Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience

84K views 91 replies 25 participants last post by  Kloraff 
#1 ·
Last Thursday, I walked into Best Buy and there was the Roku 3!

I picked it up and went straight to the checkout. ( As an aside, I was extremely irritated that I had to pay over $20 in taxes! 13% HST plus $7.10 for environmental disposal fee. Frankly, $7.10 seems incredibly high for this little device)

Anyway my hatred for the Ontario government eased greatly once I got home and got to play with my new toy.

I had the Roku 3 hooked up and running in about five minutes. I connected it to my VPN router so Roku thinks that the device is in the USA so I had the option to use several US channels that aren't available here in Canada.

I set it up first wirelessly but after a few days I flipped to wired. Despite a strong signal and wireless N, I still found performance superior with a wired connection.

I am using the Roku for three things: Netflix, Plex and VEMO.

After four days of use, all I can say is "WOW". The interface is fast and buttery smooth. Plex works like a charm so the family can watch all the shows and movies on our server. The Netflix app is very nice and being on the VPN, my family now has access to much more content. VEMO is fun when you want to watch the latest music video. I have checked out some other channels but I didn't find any that really interested me and I'm not interested in playing Angry Birds on my TV.

For backgroun, I have had several Apple TVs, several WDTV Live devices and various other streamers. IMO, the Roku 3 is the best of the lot.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Apple TV and WDTV live but.... the reason I like Roku over Apple TV 3 is there is a Plex app for Roku. (yes I know about Plex for jailbroken ATV2 but it doesn't support 1080p and its a hack which causes extra headaches and Yes I know about Plex Connect for ATV3 but its a kludge). The reason I like Roku over WDTV live because the interface is faster, there are more channels available and their is a native Plex app whereas WDTV can only access Plex via DLNA.

All in all, I am very happy with the Roku 3 and am thinking of buying a second the next time I am south of the border.

See less See more
#2 ·
One apparent downside of this device. You can't seem to shut it off which offends my green side and may prevent me from getting a second.

#5 ·
So if you currently have an Apple TV 2 (like I do) using plex connect with some issues but not overly annoying would you still choose the Roku 3 over the Apple TV? When the plex connect does not work I just end up using my sons ipad with airplay to get a show from plex going quickly using the app on it. I have a backup device in the iPad setup but I am curious if the Roku is that much better than the Apple TV. We only use it for plex as I have no interest in Netflix, US channels or plex channels for that matter. I don't have or utilize a US VPN either even though I have been considering it.

#6 ·
QS, I got rid of my ATV2 (which I loved) sometime ago because I wanted 1080 playback. The Roku 3 actually replaced a Mac Mini which had replaced the ATV2. I found the Mac Mini as an HTPC device to be a pain in the butt.

Regarding your situation. If all you're playing is 720p files or lower and don't mind the work to keep the Plex hack working then I would stick to your ATV2. ATV3 if you don't mind the Plex Connect kluge and are in the Apple Ecosystem. Roku 3 for the best Plex setup.

having said all that, I am a big fan of WDTV, Apple and Roku so I really hope this thread stays on topic and does not start Apple bashing.

#8 ·
I guess I'm not sure what the problem was - vis a vis the ATV. I have 1080p with the ATV3 and using a Mac mini as my media/iTunes server I was able to access all my media on my computer direct without using any Plex.

Not sure what VEMO is but the ATV has Vimeo and Vevo if you meant either of those… I was thinking of getting the Roku3 just for the private channels, but in the end decided not to. I don't have enough time to watch all the Podcasts i have through the ATV and YouTube, so I would have just been adding to the backlog.

By the way for those who have an ATV and a Mac or iPad, did you know you can watch CNN live (or any other news service it seems) using Airplay on your TV? I just stumbled across this great website (and no I have no affiliation with it) www.playlivenews.com !

#9 ·
Does it support Airplay? ie. sending video from the ipad to the Roku.

I use that function a lot with my ATV2 but have been having horrendous HDCP problems with it and am wondering if it's not just easier to put in an entirely new device rather than go through all the re-cabling etc to track the problem down.

