... also noticed that you can now cast Netflix from a Chrome tab but it still pulls the content directly from Netflix so no luck with Unblock-Us working with it.
Got mine working through unblock-us. Solution was actually pretty simple.
For the "less-familiar with the situation
" folks, here's a simplified explanation of the issue with Chromecast & unblock-us and the solution:
- unblock-us relies on using their DNS servers.
- DNS servers are usually specified in the device itself or by your router.
- The Chromecast always uses the Google DNS servers (220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168) and we can't change that
HOW TO IMPLEMENT:
- Have your router redirect requests to the Google DNS servers to the unblock-us DNS servers
- This is going to depend on your specific router. If you just have a cheapo router you may be out of luck. But most good ones allow you to connect to them via telnet or ssh. From there they're basically trimmed down linux machines.
- Linux uses "iptables" commands to handle it's internal firewall.
- All we need to do is add some custom rules to the internal linux firewall:
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 22.214.171.124 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 126.96.36.199
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 188.8.131.52 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 184.108.40.206
What these commands are basically saying is: anything from my internal network (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0) if it's going to Google's servers (IP address 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168) and if the port is 53 (which is for DNS) then instead route to the unblock-us DNS servers (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199).
I'm using the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router with the Merlin-WRT firmware so for me adding these two commands to a startup script was really easy. If you're using any other DD-WRT firmware (which works on a huge variety of routers) then it should also be pretty easy for you.
I added these two lines in my router and then plugged in my Chromecast. Voila it worked fine for US Netflix content. Tested it casting Netflix from both a Chrome tab and the Android App. Both worked. Watched the final episode of S2 of Wilfred which is US only. (Shocker season ending again!)
Not sure that the PQ was as good through the Chomecast but it's only one show I've watched. And my AVR was getting DD+ where I think through the ATV it reported just DD.
Anyway, that's how to get this device or any other similar device that doesn't take its DNS settings from your router to work with unblock-us.
P.S. If you assign your Chromecast a static IP in your router's DHCP table then you could use that in those commands instead of your entire subnet.
P.S.S. I got this solution from an XDA thread.