeze. Search the internet and you'll find all sorts of people having problems with stability and ending up with no resolution to their issues.

I eventually concluded that I was not going to pay my cable company to provide a encrypted signal that would cause me to jump through all sorts of hoops and cause me to buy expensive decoding hardware to use. Consider that for each channel you want to record concurrently you'll require a HD PVR, a set top box, and a lot of cables. And after spending all that money (at the time the per-channel cost for me was ~$700 because the STBs were expensive and the HD PVR was $200) you still end up with a inelegant and unreliable solution for recording HDTV channels. And this is if you value your time at $0.

When you compare that to Hulu Plus at $8/month and Unblock-Us at $5/month, a bunch of streaming video sources that are free, you can get practically all the good content that is out there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-03, 02:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I DON'T want to buy a receiver unless I absolutely must,
The short answer is that a receiver is required for HD. The good news is that there are some good deals around on HD PVR receivers. Rogers has a promotion that provides free rent on a 3 year rent-to-own plan. Get the Nextbox 3, not the Nextbox 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in