#10 ·
I also have a Mac Mini as my Plex client and Server that connects to a NAS that house the 720p content for me. I find it terrible with Plex due to wake up issues, resolution problems after starting up for Plex and general annoyances with the Harmony remote as well.
The Roku 3 sounds like it might be good to replace both my Apple TV2 and Mac Mini as playback devices. I could run the Plex server on my iMac and just use 2 of those for clients.

Thanks for the review Hugh. I do mind the kludge of plex connect and the HTPC issues with my mini. I just don't have the time anymore to mess with stuff and I just need it to work.

#13 ·
...( As an aside, I was extremely irritated that I had to pay over $20 in taxes! 13% HST plus $7.10 for environmental disposal fee. Frankly, $7.10 seems incredibly high for this little device)....
Sounds like it's time to move to Alberta. Or pick one of these up in the US if you can - you can easily find the Roku3 for $84 there including a HDMI cable.

After four days of use, all I can say is "WOW". The interface is fast and buttery smooth. Plex works like a charm so the family can watch all the shows and movies on our server. The Netflix app is very nice ...
A couple of Netflix interface tips most people don't know:

1. If you use the right/left fast forward buttons you can jump forward/backwards a full screen of titles at one time instead of the slower way of using the arrows with only advance you one title at a time.
  2. You can press "*" on any title and then search for movies like that one.

One apparent downside of this device. You can't seem to shut it off which offends my green side and may prevent me from getting a second.
You can't shut off the ATV2/3 either.

Can you tell me, does roku 3 have slingplayer?
No

So if you currently have an Apple TV 2 (like I do) using plex connect with some issues but not overly annoying would you still choose the Roku 3 over the Apple TV?
If having a non-IR (wifi) remote and the ability to connect your headphones to the remote are of interest to you then "yes". But if Netflix profiles are important then "no".

Does it support Airplay? ie. sending video from the ipad to the Roku.
Not Airplay but there are some apps that do something similar, including their own App for iOS & Android. And they've been talking about Miracast for a long time and recently there was a CNET report on them supporting DIAL to make it similar to the Chromecast.

@ hugh - is the interface of the roku3 the same as the Roku2? what the difference between the two? do you know?
The Roku3 has the new interface where you see a "grid" of icons. The old interface was a long horizontal "strip" of icons.

#17 ·
I have had my Roku 3 for a few months (bought in the US for $99 + 6% tax). I also have a Roku 2 (upgraded UI). I also have three ATV's, 2 jailbroken, and an ATV3. My ATV's now gather dust. The jb process is a pain.

I run Plex on the Roku's, and Plex server on a Mac mini. The Roku uses so little power (8 watts I believe) they stay on all the time. My mac Mini is the same, but at 30 watts it is way less than my clunker Windows 7 PC (i7) at 200 - 300 watts. The mac Mini is also my main home computer that runs everything else.

I also run Hulu Plus on my Roku, and use unblock-us (at the router level) to gain access to top notch US TV shows.

I really like the Roku, and the app market takes them over top of the ATV. I am an Apple convert, but for these two comparable devices, ROKU wins IMHO.

Now, I'd like to see a Roku app that let's me watch live TV using my HDHR network tuner (I can do this with my iPad's but not the Roku).

#21 ·
I have been reading up on Plex on the Roku and from what I gather there is basically one view for movies, tv shows etc. Is it side scrolling thumbnails of your media? I cannot see myself scrolling through over 250 movies to find what I want to watch and certainly my wife and son won't do that either. Plex looks rather bland compared to the Apple TV and certainly the Mac client interface but thats to be expected. Is it really that neutered?

#23 ·
I'd say the eye candy of the Roku is pretty good. Plex is similar to Netflix in that there is a menu item for recent additions. That lets me quickly find my most likely viewing choice. I have a large video library of everything I have purchased on DVD and Bluray over the years.

You can create your own "groups" for things like movies, so I have one for "Classics", "Home Video", "Kids Movies", "and "Recorded TV Shows".

