Roku 3 + Hockeystreams + Netflix = cut cord - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Roku 3 + Hockeystreams + Netflix = cut cord

Hey guys,

I had been a BellTV subscriber almost since they launched their initial Satellite offerings in the mid-90s. Went through the SD to HD transition, added new LNB's, cut down trees that grew up and blocked the signal, eventually raised my dish. Essentially, I gave Bell on the average about ~$100 per month for the past 180 months. For my ~$18,000 spent, I got 20-30 call minute hold times, shows programmed when the networks wanted, hundreds of dollars in upgrade costs when I wanted new HD equipment or a PVR, hours and hours of blaring commercials and a fairly good picture quality on most stations (probably 200+ in the guide and 5-10 that we actually watched).

I've also been a SageTV user since 2005 and invested time and money to build an excellent whole home PVR that automated program recording, skipped commercial content automatically, integrated our home photos, videos and music all on a single device. The solution was so good, that Google purchased Sage about 18 months ago and now use them for their Google Fiber STB and DVR offering -- kept online support for the product alive (thankfully) but stopped all further development.

In the end, the quality of network programming has dropped so much, that our home TV habits never see us watch major network shows, so paying for a large monthly subscription and running the Sage service at home was no longer worth it. In our house we now watch a combination of NHL hockey, some kids cartoons via YouTube and a couple of good niche shows on Netflix (Breaking Bad, Californication, Mad Men, House of Cards etc).

So, this past week, I cut the cord. Purchased a new Roku 3, and on the Roku added a subscription to Hockeystreams.com (all NHL, AHL, Junior games in HD) added in the Netflix channel and several other interesting ones. Total investment $110 (Roku), $120 (Hockeystreams) + $96 (annually for Netflix). My monthly cost drops from ~$100 to $18. I get better content, watched when and where I want and I am a happy guy.

I will now be retiring my SageTV server, all the content recording and streaming gear. I will probably shut off about 40lbs of equipment that gets replaced by a Roku box that is the size of a small pack of smokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 11:30 AM

Enjoyed your post very much GearGuyBC.
Thanks for taking the time to spell that all out.
I've cut the cord as well but don't have a Roku or Netflix <yet>. For now our household is living off OTA content, internet video and our movie collection. I am going to consider looking at more options though.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Location: Aylmer, Maurice St-Louis, CM4228HD +RCA pre-amp in the attic
Hey GearguyBC,

How is hockeystreams? Isnt there a chance it would be shutdown any moment, thus you could loose all your money?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-09-30, 01:46 AM

hockeystreams is what I'm curious about as well
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-09-30, 07:19 AM

I've been using hockeystreams for 3 seasons now and there's never been a problem
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-09, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Location: Aylmer, Maurice St-Louis, CM4228HD +RCA pre-amp in the attic
Got a one month membership. So far so good, really good quality.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 08:58 PM
Veteran

I tried it last year. It works well, many different options for configuration. I haven't purchased it yet this year. May do it soon though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in