Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-05, 04:35 PM
Veteran

I have a core 2 duo desktop PC running Linux and Plex in the basement. CTV News Channel was available on Roku via Plex but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I will have to check out the CBC stuff. I've had two Plex streams to two Rokus running at the same time no problem. That said, its wired connections to both. Sadly I still have to fire up the Xbox 360 for the live tv stuff. Still haven't found a way to get that on Roku yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-06, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Can you get broadcast networks - Canada (CBC, CTV, Global, CITY, etc) and US (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc)?
I have seen references to USTVNOW. I assume that is a paid service.
I havn't found an easy way to get CBC, CTV or Global etc on the Roku, but I really wish I could. (My service provider dropped CTV and Global on demand content a while ago)

I have looked into the USTVNOW channel. It is a service offered to U.S. residents who are living in Canada. It provides 6 channels for FREE (i.e. ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS and probably MyTV9 or CW) or up to 28 U.S. cable channels for a fee (~20$/mo). I was going to try it out but as soon as it tryed to synchronize with my Facebook profile to validate my address (don't know how it knew I had one) and read the disclaimer about needing to be a U.S. resident to use the service, I decided not to bother since I had those channels on cable anyway.

There is a channel called Livestream that offers some free content from lots of the FOX networks and several other independents but I believe it is mostly local programming, not prime time network programming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in