Plex automatically grabs all movie metadata, allows me to change the cover, etc. It transcodes as well, so I store movies in .mkv format or whatever, and they simply play.

For me PLEX is also appealing because there is an iPhone app, iPad app, and even one for my Samsung TV (so for that TV I don't even need a Roku). PLEX allows remote access so I can play my movies or Recorded TV shows on my iPad from anywhere in the world.

I also snag (one click shortcut) web video's with "Plex It" and these are instantly linked to a PLEX menu item called "queue". Plex also has a channel for YouTube which gets around the fact that the ROKU doesn't have a native Youtube app. There are lots of channels available using PLEX.

If Apple ever opened up the ATV to an App market, I'm sure PLEX would be available, and then I would dust off those devices and use them again. However, the Roku's would remain as well.

#24 ·
Thanks. I am more concerned with scrolling from left to right through my library. I am not much for browsing any other way than my whole library. Not sure why but the only other time I deviate from it is when I go to recently added. Plex on Apple TV certainly looks better than the Roku. Hopefully they will update the app soon. I am curious how fast it scrolls though and if it flashes the letter(s) you are going through as it does on my mac mini.

#25 ·
With the sections you can re-order the appearance so my tv and movie sections are set up in the following manner

Recently Added
All Shows / Movies
By First Letter

This makes finding a movie much easier if its not near the top.

FWIW, I'm still partial to the Plex client on Windows or the Mac but the ability to customize the layout really does help make it easier. The other aspect I like is speed. I find the interface very responsive so it doesn't seem like a hassle to find what I am looking for.

Finally, what I like the most is that in a week, I haven't had to "fix" problems with the HTPC or explain anything to anyone. Nice when you have four people using it daily.

#27 ·
Hmm, interesting. I just may pick one of these up. I have a computer hooked right up to my main tv, but using programs like XBMC aren't friendly with remotes. Maybe I'll get one of these and just set it up on the same tv, to make it easier to access tv shows and movies for the rest of the family.

#28 ·
Bought a Roku 3 today to hookup for my brother in law at his Florida condo. They have Netflix and I thought it would be cool to buy them a Roku for letting us use the condo. Cool device and I like that it's fast. But I just want to say I'm extremely disappointed that you need to register and provide a credit card number just to set it up.

I've now used my name and CC and I guess eventually I'll have to cancel my info and switch over. But it just irks me I couldn't skip that step. It even says in the Roku support you can almost immediately cancel your registered CC after setting up. So then that shows they don't need that info. Anyway rant over. Back to enjoying the device.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Well if you want to rant about the Roku how about:
  • No Netflix profiles
  • No Netflix "for Kids"
  • No movie/TV rental service supported natively in Canada
  • No YouTube app
  • No LT model in Canada

I know, you could say that the first 3 are due to the app developers and not Roku. But it's also the fact that they don't support HTML5 based apps that really limits them on all but the last one. It's really that they're becoming a pretty obscure development platform (which is their fault) that is keeping the apps out.

This is really like a smaller version of the Blackberry story. Remember the Roku was the original Netflix streaming device and the original name was something like those words. Now all of these apps (i.e. Netflix/Youtube) have gone HTML5 and Roku's inability or lack of desire to support that is slowly leaving them in the dust.

I've got three Roku's so far. Unless there's some big changes soon I don't think I'll ever own a 4th.

#31 ·
Just want to post that the Roku 3 is not the device to buy for a friend and hookup for them. Just the fact Roku wants your credit card for setup is silly enough. I set one up for my brother in law at his Florida condo now, and I took off my credit card, but the box is registered to my name and email at Roku.com. But at least no one is logged into Netflix now so the first time they try to log into Netflix it will ask them for them login info. If I unregister my name/email from the box, then they'll be asked for their credit card to set the box up. I just can't justify explaining to them that they need a CC to setup the box. So I'll leave it as it is. If anyone else is looking to do what I did, I suggest trying some other box. I had limited time at the condo so couldn't be bothered to hop back and forth to the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.