Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 04:11 PM
Veteran

This is a fantastic read / breakdown of my understanding of it. Basically TOSLINK has the bandwidth to give you 5.1 DD and DTS core. Anything higher than those such as DD+, DTS-HR, (HD Lossy examples) TrueHD DTS-HD MA (HD Lossless examples) require a connection with more bandwidth such as HDMI.

And no, not all TVs will output 5.1 over their TosLink output. I was shocked to find my new at the time Panny plasma didn't do this when my old DLP RP did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 04:44 PM
dgm

And no, not all TVs will output 5.1 over their TosLink output. I was shocked to find my new at the time Panny plasma didn't do this when my old DLP RP did.[/QUOTE]

My understanding on the "TV out" issue is that it is another HDMI-digital-IP-rights issue. Recent Toshiba and Samsung sets I have worked on lately will output "off the air" DD5.1 to TOS link fine but will downmix input HTMI 5.1 to stereo.

Nonsense
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 04:50 PM

TV out restrictions I understand, but doesnt say an Apple TV output DD 5.1 over its optical output?? I thought it did ( eg: here and other sources) but I may be mistaken. Thats all I was hoping for on the Roku3.

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA

post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Anything higher than those such as DD+, DTS-HR, (HD Lossy examples) TrueHD DTS-HD MA (HD Lossless examples) require a connection with more bandwidth such as HDMI.
Strictly speaking, this is not the case. Optical SPDIF can handle all audio codecs under the sun and then some...
The standard is limiting it to 640kbps DD / 1500kbps DTS. Hence, the receiving silicon doesn't have to know anything else.

And those guys will never miss an opportunity to create a new connector, license authority, etc. to make you buy new hardware...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm View Post
...it is another HDMI-digital-IP-rights issue.
That is only the beginning. Just wait for Cinavia to go mainstream.
Ripped copies would not be playable with any brand name player, hardware or software: audio won't be there at all...

Movies in the clouds, Ultraviolet-style with pay-per-view structure is the studious' dream...
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 08:38 PM

Wow, it took them 11 years to come up with something that will take 2 weeks to crack when it gets implemented on something people want to see. Cheers to the source code being on a 2600 T-Shirt sometime soon.
We are getting off topic but not really. People will be migrating from purpose built players to "HTPC"s and other media boxes because of stuff like this. People will revolt when they want to upgrade their PVR and realize that they can't get anything off of it because of encryption.
Steve
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-17, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
People will be migrating from purpose built players to "HTPC"s...
People will revolt...
Nah...
Studious have a better chance to lock up their content than for your prediction to come true...

One day the optical disc will be gone. That will be the day they win...
post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-18, 02:58 AM
Veteran

@four Strictly speaking, who cares? From a practical usable sense those are the rules! For better or worse, they are what they are.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-18, 09:48 AM

True. Unfortunately...
post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four View Post
Nah...
Studious have a better chance to lock up their content than for your prediction to come true...

One day the optical disc will be gone. That will be the day they win...
the optiical disc isnt gone but your close. i cant remember who, paramount maybe? but releases to dvd are on their way out.
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-01, 09:40 PM

Location: saskatchewan. HDTV provider-Access Communications, an independent co-op
what free content is available with a ROKU 3 in Canada?

what free content is available with a ROKU 3 in Canada?

ROKU website is rather terse on this subject.

Thanks in advance

HDTV - the picture looks better but it does not help the plot
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-02, 01:42 PM

There is tons of free content for Roku in Canada. Unfortunately there is not an easy list that I can point you to. If you were to say, make a list of channels that you're interested in based on their website, I can easily say yes or no to each item.

Here are some examples (that are FREE) :

YES (available in Canada):

Crackle
VEVO
NASA TV
RT
Sky News
NFB Films
Revision3 (stuff from Discovery Channel online brands)
TWiT.TV
CNET
TED Talks
RadioU
PRESTO (a fireplace channel)
Religious channels like: EWTN, GOD TV, Hope Channel, Daystar, TBN and many many more...

NO (NOT in Canada):

A&E
History
PBS
Hulu
FOX
Lifetime
Smithsonian
Disney Channel
Disney Junior
Disney XD
Hasbro
...and just about any other thing that sounds like a channel on TV (with some exceptions if you're NOT concerned with FREE.)
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 08:01 AM

I also get CBC on my Roku, but I need to go through PLEX to get it which is a PITA. However, it does work well and just about every show and news station (across Canada) is available.
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-04, 01:43 PM

Location: saskatchewan. HDTV provider-Access Communications, an independent co-op
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloraff View Post
There is tons of free content for Roku in Canada. Unfortunately there is not an easy list that I can point you to. If you were to say, make a list of channels that you're interested in based on their website, I can easily say yes or no to each item.

Here are some examples (that are FREE) :

YES (available in Canada):

<original quoted content removed for brevity>

Can you get broadcast networks - Canada (CBC, CTV, Global, CITY, etc) and US (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc)?
I have seen references to USTVNOW. I assume that is a paid service.

post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-04, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno10000 View Post
I also get CBC on my Roku, but I need to go through PLEX to get it which is a PITA. However, it does work well and just about every show and news station (across Canada) is available.
I've seen references to PLEX as media server software.
Is it available as a service so that I don't have to set up my own server?

post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 2014-03-04, 10:39 PM

The only thing I think you could do is share someone else's PLEX server. I run PLEX on a mac mini that is on 24/7/365. It would be nice to figure out how to get CBC as a direct channel (I think it is would be possible to do) on the ROKU, although I'd still use PLEX for sharing my media library with family in other cities. I also have Hulu Plus on my Roku and I use that a lot for watching mainstream TV shows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in