Trying to build my first HTPC; help needed please - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-06-29, 10:31 AM
Veteran

If you are asking me, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-07-31, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay since my last post. There was a personnal situation I needed to deal with during the past couple of weeks; however, everything's fine now.

After all, I chose theses parts, following your advice. So, the nMEDIA 1000B case which allows me to get the Seasonic S12II 380W PSU. Before pulling the trigger, I'd like to verify a few things with you.

First of all, PC Part Picker flags two problems with this configuration:

1. "ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B HTPC Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

2. "Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Ivy Bridge CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Regarding the first potential problem, if I connect the USB3 headers from the motherboard in the USB2 front panel ports, will it work? If yes, will it work as USB2 or USB 3?

About the second potential problem, I'm a little bit more worried. If the RAM works at a reduced clock rate, will this affect it's performance? Also, do I need to configure something to reduce it's clock rate or is it going to be done automatically? Moreover, if the RAM works at a voltage greater than the Intel recommendation, is this a problem? In any case, should I look for other RAM sticks?

Also, as I want to try and see if wireless would work for streaming from my other computer, is this wireless card going to be compatible with my build?

Finally, does the Seasonic S12II 380W come with a power cord? I know some PSU don't come with one, and I didn't manage to find this information for the PSU i chose.

Any other thoughts about my configuration are more than welcome! ; )

Thanks everyone for your help and your time. I'm eager to strat building my HTPC. Order is complete from different marchants, only need your green light to go ahead and buy!

Blaccko
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-07-31, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi again,

Would those RAM sticks be a good option (good quality, reliable) that would fit my build better (without the voltage problem)?

Thanks again,

Blaccko

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-01, 09:48 AM
Veteran

I cannot help with the RAM, but can with USB3.0, where the answer you want is no, you need specific USB3.0 case ports (USB 3.0 has two more data pair per connector). You can use the legacy USB 2.0 port header though.

On an added note, it seems that board has the same CIR header my motherboard (Asrock E-350M1) has, so can probably use a plain DVD player IR sensor and modified old CD audio cable.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-01, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi classicsat,

Thanks for the information. That's what I thought also. However, USB 2.0 will still be enough for my HTPC I think. Otherwise, if I really need it, I'll use the ports in the back.

Also, as I want to try and see if wireless would work for streaming from my other computer, is [url=http://www.futureshop.ca/fr-CA/product/tenda-adaptateur-pci-interne-de-tenda-w322p-w322p/10224704.aspx?lang=fr-CA&pcname=&sku=10224704&path=fc66f7580236ab1f08a00f9a1b8ba9c cfr02[this wireless card[/url] going to be compatible with my build?

Finally, does the Seasonic S12II 380W come with a power cord? I know some PSU don't come with one, and I didn't manage to find this information for the PSU i chose.

Any other thoughts about my configuration are more than welcome! ; )

Thanks again!

Blaccko
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-03, 02:26 PM
Veteran

You connect your PC to your router. If you can do it wired, and the other computer connects wireless, you can stream. If you need to connect your HTPC to your router wirelessly, that card is okay.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 02:10 PM
Veteran

1. The ASRock H77M has 1xUSB3 header and 2xUSB2 headers so it is compatible with the case.

2. Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM will run at lower voltages and lower speeds. It will likely default to DDR3-1033 and 1.5v on that motherboard. I run several sets at the lower speeds and they are fine. In fact, they typically are more reliable at the lower specs. Performance will be slightly slower but not enough to make a noticeable difference for HTPC use.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi,

One more thing. I'm planning on installing XBMC's version of Ubuntu on my HTPC. Will all those pieces be ok for it? I just want to make sure there won't be problems with some of the parts I chose and Linux, especially regarding drivers.

So, here's the list of the parts of my build. Do you see any potential problem that could occur with Linux?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($45.40 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.05 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.83 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B HTPC Case ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.88 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $397.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-04 18:06 EDT-0400)

Finally, if I want to use my Harmony 650 remote to control my HTPC and to turn it on from S5 state and to turn it back to S5 state, which IR receiver should I be looking for? I was reading that guide and the autor mentinoned to pick a receiver that would work easily with Linux regarding the drivers and everything.

Quote:
All I can do if that if you are still planning to buy an IR receiver, make sure it is compatible with Linux out-of-the-box, meaning that the driver should be included in the vanilla Linux kernel. This will make life a lot easier for you.
How can I know if a receiver is compatible with Linux out of the box? Are this and this receivers compatibles with Linux (XBMC Ubuntu)? Otherwise, which ones are?

Also, to power my HTPC from S5 state, is a USB IR receiver able to do so or if I should instead buy a CIR IR receiver (I have a CIR header on my ASRock motherboard)?

Thanks in advance,

Blaccko

Last edited by Blaccko; 2013-08-04 at 07:19 PM.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 07:52 PM
Veteran

I can't say for sure if Ubuntu will work on that hardware but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. The only possible catch I see are the Intel graphics. I've no experience with that but I do know that Intel graphics drivers are available.

You basically have two choices with Ubuntu and XBMC. Those are to install XBMC on a standard Ubuntu distro or to install the dedicated XBMCbuntu distro. Another option is OpenELEC, which is a very lightweight distro. I've had good success with OpenELEC on a couple of low powered systems (Intel Atom with ION graphics and AMD Athlon X64.)

I can't say what will work with S5 standby. I doubt that any USB remote will support S5 standby. I can say that generic MCE remotes will work if S3 standby is used. I purchased a cheap USB MCE remote plus receiver (branded PC Remote) on eBay and use the receiver with a Harmony remote. I've seen PCI based remotes that supported S5 but they weren't worth the extra cost and hassle over a USB remote.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the informations ExDilbert. I think I'll go with XBMCbuntu over a full Ubuntu installation as I will only need XBMC on that machine.

I thought that the CIR header was needed to wake up from S5 state because a USB header wouldn't allow this. However, I'm not sure. I'll try to speak to someone who use the ASRock CIR header.

Blaccko
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 09:45 AM
Veteran

I'll have to check, but I am 90% sure the CIR remote can wake from S5. I use CIR on my HTPC, but have it in S3 standby, and that does wake from remote.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-05, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi,

Thanks classicsat for your help. Let me know if you find out about the CIR header waking an HTPC from S5 state.

Also, do you use XBMCbuntu?

Thanks,

Blaccko
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 07:12 PM
Veteran

I just checked yesterday afternoon, and yes CIR can turn on from S5. Looking, I use the S4 sleep mode, not S3.

I don't use that software, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, and WMC for my DVR software, and just drag the web browser or media app to the TV screen.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2013-08-06, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi,

Thank you very much for the test you made for me. I really appreciate it.

I'm ordering everything tomorrow!

Blaccko

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in