Roku 3 now in Canada: My experience - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-18, 01:22 PM

@ North_of_Calgary...does the interface on the Roku3 look anything like this: http://www.google.ca/search?q=roku+2...bih=796&dpr=1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-18, 04:49 PM

I have had my Roku 3 for a few months (bought in the US for $99 + 6% tax). I also have a Roku 2 (upgraded UI). I also have three ATV's, 2 jailbroken, and an ATV3. My ATV's now gather dust. The jb process is a pain.

I run Plex on the Roku's, and Plex server on a Mac mini. The Roku uses so little power (8 watts I believe) they stay on all the time. My mac Mini is the same, but at 30 watts it is way less than my clunker Windows 7 PC (i7) at 200 - 300 watts. The mac Mini is also my main home computer that runs everything else.

I also run Hulu Plus on my Roku, and use unblock-us (at the router level) to gain access to top notch US TV shows.

I really like the Roku, and the app market takes them over top of the ATV. I am an Apple convert, but for these two comparable devices, ROKU wins IMHO.

Now, I'd like to see a Roku app that let's me watch live TV using my HDHR network tuner (I can do this with my iPad's but not the Roku).
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-18, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghai View Post
@ North_of_Calgary...does the interface on the Roku3 look anything like this: http://www.google.ca/search?q=roku+2...bih=796&dpr=1?
Yes that's what it looks like on both my Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS now. But I bought both in the US.

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-18, 06:54 PM
DHC Supporter

Now, I'd like to see a Roku app that let's me watch live TV using my HDHR network tuner (I can do this with my iPad's but not the Roku).Just wondering if you're using 'InstaTV Server' to watch live TV on your iPad?
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-18, 08:08 PM
Veteran

^ There was hope that simple.tv might do that but it's not currently available in Canada and works on a subscription model.
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 07:40 AM

I have been reading up on Plex on the Roku and from what I gather there is basically one view for movies, tv shows etc. Is it side scrolling thumbnails of your media? I cannot see myself scrolling through over 250 movies to find what I want to watch and certainly my wife and son won't do that either. Plex looks rather bland compared to the Apple TV and certainly the Mac client interface but thats to be expected. Is it really that neutered?
post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygeetee View Post
Now, I'd like to see a Roku app that let's me watch live TV using my HDHR network tuner (I can do this with my iPad's but not the Roku).

Just wondering if you're using 'InstaTV Server' to watch live TV on your iPad?
Yes, I am. It works.
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I have been reading up on Plex on the Roku and from what I gather there is basically one view for movies, tv shows etc. Is it side scrolling thumbnails of your media? I cannot see myself scrolling through over 250 movies to find what I want to watch and certainly my wife and son won't do that either. Plex looks rather bland compared to the Apple TV and certainly the Mac client interface but thats to be expected. Is it really that neutered?
I'd say the eye candy of the Roku is pretty good. Plex is similar to Netflix in that there is a menu item for recent additions. That lets me quickly find my most likely viewing choice. I have a large video library of everything I have purchased on DVD and Bluray over the years.

You can create your own "groups" for things like movies, so I have one for "Classics", "Home Video", "Kids Movies", "and "Recorded TV Shows".

Plex automatically grabs all movie metadata, allows me to change the cover, etc. It transcodes as well, so I store movies in .mkv format or whatever, and they simply play.

For me PLEX is also appealing because there is an iPhone app, iPad app, and even one for my Samsung TV (so for that TV I don't even need a Roku). PLEX allows remote access so I can play my movies or Recorded TV shows on my iPad from anywhere in the world.

I also snag (one click shortcut) web video's with "Plex It" and these are instantly linked to a PLEX menu item called "queue". Plex also has a channel for YouTube which gets around the fact that the ROKU doesn't have a native Youtube app. There are lots of channels available using PLEX.

If Apple ever opened up the ATV to an App market, I'm sure PLEX would be available, and then I would dust off those devices and use them again. However, the Roku's would remain as well.
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 12:38 PM

Thanks. I am more concerned with scrolling from left to right through my library. I am not much for browsing any other way than my whole library. Not sure why but the only other time I deviate from it is when I go to recently added. Plex on Apple TV certainly looks better than the Roku. Hopefully they will update the app soon. I am curious how fast it scrolls though and if it flashes the letter(s) you are going through as it does on my mac mini.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

With the sections you can re-order the appearance so my tv and movie sections are set up in the following manner

Recently Added
All Shows / Movies
By First Letter

This makes finding a movie much easier if its not near the top.

FWIW, I'm still partial to the Plex client on Windows or the Mac but the ability to customize the layout really does help make it easier. The other aspect I like is speed. I find the interface very responsive so it doesn't seem like a hassle to find what I am looking for.

Finally, what I like the most is that in a week, I haven't had to "fix" problems with the HTPC or explain anything to anyone. Nice when you have four people using it daily.

post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
A couple of Netflix interface tips most people don't know:
  1. If you use the right/left fast forward buttons you can jump forward/backwards a full screen of titles at one time instead of the slower way of using the arrows with only advance you one title at a time.
  2. You can press "*" on any title and then search for movies like that one.
Actually that first tip works on just about any application on the Roku.
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-10-10, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Hmm, interesting. I just may pick one of these up. I have a computer hooked right up to my main tv, but using programs like XBMC aren't friendly with remotes. Maybe I'll get one of these and just set it up on the same tv, to make it easier to access tv shows and movies for the rest of the family.
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-10-13, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Bought a Roku 3 today to hookup for my brother in law at his Florida condo. They have Netflix and I thought it would be cool to buy them a Roku for letting us use the condo. Cool device and I like that it's fast. But I just want to say I'm extremely disappointed that you need to register and provide a credit card number just to set it up.

I've now used my name and CC and I guess eventually I'll have to cancel my info and switch over. But it just irks me I couldn't skip that step. It even says in the Roku support you can almost immediately cancel your registered CC after setting up. So then that shows they don't need that info. Anyway rant over. Back to enjoying the device.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-10-14, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Well if you want to rant about the Roku how about:
  • No Netflix profiles
  • No Netflix "for Kids"
  • No movie/TV rental service supported natively in Canada
  • No YouTube app
  • No LT model in Canada

I know, you could say that the first 3 are due to the app developers and not Roku. But it's also the fact that they don't support HTML5 based apps that really limits them on all but the last one. It's really that they're becoming a pretty obscure development platform (which is their fault) that is keeping the apps out.

This is really like a smaller version of the Blackberry story. Remember the Roku was the original Netflix streaming device and the original name was something like those words. Now all of these apps (i.e. Netflix/Youtube) have gone HTML5 and Roku's inability or lack of desire to support that is slowly leaving them in the dust.

I've got three Roku's so far. Unless there's some big changes soon I don't think I'll ever own a 4th.
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 08:01 PM
Veteran

I've got three as well. Two 3s and a 2. They all work well. I have two xboxes as well for recorded tv (media center extender) and YouTube when I have a live sub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in