Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

It might! Though in my experience, CEC is about as finicky as it gets.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 03:13 PM
Veteran

one interesting thing I noticed, I have some purchased movies (for the kids) on my google play app store. I decided to play one of the movies, now my phone does not have the movie downloaded on it, because I want to free up the space, but my tablet has the movie downloaded onto the tablets hard drive memory. but my tablet was shut off (charging) so when i went to google movie store, and saw my movie in the library, it gave me 2 options, one to play it, and other to download it onto my phone, so i did not download it i simply played it, and enabled casting, it casted right to my TV and what do u know, i turned off my phone and the movie continued to play from the cloud to my tv . the only thing i wish there was a remote cus i have to turn on the phone to pause it and stuff etc.
post #258 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
... so i did not download it i simply played it, and enabled casting, it casted right to my TV and what do u know, i turned off my phone and the movie continued to play from the cloud to my tv . the only thing i wish there was a remote cus i have to turn on the phone to pause it and stuff etc.
Yes that's how it's designed to work. It's not relaying through your phone/tablet. Rather your phone/tablet is just instructing it where to stream from and then it does that independently from the device.

As for lack of remotes.... that's one reason why I generally prefer Roku. But the Google Home works pretty well as a voice remote for the Chromecasts. You can just "tell it" to pause, skip ahead 10 minutes, play the next episode, or whatever else you want. At CAD$39, it's not as cheap as a cheapo universal remote but a lot cheaper than a Harmony. (And "yes" folks, I do know that those aren't real remote options for the Chromecast - I'm just speaking hypothetically.)

post #259 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-28, 09:54 AM
Veteran

im gonna see if my TV Remote control can send commands to the chrome cast via Simp-link aka HDMI-CEC
post #260 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-28, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Aww Damn, the CEC controls do not work, guess my TV is too old to fully support the CEC standard, ahh well.
post #261 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-29, 01:12 PM
Veteran

Just checked CEC using the Chromecast Ultra and the Vizio M43-C1 TV (2015 model.) The TV remote buttons Play, Pause and Exit (Stop) work. The FF, Rew and Skip Back buttons do nothing. I was hoping they would do something. There is no Skip Forward button. Select (Enter), Forward and Back buttons do not work like they do in a browser either. No other buttons control the Chromecast. In addition to most of the usual smart TV controls, this remote also has a full keyboard. Lots of lost opportunity there. Even though Stop works, there is no way to restart without using the Android app. I would be happy with Play, Pause, Skip Back and Skip Forward. Ran across a review that said the Chromecast interface is a bit dated. I'd have to agree with that. Even though the underlying technology is very good, it's otherwise limited by lack of usable playback controls.
post #262 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 11:40 AM
Veteran

That is awesome, too bad for me, all 4 of my tv's do not support the CEC controls, oh well, its not a deal breaker, but that was more of an icing on the cake
post #263 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-01, 12:36 PM

I get a lot of use of my V2 Chromecasts. I bought 2 and my Vizio TV has one built-in that supports 4K. I also have a Chromecast Audio hooked up to my AVR (with a mini-toslink cable). And since last week added 2 Google Home Minis. Kids are enjoying it. For good measure I have an Apple TV and three miracast devices. So we are pretty set for a while.
post #264 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-02, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I picked up a couple of Chromecast audios along with a new soundbar with built in Cast support over the holidays. It's not quite as slick as a Sonos system, but it makes for a functionally comparable whole-home system at a fraction of the cost since it uses the equipment we already have.

post #265 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-02, 09:23 PM

It took me a while to realize the mini-plug would also support digital audio. Which is nice for volume control. I used to use my Apple TV to stream audio and incorrectly thought the Chromecast could do that as well. It can, but you need to keep the HDMI handshake intact. The minute you shut off the display the audio stops. Not sure if ARC capable devices have this limitation.
post #266 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-03, 10:26 AM
Veteran

I never took the Chromecast Audio seriously. It's an ill conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exists for most people. That is, how to stream audio on a video device. It's a a misapplication and a waste of resources. If they did away with the requirement for a HDMI connection, it would be a lot better. Bluetooth is a much better solution to streaming audio from a smartphone or similar device. Unfortunately, early Bluetooth devices suffered from lack of fidelity. That has been resolved with later Bluetooth standards but devices supporting those standards must be sought out.

While Chromecast Audio is a solution looking for a problem, Chromecast Video is a solution with a problem. That is the lack of a remote control. Google missed the mark with both of these products and has failed to correct it even with product updates.
post #267 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-03, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I never took the Chromecast Audio seriously. It's an ill conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exists for most people. That is, how to stream audio on a video device. It's a a misapplication and a waste of resources. If they did away with the requirement for a HDMI connection, it would be a lot better
I am confused by this statement. The Chromecast Audio does not have an HDMI connection so how can there be a requirement?

The remote issue seems to be an issue for some. Me not so much. Plus I am just starting to test out the voice commands. But I can see how others may prefer the tactile experience of a remote.
post #268 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-03, 01:22 PM
Veteran

Yeah there is no hdmi on the chrome cast audio, it has an analogue 3.5 milli metre head phone jack port.

By the way, I tested my chrome cast video and it can play music to my tv set, but yeah it does it but does not mean its the most efficient way to do it
post #269 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-03, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes, as mentioned the Chromecast Audio is not HDMI, it's 3.5 mm, with the additional option of (stupidly expensive) adapters to do optical or RCA. It has no video UI, only audio. The idea is to easily enable wireless streaming to speaker systems with line-in connectors. The advantages over bluetooth are higher quality, direct streaming (so you can take the phone or other device away and it still works), and the ability to simultaneously stream to multiple devices. I also find it more reliable.

The lack of a remote doesn't bother me either. Remotes get misplaced and almost always control awful user interfaces. I always have my phone on me and it's the UI I'm most familiar with. YMMV, however.

post #270 of 279 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 12:14 PM
Veteran

@Jake , Point taken. I misunderstood the previous post that must have been referring to the Chromecast video device, not the Chromecast Audio. I can now see why someone who wants directly streamed, lossless high-resolution audio might be drawn to the Chromecast Audio. However, Bluetooth 3.0 and above is still an option for lossless high-resolution audio playback.
Jake likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in