WMC Win7 suddenly needs a decoder - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-16, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

WMC Win7 suddenly needs a decoder

As the subject says all of a sudden today it says it needs there is something wrong with the decoder.

Anyone ever have this problem. I cannot get this to work no matter what I do. I lost the audio aswell but managed to get that back. Even Youtube wouldn't work originally (Can't Play Video) until I fixed the audio. WinTV was also having problems. I uninstalled the software for the Hauppage tuner and re-installed it but no change with WMC but WinTV suddenly worked again. Oddly enough if I watch tv on an extender it works fine.

Ready to put my foot through my tv here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-16, 10:17 PM

Any new updates that might have removed the proper settings/registration in the registry? I have seen this before but it was due to a program that I had installed which thought it was the king of the hill and messed up my settings to suit himself. Didn't take long that it was removed from my computer.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 11:22 AM

there definitely has been updates pushed to win7 in the last few days

I would assume that had something to do with it

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Try upgrading your video card drivers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I am not getting anywhere with this damn thing. It wouldn't surprise me if it was infact an update that did it since one was installed just before powering off the night before. I did uninstall the update but it never made a difference. I have tried resetting WMC and also re-installing just about every codec package I could find and that didn't change a thing. I have a bad feeling I will have to re-install everything on this machine..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 06:38 PM

Quote:
also re-installing just about every codec package I could find
That could be a really big mistake as installing many codecs can lead to even worse issues.

I would advise checking the restore points on your computer. Look for one that is at least a week old and see if you can restore back to that point.

Failing that, do you have backups? If so, you could do a full restore to a week or so ago.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-17, 08:12 PM

Of all the codec packs out there, I favor Klite full. It has every codec required to play todays medias.

I wouldn't reinstall anything at that point. I would remove any software that isn't required for the moment and gradually add whatever you need to play your movies. Too much info or softwares added in one time causes more headaches than solving your problem....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-18, 01:34 AM

As for me, when Windows7 gets borked I'd rather do a clean install then try to sort it out.

WMC is a pain to re-setup from scratch but I've never needed any special or third party codecs to playback recorded OTA.

Bill
My blog
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-19, 05:11 PM
Veteran

It's usually best to find out exactly which CODEC is missing and just install the best in class solution for that format. For example, I find that AC3filter is often required to decode AC3 in ATSC files. However, required CODECs can be provided from a number of sources, some not so obvious. Problems often arise when a new CODEC is installed by a piece of media software and it doesn't work right for a particular format. It may simply be misconfigured or it may be broken and install itself with a higher priority than the one that worked previously. Sorting out a jumble of overlapping CODECs can be a real pain. A program like GSpot can determine a media file's format and help to find the required decoders. A program like GraphStudio can show how a file is being decoded during playback and be used to determine exactly which decoder is being used (or not.) Sometimes it's as simple as the audio being sent to the wrong output on the audio device (audio device configuration issue.) That can also happen in an application (application configuration issue.)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-19, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I got it fixed.. I HAD to do a system restore. I did one from a few days prior and everything is back to normal now. I would still like to know what happened to cause it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-19, 07:38 PM

Likely you installed something that screwed up a codec or file.

NOw that its working, do a full system backup. Then make sure you create a new system restore point then add back slowly any new items or updates ensuring that you create a new restore point after each change.

Last edited by Danster; 2013-06-20 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in