Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience

Last Thursday, I walked into Best Buy and there was the Roku 3!

I picked it up and went straight to the checkout. ( As an aside, I was extremely irritated that I had to pay over $20 in taxes! 13% HST plus $7.10 for environmental disposal fee. Frankly, $7.10 seems incredibly high for this little device)

Anyway my hatred for the Ontario government eased greatly once I got home and got to play with my new toy.

I had the Roku 3 hooked up and running in about five minutes. I connected it to my VPN router so Roku thinks that the device is in the USA so I had the option to use several US channels that aren't available here in Canada.

I set it up first wirelessly but after a few days I flipped to wired. Despite a strong signal and wireless N, I still found performance superior with a wired connection.

I am using the Roku for three things: Netflix, Plex and VEMO.

After four days of use, all I can say is "WOW". The interface is fast and buttery smooth. Plex works like a charm so the family can watch all the shows and movies on our server. The Netflix app is very nice and being on the VPN, my family now has access to much more content. VEMO is fun when you want to watch the latest music video. I have checked out some other channels but I didn't find any that really interested me and I'm not interested in playing Angry Birds on my TV.

For backgroun, I have had several Apple TVs, several WDTV Live devices and various other streamers. IMO, the Roku 3 is the best of the lot.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Apple TV and WDTV live but.... the reason I like Roku over Apple TV 3 is there is a Plex app for Roku. (yes I know about Plex for jailbroken ATV2 but it doesn't support 1080p and its a hack which causes extra headaches and Yes I know about Plex Connect for ATV3 but its a kludge). The reason I like Roku over WDTV live because the interface is faster, there are more channels available and their is a native Plex app whereas WDTV can only access Plex via DLNA.

All in all, I am very happy with the Roku 3 and am thinking of buying a second the next time I am south of the border.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

One apparent downside of this device. You can't seem to shut it off which offends my green side and may prevent me from getting a second.

post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 01:58 PM

Can you tell me, does roku 3 have slingplayer?

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

don't know.

post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 02:52 PM

So if you currently have an Apple TV 2 (like I do) using plex connect with some issues but not overly annoying would you still choose the Roku 3 over the Apple TV? When the plex connect does not work I just end up using my sons ipad with airplay to get a show from plex going quickly using the app on it. I have a backup device in the iPad setup but I am curious if the Roku is that much better than the Apple TV. We only use it for plex as I have no interest in Netflix, US channels or plex channels for that matter. I don't have or utilize a US VPN either even though I have been considering it.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

QS, I got rid of my ATV2 (which I loved) sometime ago because I wanted 1080 playback. The Roku 3 actually replaced a Mac Mini which had replaced the ATV2. I found the Mac Mini as an HTPC device to be a pain in the butt.

Regarding your situation. If all you're playing is 720p files or lower and don't mind the work to keep the Plex hack working then I would stick to your ATV2. ATV3 if you don't mind the Plex Connect kluge and are in the Apple Ecosystem. Roku 3 for the best Plex setup.

having said all that, I am a big fan of WDTV, Apple and Roku so I really hope this thread stays on topic and does not start Apple bashing.

post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 03:26 PM

My biggest complaint on the wdtv is the speed of using the menu. it's laggy and just, plain slow. The R3 looks much snappier. Shame it doesn't have slingplayer. Would switch in a heartbeat.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 04:14 PM
Rookie

I guess I'm not sure what the problem was - vis a vis the ATV. I have 1080p with the ATV3 and using a Mac mini as my media/iTunes server I was able to access all my media on my computer direct without using any Plex.

Not sure what VEMO is but the ATV has Vimeo and Vevo if you meant either of those… I was thinking of getting the Roku3 just for the private channels, but in the end decided not to. I don't have enough time to watch all the Podcasts i have through the ATV and YouTube, so I would have just been adding to the backlog.

By the way for those who have an ATV and a Mac or iPad, did you know you can watch CNN live (or any other news service it seems) using Airplay on your TV? I just stumbled across this great website (and no I have no affiliation with it) www.playlivenews.com !
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Does it support Airplay? ie. sending video from the ipad to the Roku.

I use that function a lot with my ATV2 but have been having horrendous HDCP problems with it and am wondering if it's not just easier to put in an entirely new device rather than go through all the re-cabling etc to track the problem down.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 04:59 PM

I also have a Mac Mini as my Plex client and Server that connects to a NAS that house the 720p content for me. I find it terrible with Plex due to wake up issues, resolution problems after starting up for Plex and general annoyances with the Harmony remote as well.
The Roku 3 sounds like it might be good to replace both my Apple TV2 and Mac Mini as playback devices. I could run the Plex server on my iMac and just use 2 of those for clients.

Thanks for the review Hugh. I do mind the kludge of plex connect and the HTPC issues with my mini. I just don't have the time anymore to mess with stuff and I just need it to work.
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 06:32 PM

@ hugh - is the interface of the roku3 the same as the Roku2? what the difference between the two? do you know?
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 06:35 PM

I got the answer to the difference between the two....http://www.roku.com/ca/choose-your-roku
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 07:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
...( As an aside, I was extremely irritated that I had to pay over $20 in taxes! 13% HST plus $7.10 for environmental disposal fee. Frankly, $7.10 seems incredibly high for this little device)....
Sounds like it's time to move to Alberta. Or pick one of these up in the US if you can - you can easily find the Roku3 for $84 there including a HDMI cable.

Quote:
After four days of use, all I can say is "WOW". The interface is fast and buttery smooth. Plex works like a charm so the family can watch all the shows and movies on our server. The Netflix app is very nice ...
A couple of Netflix interface tips most people don't know:
  1. If you use the right/left fast forward buttons you can jump forward/backwards a full screen of titles at one time instead of the slower way of using the arrows with only advance you one title at a time.
  2. You can press "*" on any title and then search for movies like that one.

Quote:
One apparent downside of this device. You can't seem to shut it off which offends my green side and may prevent me from getting a second.
You can't shut off the ATV2/3 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Can you tell me, does roku 3 have slingplayer?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So if you currently have an Apple TV 2 (like I do) using plex connect with some issues but not overly annoying would you still choose the Roku 3 over the Apple TV?
If having a non-IR (wifi) remote and the ability to connect your headphones to the remote are of interest to you then "yes". But if Netflix profiles are important then "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
Does it support Airplay? ie. sending video from the ipad to the Roku.
Not Airplay but there are some apps that do something similar, including their own App for iOS & Android. And they've been talking about Miracast for a long time and recently there was a CNET report on them supporting DIAL to make it similar to the Chromecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghai View Post
@ hugh - is the interface of the roku3 the same as the Roku2? what the difference between the two? do you know?
The Roku3 has the new interface where you see a "grid" of icons. The old interface was a long horizontal "strip" of icons.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 08:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
You can't shut off the ATV2/3 either.
False. You can and I do.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-17, 08:48 PM
Veteran

You mean the "sleep" option? Ever monitored it with a power meter? I've measured both over 48 hours when not in use. Both of them hardly even register.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in