Recommend DLNA + Netflix client - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Recommend DLNA + Netflix client

Hello,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a DLAN client device that supports Netflix. I've been using a Samsung BluRay player since 2011, I find it slow in streaming Netflix videos and the dlna client is very very slow. Regarding its issues with Netflix, it takes a long time to load videos and freezes often when loading videos requiring a reboot. The DLA client on the BluRay is also slow when going through pictures and music, although playback is fine.

What I'm looking for:
-------------------

- Device that can stream NetFlix
- Has DLNA client (My NAS runs a Twonky DLNA server and some media server)
- Has a remote
- Ideally can change DNS on the device

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 02:26 PM
Veteran

A PS3 does all that you ask but might be a little expensive unless you want to play games, however with the PS4 on its way there are deals to be had.

Other options would be a jailbroken Apple TV............I'm sure there will be others coming along with other options.

Not a Roku though as you cannot change the DNS
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 03:55 PM

The WDTV Live meets all 4 requirements. $99 from costco

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Does the WDTV Live have Netflix Super HD?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 07:48 PM

Yes! I use two and love 'em.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Cool, I use a PS3 for all the OP needs and its awesome.........plus I'm a gamer. I was looking at alternatives for other TV's in the house, I picked up an Android HDMI stick which works but is clunky, so I'm holding out for a Chromecast when they are released in Canada.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went out and bought a WDTV (Thanks 905shmick for the recommendation) and a Sony something-or-other with GoogleTV. They both meet all my original requirements, but I've determine I need a bit more than they offer. Now I'm going to add another requirement though Internet Browser from which I can access Hulu.

The GoogleTV box has Chrome, but Hulu blocks access from it and directs you to use their android app which A doesn't work on GoogleTV devices and B even if it did, most of their good content isn't available in the Hulu plus app but only through the browser (arg!).

Here are my updated requirements, looking forward to your suggestions:
======================================================

- Device that can stream NetFlix

- Has DLNA client that supports h.264/MKV (My NAS runs a Twonky DLNA server and some media server)

- Has a remote or supports a wireless keyboard

- Has a browser (so I can access Hulu)

- Is not a GoogleTV device

- Ideally can change DNS on the device (not a deal breaker, but a nice to have)

Thanks

EDIT: By the way, Netflix on the GoogleTV box by Sony was extremely fast compared to my Samsung BluRay.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 12:04 AM
Veteran

Get a HTPC if you want to get around the silly "only works in a browser" content limitations.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 04:02 PM
Veteran

A HTPC may be the way to go.
Would essentially give you FULL browser capabilities like any PC would.
Would be able to access the DLNA, and shouldn't have any playback issues with proper codecs installed.

Canadacomputers carrys a wide variety of 'mini pc's' Which are great for playback devices. Small form factor too.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 07:29 PM

I think these are only available in the US for now but are an alternative to the mini PCs.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...chromebox.html
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm thinking of building an "HTPC" does anyone have experience with any of the "single board" computers out there that run Android (from what I could find, there is at present no stable build of Android for the Raspberry Pi) (Android b/c of Netflix) ? UDOO sounds promising but I can't find reviews of anyone who's used it as a media pc.

As for the Chromebox, I'm guessing it runs the Chome OS just like the Chrome books ? That could be interesting.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 10:27 PM

On alibaba, you get an android tv device that runs xbmc and is in the shape of the starship enterprise. With taxes, shipping and all, it came to 120$. Runs everything on jellybean4.2.1 and it kicks my WDTV Plus butt big time. So much that I am thinking of getting another one for the livingroom....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-23, 09:25 AM

+1 for the option of an Android TV (box or stick format) over the WDTV Live. I have both, and I much prefer the full Android experience compared to the stifling constraints of Apple, Roku, WDTV.

Here is a (biased) comparison of those options:

http://equiso.com/features/
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-23, 10:20 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
jschall,

Are you using the Equiso stick, or were you just posting that as an example of an Android device?

22 1 star reviews out of 33 total on Amazon does not get me excited about running out to buy one.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2013-08-23, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StieglRaddler
Internet Browser from which I can access Hulu
Which Android device meets this requirement?

If Hulu doesn't think you're on a PC, they hide a significant amount of content from you.

Tags
dlna , netflix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in