wifi Netflix to my TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

wifi Netflix to my TV

hi
We just moved and I can no longer hardwire my router to my TV for netflix. TV is a sony..wifi capable but not wifi ready. LG bluray has wifi but no netflix....
2 options ..would be a USB wifi adaptor( dongle) or say a device like Roku
The sony has plenty of built in choices and we would prefer to avoid more boxes with wires. Is their a USB wifi adaptor that anyone could recommend for strength and quality

thanks

scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 12:14 PM
Veteran

A Powerline Ethernet connection will solve the problem. Adapters are available from most computer retailers. A USB adapter may not provide the speed and relibility required. I've used a USB adapter but it required a 5GHz connection under ideal conditions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 01:14 PM

Personally I'd wait for Google Chromecast to come to Canada. Currently only available in USA at cost of $35 it will soon be coming to Canada. If you needed ASAP you could ship to a US-based address and have them ship it to Canada for you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks ExDilbert...I wasn't even aware of that option...is there some hardware suggestions again on quality,ease of use and reliability...i was looking at this one
HP500AV

I read about Chromecast, good and bad( not many options yet) and unfortunately not in CA yet. Have you heard of time for canada's unveiling MrGrinch? Since it looks like a USB type device what sets it apart from the other issues that USB adaptors would have( speed reliability etc)

thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Can't speak to the quality of individual units. SmallNetBuilder is a good site for info. Faster is generally better but I would also read the entire review. I would also google for reviews. A 500Mbps model would be the best bet. Some models are slower and might not work as well. Note that they are usually sold in pairs. At least two are required.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 03:35 PM

A wireless player like the AppleTV or WDTV Live both have native Netflix apps.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 10:19 PM

No idea when Chromecast will be available here but found one in the US last week. They are a little tricky to find but are around if you look hard enough.

Yes, they don't have lots of apps yet... but all you said you wanted was Netflix which this has and at $35 this is the least expensive solution. But if you want the versatility of other apps / services then this is not the option for you (for now).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I'll check out SmallNetBuilder..thanks!
I have thought about AppleTV or Roku too..and yes IF Google can get that Chromecast into my hands soon I think that would work best for little I need

thanks again everyone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-15, 06:16 PM

This just popped up in my news feed, looks like it might be the perfect device for your situation.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...adapter-review
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 04:28 AM
Rookie

xbox 360 and many other games consoles all so let you do netflix now and check apple apps they may have something for that now as well
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 01:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
My leaning would be a coax based Ethernet adapter over power line adapters. They use frequencies unused by either cable or satellite and since it is a shielded cable in a controlled environment, it will be much faster and more reliable than a power line which is unshielded, and has many sources of noise plugged into it throughout the home.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in