Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 11:54 AM

Unblock-US doesn't route every single packet of traffic through a remote destination the way a VPN does. It's smart enough to know which sites need to see a US IP address and which don't, and only redirects traffic for the ones that require it. That's why web sites that display your IP address reflect your true address. With a VPN they'll reflect the address of the VPN server that is acting as your gateway to the rest of the internet.

For a Roku (or any other device) you'll know that Unblock-US is working if you see content from the US Netflix catalog. For example, search for "Star Trek" - if you're getting US content you should see all of the Star Trek TV series. This web site has a great database of what shows/movies are available from various streaming services including country-specific info: http://www.moreflicks.com/

Something to be aware of with a Roku is that owner.roku.com limits the "channels" you see to those available for the country of your Roku account. If you want to be able to install a US-only channel like Hulu, you must create your Roku account after Unblock-US is working and use a US address: http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...p-roku-players

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-02-17 at 05:05 PM. Reason: affiliate links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 12:12 PM

rosenqui - all great points - thanks

1) Re VPN, yes, now understand I dont need to hide my IP for roku to work. I still want to explore VPN and IP masking as an option (like the OP) once I figure out how. For now, I am going to use unblock-us to get started - seems much simpler (now that I got the dual router thing working).

2) Re "you'll know that Unblock-US is working ", excellent info. Tips like looking for Star Trek is exactly what I wanted to know, ie the Roku litmus test to confirm it works (other than just relying on the "All Right" confimation for unblock). I will be connecting the Roku this weekend.

3) Re setting up the Roku account last, after unblock is working, agree and thats what I did and I did get All Right" confirmation . Used a US address and Paypal. I didnt want to use my TD US VISA plus US phony billing adress (as billing info would not match). And I didnt want to use (but could have I suppose based on other posts) a Canadian VISA plus real Canadian address.

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 10:05 PM

Well, connected the roku and completed the setup.

Before doing so, I got the ALL RIGHT confirmation from unblock

I got the VERIFIED confirmation from unblock, right done to US netflix.

BUT IT WAS ALL A DISASTER.

Everything on roku is 100 % Canadian. No US content. Can't even search Even the owners page as a Canadian flag at the bottom.

So, not sure what to do now. I guess I need to delete my account ( and reset the roku if that's possible) and start over, but I am not sure what I would do different!

All extremely frustrating and very very disappointing.

The screen said everything is ready to go, but I am going to leave it overnight before deleting my account. Perhaps it needs to find its brains.

But the Canadian flag at the bottom of the owners screen is not a good sign.

[1]:9865HD;55"LCD;BR [2]:4642HD; 102"; 720p Proj;BR [3]:SA4250HD;39"LED [4]:SA3200 [5]:OTA

post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 11:21 PM

For anyone using roku3 with US content what do you see at the bottom of https://owner.roku.com/ even BEFORE you log in - Canadian flag at the bottom or US flag???

What about after you log in to roku?? Still a candaina flag or a US flag?

I even get this when running hotspotshield and confirmng my ip address is from California.

And after deleting cookies.

Even tried owner.rolu.com/us

post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-30, 07:53 AM

The sign-in page at owner.roku.com does not have the Canadian flag for me. The bottom banner is the same as yours minus the Language Selector and flag, even after I log in.

Make sure your PC and Roku are both using Unblock-US for DNS before you wipe your owner.roku.com account and recreate it. On Windows (depending on the version) you need to go to the Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, click on the link for your network adapter (typically called "Local Area Connection"), then click the [Details] button. In the IPv4 DNS Servers field you should see the Unblock-US DNS addresses:

IPv4 DNS Servers: 208.122.23.22, 208.122.23.23

On the Roku, check the network settings and look for the same thing. If that's not what you see then reboot and check again. They have some fairly detailed troubleshooting steps at http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...setup?b_id=530, have you tried going through all of those?

Is your PayPal account a Canadian PayPal account or a US one? If Canadian, perhaps owner.roku.com is getting the country information from PayPal. If you don't intend to use any paid channels from Roku, then the postal code trick with a Canadian credit card should suffice.

post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-30, 08:26 AM

I finally figured it out a few hours ago. Now seeing US content.

Your last post is consistent with how I got it to work.

This whole exercise, while quite simple, has been totally frustrating and completely avoidable...its identical to making a recipe that everyone gives you, but each one leave out an ingredient. Or a dozen manuals, each one leave out a different page. No wonder it was frustrating.

For the benefit of others new to roku, I will one day write up the whole, very simple, procedure, top to bottom, without leaving anything out, but am way too exhausted to do it now.

