Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 07:11 PM
Veteran

It is a device when using Netflix & You Tube as its pulling the content directly from those providers but you control it with you phone or tablet. I've only played with it for a short while and its pretty good for casting tabs but it goes a little bit wobbly when using Netflix, especially when my phone/tablet are going through Unblock-Us, it doesn't seem to like it. However casting Netflix in Chrome (with Unblock-Us setup on the PC) works really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 10:37 PM
Veteran

I can't get it to cast the sound with slingbox. Picture only.
post #63 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 12:41 AM
Veteran

It's probably not compatible is yet

post #64 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 09:38 PM
Veteran

No, it's an issue with casting full screen vs just a single browser tab. With their demo video on their chromecast webpage it only gets the sound when casting the tab.

When plugged into my AVR, my AVR doesn't seem to pick up on it and send the signal through to the TV even though my computer can find it.

When plugged into the TV directly I'm getting delays (choppy-ness) when watching their promo video through the chrome browser tab. Netflix plays but has a huge audio delay (looping issue). Youtube seems better but keeps giving me a "your chromecast is taking an abnormally long time to respond" error.

So this thing seems like an interesting idea but also seems really beta-ish at this point.

Hopefully it will improve in time. At least it was only $35.
post #65 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 09:41 PM
Veteran

I noticed a slight audio lag with Netflix but when I tried it on my PS3 it too was having the same issue, this has since disappeared. I'm not sure what your issue is but I can play a video in Chrome, cast it and then make if full screen with no lag.
post #66 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 10:56 PM
Veteran

I still only get sound when casting Netflix, YouTube, and a chrome browser tab. When I vast my entire Windows 8 desktop the sound goes back to the PC speakers.
post #67 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 11:00 PM
Veteran

Have you done a factory reset on the Chromecast?
post #68 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 11:55 AM
Veteran

^ brownstar, no I haven't done a factory reset on it but I did some searching and I found lots of other reports that screen casting doesn't support audio. Only tab casting which is exactly what I reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
...I'm not sure what your issue is but I can play a video in Chrome, cast it and then make if full screen with no lag.
Yes, sure that works fine for me too - with audio. But if I'm screen casting instead then there's no sound. Regardless of whether I play the video in a Chrome browser or in Windows Media Player. The audio goes back to the computer speakers.

Anyway it looks like that's a known limitation so I'm sure if you tried playing your video when screen casting instead of in a tab you'd experience the same thing. Thanks for the suggestions though. But at this point I'll just sit back and wait for Google to "fix it"
post #69 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 12:40 PM
Veteran

I'm confused..............screen casting?
post #70 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 01:03 PM
Veteran

Yes, "screen casting" is what I've been saying all along.

In the chrome browser rather than choosing the "share this tab" option you can take the pull down arrow and instead cast your entire desktop. Everything is mirrored including your start menu, desktop, any apps, etc. That's a "beta" feature and that's what I've been pointing out does not cast audio.
post #71 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Ah yes, found it now..........it does say experimental, hopefully they can sort the audio out as it would be a great way to us non Canadian Netflix on the Chromecast.
post #72 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 03:31 PM
Veteran

Are you able to use yours when plugged into an HDMI port on your AV receiver??? I plugged mine in using the HDMI port where I usually have my Roku and the TV reports "no signal". Strange... that should work.
post #73 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 05:41 PM
Veteran

No, I don't have any spare so plugged it direct into the TV and use an optical out to the AVR. I'll try it when I get a chance.
post #74 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Picked up a couple today...they don't do anything I can't already do with a Samsung Smart TV and AppleTV, but they'll make good gifts for friends that are still getting into streaming.

I do like the fact that it supports HDMI-CEC which for reasons which I just can't understand is not yet supported on AppleTV.
post #75 of 279 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 10:28 PM
Veteran

Agreed - there would be more of a wow factor if we didn't have AirPlay.

As for my AVR hookup - tried it again tonight and now it is working through the AVR. Don't know why it didn't want to work last night yet tonight it does.

I see a little bit of overscan but that might be my TV setting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in