Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-10-09, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Totally love my Chromecast. It is tucked behind my A/V receiver in one of the HDMI ports. I particularly love that the ufc.tv sites supports it in their web player. I'd buy more for my other two TVs, but there are interesting competing products coming out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 03:59 PM

Quote:
TV's input would automatically switch
I think that is part of HDMI CEC protocol. I could be wrong but it sounds like what is happening. Which is a great feature for the non tech savvy.
post #243 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 05:59 PM
Veteran

Presumably this doesn't work so well if you have it plugged into an HDMI input on your AVR and then the AVR to your TV. Or can you plug this into your TV and count on ARC over HDMI, or a SPDIF cable to take the sound back to your AVR?

Last edited by 57; 2014-10-10 at 06:43 PM. Reason: UQR

post #244 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-10-10, 06:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Then you would need the HDMI-CEC enabled on the AVR to switch inputs on the AVR since the TV would stay on the same input.

HDMI-CEC can wreak havoc if you have a Harmony remote, because the commands can "fight" each other and you end up on the incorrect input, or with one unit off instead of on, etc. I always recommend turning HDMI-CEC off, if you have a Harmony, although that will defeat ARC.

HDMI Comments, item 4: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #245 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 03:24 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Can Chromecast stream online TV content?

Hi all,

New to this forum, so please forgive and redirect me if I am posting in the wrong spot, or if this has already been answered.

I have just picked up a Chromecast - nifty little gadget for the price.

I am trying to find some way to stream CBC and CTV news casts. I can easily watch both on my laptop or android phone, but casting the feed through Chromecast is giving me trouble. It sometimes streams the preceding advertisement, but then fails to stream the actual newcast. One Android app (PlayTo Lite) has CTV as one of its content options (the rest seem to be USA based) and it streams about 5 minutes then stops, and wants me to buy the upgrade. Also tried some Android browsers that claim to cast, but don't see to.

Anyone successful using any method to stream CBC or CTV national news though the Chromecast?

Keith
post #246 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 04:39 PM

There's 2 ways if it's not a supported app. One is the Chromecast extension for the Chrome browser on your laptop, or you can mirror your screen from your phone.
post #247 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 05:05 PM
Veteran

The Chromecast extension is also available for the Chrome browser on Android.
post #248 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 05:28 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The Chromecast extension is also available for the Chrome browser on Android.
Not seeing this in either the Play Store or within the Chrome App itself? I did find the Google Cast plugin for chrome for my laptop, but it is giving the same problem I described earlier.

Keith R

P.S. My Android device is running version 4.4.4
post #249 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
There's 2 ways if it's not a supported app. One is the Chromecast extension for the Chrome browser on your laptop, or you can mirror your screen from your phone.
OK, it looks like it was my AV software interfering. I have it working now through Googel Chrome on my laptop. Would love to get it working on my Android, though.

Keith
post #250 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 12:12 PM
Veteran

so yesterday I picked up the new chrome cast, (Version 2) the round one not the one shaped like a usb stick, and I must say its awesome. playback is good, even mirroring is great
post #251 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 12:36 PM
Veteran

I picked up the Chromecast Ultra over Black Friday. It's very impressive on a 4K TV and easier to set up than the original as well. There are two minor shortcomings. One is that the Ultra must be used with the power supply provided. It detects the power supply and complains when it's not there. It would not work when powered by the USB port on the TV. The other is that there is no remote control. A basic remote that would handle things like Pause/Play, Skip and Stop would be a lot better than fumbling with the phone every time a simple control operation is needed.
post #252 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 12:58 PM
Veteran

The non 4K one needs a power supply, but I managed to connect it to the usb port on my family room TV, it works great but when the TV is shut off, the device does not get software updates and has to boot up every time the tv turns on. oh well, i managed to connect it like that for now because I had limited outlets behind my wall mount TV and need to get a power bar or multi-tap first then i can connect it to steady hydro
post #253 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

The Ultra probably needs more power than the port on the TV can provide. You could probably swap it out for a phone charger, if you needed to. You're better off having it on a dedicated power source anyway, in part so it can update and doesn't need to reboot every time, but also so that CEC functionality, if your TV supports it, can work to turn it on.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #254 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
There are two minor shortcomings. One is that the Ultra must be used with the power supply provided. It detects the power supply and complains when it's not there. It would not work when powered by the USB port on the TV. The other is that there is no remote control. A basic remote that would handle things like Pause/Play, Skip and Stop would be a lot better than fumbling with the phone every time a simple control operation is needed.
Nice to see an old thread revived.

Agree with both drawbacks you mentioned. I had just enough outlets to accommodate everything around my TV but the new Chromecast is forcing my to put more on teh same circuit. So I put the older one back (don't' have 4K at this point).

Also, yes, a small basic remote would be nice.

Keith
post #255 of 279 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
...but also so that CEC functionality, if your TV supports it, can work to turn it on.
Now I'm wondering if the PVR controls on the TV remote can use CEC to control the Chromecast. That would be as good as a Chromecast remote.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in