The missing piece was....... that in addition to setting up the router with the proper DNS setting (and sorting out multiple routers if one need Canadian only content, with correct DCHP options, IP ranges and LAN vs WAN connections) , and testing to get ALL RIGHT confirmation from unblock, and only then setting up the one-time roku account with an appropriate US address/postal and paypal/credit info, and following all the detailed setup instructions, and connecting the pc (and later the roku) to that router.....one must ALSO use those same DNS settings on the pc used to for the on-time creation of the account. Yes that point is in the troubleshooting section, to figure out AFTER you get in trouble, but its not in the setup instructions. At least it was clear to me, as I was not using unlock for my computer, only for roku, so I read thru the roku setup only.

UPDATE - I even checked my emails from unblock.. they themselves guided me wrong (or at the very least let me fall into the trap I did : " "As you cannot change the DNS on the Roku directly this must be done on the router, so any other devices on the same network, including computers, will also be setup to use our service. This means that there is no need to setup your computer individually as the router is already setup. " What they say is true to get Roki working , but not true toi get it working for US content..which is the whole point of unblock-us!!!

post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-11-30, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
For a Roku (or any other device) you'll know that Unblock-US is working if you see content from the US Netflix catalog. For example, search for "Star Trek" - if you're getting US content you should see all of the Star Trek TV series. This web site has a great database of what shows/movies are available from various streaming services including country-specific info: http://www.moreflicks.com/

Something to be aware of with a Roku is that owner.roku.com limits the "channels" you see to those available for the country of your Roku account. If you want to be able to install a US-only channel like Hulu, you must create your Roku account after Unblock-US is working and use a US address: http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...p-roku-players

1) I now finally see the us channels and the search, eg Star Trek...but I gather these are still at a premium cost, ie I can choose to watch the show via amazon, netflix, vudu, etc...so I would need monthly subscriptions to at least one of them (over and above unblock)

2) while I get tons of us channels now, some of them are just teasers.. Eg HBO GO is there, but it asks that I pick a US cable provider so no luck there. HuluPlus is there, but tells me I must be in the states to use it....and yet I have the us roku account.

post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 12:26 PM

Hulu Plus should work fine from a Roku using Unblock-US - I watch it that way all the time.

You should be able to sign up for Hulu Plus from a PC (make sure the PC is configured to use Unblock-US), then connect the Roku to your Hulu account within the Hulu app on the Roku.

The stumbling block most Canadians have with Hulu Plus is payment. The postal code trick works for some people but not others. If you read the comments in this blog post (http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/2...in-canada.html), some folks have had success with a specific brand of prepaid MasterCard.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-02-17 at 05:06 PM. Reason: affiliate links
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 12:44 PM

Our Ontario hydro bill usage cost is often below the "delivery" cost.

Bill
My blog
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
Hulu Plus should work fine from a Roku using Unblock-US - I watch it that way all the time.

You should be able to sign up for Hulu Plus from a PC (make sure the PC is configured to use Unblock-US), then connect the Roku to your Hulu account within the Hulu app on the Roku.
Thanks for the post... and great blog btw.

On the huluPlus access issue, I contacted unblock-us and asked why it didnt work given my router settings/account etc were correct. They indicated (as did you) that indeed it SHOULD work, and that they could assist me with my router setup (DIR-632) but they only support the manufacturer firmware, not third parry firmware...and I had already upgraded the firmware to dd-wtr (ironically to address other flakey dLink issues and to prepare for getting a stable platform for US content !!!!). I doubt if its the dd-wtr firmware, but who knows!. So, as I am now paying the $5/mo to unblock-us, and want this resolved, I thought I would play by thier rules, and go back to dLink firmware. (That process was yet another challenge to add to my nightmares - and I think that router is now toast - I followed all the suggestions re 30/30/30, Firefox , reloaded bin files etc... just not happening..and I cant even go back to dd-wtr). Wasted way too much time on it already, so I am gonna throw it out and buy a new router). Until I get back in business, I can't solve the huluplus issue just yet.

With Netflix (american vs canadian) I signed up, via the roku. Question - is there a simple way to check if I have US or Canadian?. Either on the roku or via a web site??? I suspect I am on the Canadian version ( not what I wanted) because of the following perfect storm:
a) the issue I have with huluplus may be the same issue affecting Netflix
b) I see no search function on netflix via roku (which makes netlfix completely useless to me)> I think the US version does have a search on roku, based on other posts.
c) Like an idiot, I signed up with my old Netflix account (the one I cancelled months back). It of course said "Welcome Back", at which point I said "oops", so I assime I am on Canadian content. Also lost a free month doing it this way
When I get my new router installed, and unblock-us items sorted out for huluplus, I will cancel Neflix and would like to sign up for the American Netflix. Hence my question, once conencted, how do you tell what version you are looking at?

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-02-17 at 05:07 PM. Reason: affiliate links
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 08:13 PM

Had some positive experiences tonight.

While I await my purchase of a replacement secondary router, it occurred to me that I can, for now, change the DNS settings on my main Rogers router, which I did. Sure enough, with the dd-wtr router out of the equation, the hulu and netflix problems seem to be resolved, all with my existing roku account.

