Google announces Chromecast, a $35 HDMI dongle - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 10:38 AM

Chromecast for Canada

I had planned on picking up a Chromecast when I go to the States in May however I now see that the Canadian version is available through Amazon.ca for pretty much the same price after exchange.

As I'm in no hurry to get it would I be better off to get the US version? More viewing options available etc. I currently have a VPN service, however does access to content depend on the router's config?

Thanks for your input..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 10:52 AM
Veteran

I very much doubt that there will be any differences between the US and international versions. But we won't know until people actually receive them here.
post #168 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 11:05 AM

Just ordered one from amazon.ca, looking forward to trying it out.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here

post #169 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 11:18 AM
Veteran

I doubt there will be any difference in the hardware and the app's available will be region based, so no Hulu etc unless you have a work around. Not sure on VPN setup's but if you use a smart DNS service you have to configure DNS routing rules on your router as you cannot set the DNS on the Chromecast.

There is a good app in the Play Store called Cast Store that has 99% of Chromecast enabled apps. Since the SDK was released the number of apps has rocketed.
post #170 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-19, 08:56 PM

Well I look forward to trying it as I bought a quick and dirty hdmi dongle from China and it was brutal.
post #171 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 08:19 AM
Veteran

Setup can be a bit tricky and changing to a different network, even more so. I lent my chromecast to a buddy who I thought was pretty savvy, he couldn't get it to talk to his wireless network. Perhaps he didn't really try, not sure lol! You can't argue the simplicity of having a stick with an actual remote rather than using a tablet or phone as a smart remote.
post #172 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 09:13 AM

Hrmm...so I was considering using this dongle in an RV application where I might stop somewhere that had open wifi access (like Shaw etc) in a public area and streaming some TV.

Not as simple as I thought?
post #173 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 10:44 AM
Veteran

^^^That probably won't work too well as there's no way to configure the Chromecast to log into a website for WiFi access

Sent using radio waves of some sort
post #174 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 09:07 PM
Veteran

It will be depend upon the network configuration, I cannot remember the correct technical terminology but basically some public wifi's are configured so that the Chromecast isn't able to talk to your phone or tablet. I've had it work in some hotels and not others.

The Chromecast is very easy to configure on networks, there is both an phone and PC app, the requirement to connect it to a PC first is long gone.
post #175 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-21, 10:18 PM

My Chromecast arrived today. Took 5 minutes to get it all up and running. Works really well!

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here
post #176 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-22, 12:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Setup can be a bit tricky and changing to a different network, even more so. I lent my chromecast to a buddy who I thought was pretty savvy, he couldn't get it to talk to his wireless network...
Yes, I've had many issues switching networks as well. It seems to hang on the "connecting to network" after giving it the wireless password via the phone app. Sometimes have to try two or three times to get it to take to a new network - it either hangs or reverts back to the old SSID. Not sure what's going on with it and why it's becoming problematic. Seems to be a problem only since the latest FW upgrade.
post #177 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-22, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
It will be depend upon the network configuration, I cannot remember the correct technical terminology but basically some public wifi's are configured so that the Chromecast isn't able to talk to your phone or tablet. I've had it work in some hotels and not others...
In hotels and public wifi's you usually need to still use a computer and maybe your own router as well to setup your own private hotspot that serves all of your personal devices. If you're on your own personal hotspot where all of your devices including the chromecast can see each other then it will work just fine. The computer will act as the bridge to the (hotel) internet and share that to your router through ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). I do that in hotels with my chromecast all the time. But it's a reasonably complicated setup: not for the non-technical folks and it's certainly not as simple as just plugging in the chromecast and voila.
post #178 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 08:49 AM

Got my 2 yeterday. I must say they were miserable to set up. 2.4GHZ Wireless being flaky on a good day guess I shouldn't be surprised. Really annoyed that they're not 5GHZ capable, but then they're cheap....

So I'm sitting 6 feet away from my Plasma, Chromecast plugged in to the back.
I go to do the setup, setup sees it, but can't connect.
I have a wireless G 2.4GHZ router right beside the TV, so I unplug it, poof, I'm in.
Go to join a wireless network, it sees my other other wireless ( B G N dual band 2.4 and 5 GHZ) but only the 2.4GHZ side.
And, it can't connect to it 30 feet away thru one wall.
I plug the other 2.4 GHZ router back in, and it connects to it fine.

Ok having a wireless device directly behind a big interference generating shield (plasma panel) I guess I can't expect it to have any kind of range. Will have to get an HDMI extension to move it from behind the set.
The 2nd one is going upstairs on an old Samsung LCD, 1 floor above the dual-band router.

Setting up the second one was a major pain. The setup program would see both, even after one was powered off. Then after a reboot would see the unconfigured one, but not connect to it.
Yes I did a wireless site analysis and have everything on non-overlapping/interfering channels.
After much fighting it's set up and actually works upstairs.
Now that they're configured, they're a bit less flakey.

Still ticked that they don't do 5ghz, but then they're $38.00...
Now to test the W.A.F.

Panasonic TH46PZ80 , Samsung PN50B850
post #179 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-28, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Cool Chromecast: To Cast or Castoff?

Got mine the other day as well. It is the "New Canada Compatible" version. The setup is weird. It arrives configured as a WAP with no password. That's a security risk, someone could hijack it, but not significant one. I couldn't configure it using a desktop PC and wireless router. Had to plug in and configure a USB wireless dongle on the PC. Major PITA. (My tablet battery needed charging at the time so it couldn't be used right then.) Instructions and other information are very sparse, even on the Chromecast site.

The Chromecast does some things well. Netflix and YouTube worked well, both from Chrome on Windows (using the Chromecast plugin) and the Android (4.2) app. Casting web content from Chrome on the PC worked well. Playing MPEG4 content from networked disk worked well. Playing MP3 music files worked OK but sound quality was not good.

A number of things were a major fail. Trying to cast from browsers other than Chrome on the PC does not work. Unlike HBO GO (US), TMN GO and HBO Canada appear to have have no Chromecast support. The Chromecast does not support MPEG2 so I could not play recorded OTA TV. It also does not support the FLAC CODEC for music.

Despite Google's compatibility claims, the Chromecast doesn't appear to support many audio or video CODECs. It also doesn't have a remote but relies on the use of a phone, tablet or PC app for control. I guess that's fine for people who have a smartphone tied to their hip but it doesn't work for me.

There also appears to be no way to cast web content from Chrome on Android. That leaves out a huge amount of content. The final failure is that the Chromecast app is only available for Android 4.0 and later. It is not available for an Android 2.2 tablet so those devices are useless with the Chromecast.

In retrospect, it appears that the Chromecast is best used with a late model phone with long battery life (since it must be on for all content selection and video control.) The limited CODEC support pretty much limits it's use to services and apps with Chromecast support built in or whatever MPEG4 files you happen to have on disk. Using Chrome on the PC for casting is an option but the PC must be nearby. It would be better to spend the $40 an HDMI cable to connect the PC to the TV and an MCE remote to control playback on the PC.
post #180 of 279 (permalink) Old 2014-03-28, 11:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Despite Google's compatibility claims, the Chromecast doesn't appear to support many audio or video CODECs. It also doesn't have a remote but relies on the use of a phone, tablet or PC app for control. I guess that's fine for people who have a smartphone tied to their hip but it doesn't work for me.
Doesn't this depend on the app that you are using to cast the content? For example, if you are using Plex and you Cast some MPEG-2 content then wouldn't it play on the Chromecast? I thought it did but I haven't played around with too many types of content. (Note - I have been using it with a iPad).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in