Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
Are you able to use yours when plugged into an HDMI port on your AV receiver???
Mine works 100% when plugged into my Yamaha RXA-1000 receiver. Prefer to run it this way rather than through the TV.

Agree with the comment on doing what a smart TV does -- totally agree. But the market for these are generally folks who don't have smart TV's. I bought mine just to try out, and with the $21 Netflix credit the cost was a drop in the bucket.

I actually find my Samsung smart TV's way superior to this, especially with the new "screen mirroring" functionality that allows me to stream ANY content from my Samsung Galaxy's directly to the TV's. This works on any and every android app available... not just youtube and netflix. Love running MAME to the big TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 09:31 AM
Veteran

One thing the crime cat does that you can't do with phones and maybe smart TV's is cast ask video due to the players used on some websites. I like that I can stream anything from a chrome tab to the chromecast, there are some on demand video that just won't play on my phone or tablet.
post #78 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 11:36 PM
Veteran

This thing is kind of flaky: I'm watching a movie on the ATV3 which is excellent super-HD pic and DD sound. I decide to try the chromecast instead so I stop the ATV. Open up the netflix app on my phone and cast. I get the red netflix screen and the loading counter for a bit and then "this title cannot be streamed.... select another title" or something like that. I try another title I was watching yesterday on my Roku. Plays fine on the phone, then try to cast it and I get some "session timed out" error instead. In the end I go back to watching the movie on the ATV.

This thing has potential but it's not there yet. Let's just hope Google pays more attention to it than they have the GoogleTV!

post #79 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 12:43 AM
Veteran

Have you got Unblock-Us or similar DNS service set on your phone? I'm was having similar issues with Netflix until I set my phone to not use Unblock-Us. You need to have the controlling device on the same Netflix region as the Chromecast.

I've been using my Chromecast a lot and have not had many issues with streaming or quality. I encountered bufffering tonight when casting from Chrome but my laptop was buffering as well so it was the website rather than the Chromecast.

I do agree its not yet 100% but that is pretty much Google's approach to development. Get it to 85-90% and develop it in the market place with real consumers.
post #80 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 06:42 PM
Veteran

Yes I'm behind unblock-us but at the router level so it should put everything including the Chromecast on the same plane and hence I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. Unless Google is doing more robust location verification I guess.
post #81 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 07:18 PM
Veteran

I think they are, looking at the Unblock-us forums. I have the same issue with a Dynex Blu-Ray, despite setting unblock-us on the device it always defaults to Canada. Now that my phone is set to not go through Unblock-Us I have no issues with Netflix.
post #82 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Set it up in 10 minutes...would have been quicker but the Google Play store (Nexus7) and AppStore (iPad3) wouldnt give me the app in in Canada so I had to dust off a laptop and do it old school. Pretty seamless controlling Netflix with the Nexus7...but its the fourth device on my rig that can do the same thing!
post #83 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 08:02 PM
Veteran

Just watching a rented movie on Google Play Movies, great pic quality. Amazon.com have just shipped my 2nd Chromecast.
post #84 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 09:29 PM
Veteran

The thing gets pretty warm to the touch after a while.

Overall I'm glad I bought was because I like the "toys" - but I'm having a hard time putting it to use. I have so many other Netflix devices and I do like to have actual devices with their own remote controls etc. And all of those don't have issues with unblock-us.

So for me, right now it's a "gadget".
post #85 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 10:08 PM
Veteran

Off to pick up my 2nd Chromecast tomorrow, also noticed that you can now cast Netflix from a Chrome tab but it still pulls the content directly from Netflix so no luck with Unblock-Us working with it.
post #86 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-22, 03:01 PM
Veteran

^ Curious as to what you're using yours for brownstar? For Netflix I'm still using the Roku's and ATV. I'm not really using my Chromecast at all right now.

But I think what I'll do is pick up a couple more for the other TVs in the house when I'm next in the US. Then "trim the cord" and take off $56+TAX per month off of my BEV subscription. And instead buy TV shows through the Google Play store and use the Google Play casting to the Chromecast.
post #87 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-22, 05:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
... also noticed that you can now cast Netflix from a Chrome tab but it still pulls the content directly from Netflix so no luck with Unblock-Us working with it.
Got mine working through unblock-us. Solution was actually pretty simple.

For the "less-familiar with the situation" folks, here's a simplified explanation of the issue with Chromecast & unblock-us and the solution:

THE PROBLEM:
  • unblock-us relies on using their DNS servers.
  • DNS servers are usually specified in the device itself or by your router.
  • The Chromecast always uses the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and we can't change that

THE SOLUTION:
  • Have your router redirect requests to the Google DNS servers to the unblock-us DNS servers

HOW TO IMPLEMENT:
  • This is going to depend on your specific router. If you just have a cheapo router you may be out of luck. But most good ones allow you to connect to them via telnet or ssh. From there they're basically trimmed down linux machines.
  • Linux uses "iptables" commands to handle it's internal firewall.
  • All we need to do is add some custom rules to the internal linux firewall:

Quote:
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 8.8.8.8 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.23
What these commands are basically saying is: anything from my internal network (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0) if it's going to Google's servers (IP address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and if the port is 53 (which is for DNS) then instead route to the unblock-us DNS servers (208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23).

I'm using the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router with the Merlin-WRT firmware so for me adding these two commands to a startup script was really easy. If you're using any other DD-WRT firmware (which works on a huge variety of routers) then it should also be pretty easy for you.

I added these two lines in my router and then plugged in my Chromecast. Voila it worked fine for US Netflix content. Tested it casting Netflix from both a Chrome tab and the Android App. Both worked. Watched the final episode of S2 of Wilfred which is US only. (Shocker season ending again!)

Not sure that the PQ was as good through the Chomecast but it's only one show I've watched. And my AVR was getting DD+ where I think through the ATV it reported just DD.

Anyway, that's how to get this device or any other similar device that doesn't take its DNS settings from your router to work with unblock-us.

P.S. If you assign your Chromecast a static IP in your router's DHCP table then you could use that in those commands instead of your entire subnet.

P.S.S. I got this solution from an XDA thread.
post #88 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-22, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Yeah I saw that thread, I cannot get that level of access to my router as is Telus. If I can be bothered I'll set up my own router and not use the Telus one.
post #89 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 12:04 PM
Veteran

Kind of crappy that they force you to use their own DNS settings. I know they are fast, but still! Makes me wonder if they force that upon chromebooks etc.
post #90 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 05:05 PM
Veteran

I've also had issues with Google Chrome and Netflix roaming with a PC. It appears that Google is very proactive in enforcing geoblocking on their products. Don't know on which other services they enforce it but some people here seem to have had success. I would guess that connecting the Chromecast to a router proxy from day one may make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in