For HuluPlus, I was able to get past the previously blocked screens (on my pc and on roku). I was then able to take out the HuluPlus trial, using the computed postal code trick, and activate HuluPlus on the roku. What a pleasure when things work.

For netflix, I left my current account as is. On roku, it said my region my was US. And I was able to see the search function. And I was able to see 30 Rock episodes, which I think is US only. In other posts, I was told to search for The Office , I see the Office UK) ... Not sure if that conclusive or not.

So having a good evening. Hopefully re-introducing the second router (rogers normal and secondary for unblock-us) will not give me issues, if it does I know where to focus.

As a sidebar. re costs, with an unblock account and ones from hulu and netflix, and perhaps a VPN service, it's about $25/month...no brainer if one cuts the cable cord, but the wife is not convinced just yet, and loves her PVR capability. Worst case, it's still pretty good value for the price of one movie night for two in a theatre.

post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 10:31 PM

I built a slightly different setup, we've been using it for over two years now.
PVR - OTA WMC7 + 2 HDHR + 2 XBOX 360 extenders (3 HDTVs) all local networks in HD
ATV3 - movies, music, AirPlay, photos. unblock-us DNS is setup on these only for Netflix
Synology NAS - media storage, backup, local cloud (AirPlay / Plex also if you need them)
300GB cap, Rogers ~$65 month
unblockus $5 month
Netflix $5 month (paid via iTunes so cheaper)
iTunes movie rentals monthly $varies but the cards are almost always on sale for 20% off

I was looking at the Roku3 but don't use Hulu plus and it seems odd they don't let you modify the DNS address.

Bill
My blog
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-03, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Question - is there a simple way to check if I have US or Canadian?. Either on the roku or via a web site???
Try this site...

http://netflixcanadavsusa.blogspot.ca/

It shows what is available in the US, Canada and both.

Carpe Sony. Seize the remote!
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-04, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroomelectro View Post
I built a slightly different setup, we've been using it for over two years now.
PVR - OTA WMC7 + 2 HDHR + 2 XBOX 360 extenders (3 HDTVs) all local networks in HD
ATV3 - movies, music, AirPlay, photos. unblock-us DNS is setup on these only for Netflix
Synology NAS - media storage, backup, local cloud (AirPlay / Plex also if you need them)
300GB cap, Rogers ~$65 month
unblockus $5 month
Netflix $5 month (paid via iTunes so cheaper)
iTunes movie rentals monthly $varies but the cards are almost always on sale for 20% off

I was looking at the Roku3 but don't use Hulu plus and it seems odd they don't let you modify the DNS address.

Re your setup: - quite impressive and is something I am pursuing, ie, adding in a HTPC/WMC type configuration to the mix. Not there yet, even though, ironically I was an early adopter way way back when people were first connecting their spare computers to TV display.)

Re roku vs ATV: will likely end up with both - haven't yet decided which one I prefer

Re Nefllix for $5/mo:- really ?? Hadn't heard that one before. So, how does that work? Just open iTunes on a pc and attempt to purchase/join Netflix as a new netflix customer ???

post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-12-04, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMedia08 View Post
Re your setup: - quite impressive and is something I am pursuing, ie, adding in a HTPC/WMC type configuration to the mix. Not there yet, even though, ironically I was an early adopter way way back when people were first connecting their spare computers to TV display.)

Re roku vs ATV: will likely end up with both - haven't yet decided which one I prefer

Re Nefllix for $5/mo:- really ?? Hadn't heard that one before. So, how does that work? Just open iTunes on a pc and attempt to purchase/join Netflix as a new netflix customer ???
I was / am considering a Roku3 just for the fun of it, not sure what it offers that I don't already have. Not sure what the Roku3 does that an HTPC doesn't but I'll take another look.

The WMC/HTPC thing was tricky to get just right but now I've done it and it's been running for ages (Windows still requires the occasional reboot though).

An AMD APU the lower TDP the better, 4GB RAM is plenty, quality PFC PSU
HDHomeRun(s) there's a new one on the horizon with on the fly H.264 encoding (I'm dying to try one).
Harmony Smart Control remote, easily the best remote I've ever used, you'll need an eHome compatible IR receiver for the HTPC though.

The AMD GPU allows for overscan adjustment, it's possible recent Intel GPU do and I'm sure the most recent ones are fine.
I've been eyeing those Gigabyte Brix as a possible future replacement.

Opps some bad math on the Netflix, it's $6.40 a month (20% off).
Here's how the Netflix at 20% off works, since you can sign-up via iTunes and iTunes cards are on sale for 20% every couple of months it's effectively $6.40 a month (not $5 as I erroneously stated earlier). Still better than $7.99

As for signing up I used my AppleTV, I think any iOS device that has the Netflix app will allow signup. Not sure how you do it otherwise.

Bill
My blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in