New Roku Software? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

New Roku Software?

Anyone get it yet? They sent me an email sometime in February telling me about a new user interface and there is also an icon on the home screen which shows what the new user interface will look like but so far my unit has not been updated. Just wondering if any one has got it yet? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 02:02 PM

They just did the update for Roku 3 a couple of weeks ago and are still working on Roku 2 AFAIK. You can try the following to force an update:

Settings > System update > Check now
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-04-24, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Don't even bother - it will update automatically when they push it.

The email said that they will deploy it by May 20th. I think it's going to be very close to that date, not too much sooner. Which is probably good. If they pushed it too soon and had too many bugs then everyone would be complaining to have the old one back.

Wait another month, then re-ask your question. Also I wonder how it will look in Canada since the on-screen advertisements are all for US services (i.e. hulu+) and the search is also across those services. Did they ever even actually say non-US markets would even get the update?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Mine is setup with a US address and my router has a US DNS so I get the US content. I don't know if Canadian units will be targeted but I don't see why not. They appear to share the same interface now. I reread my last email which I got March 22 and it said within a few weeks. Just curious to see if it had started yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Did a check yesterday and got the 5.0 update on my XS. Had previously checked this past Saturday so out only came down the pipe to me this week.

Only used it for a minute or two but so far it looks exactly the same as on the roku 3 - didn't notice any differences. Netflix now shows the SuperHD symbol.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 12:25 PM

I downloaded it last night. Took a while. Looks the same as my Roku 3.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 02:06 PM

got it this morning. looks great, much nicer for navigating through all the channels. and a couple new features (themes). i dont have the search option from home screen though. is that purely for the 3?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Interesting. I do have search in the main list. Maybe because they think I am a U.S. customer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 12:19 PM
Veteran

I forced a software update on mine. Looks real nice, didn't spend too much time with it, but it seems faster than before.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I have been away for a few days but when I checked last night it said an update was available. Download was quick and easy. New software is a little easier to navigate through the channels with since it's no longer a single long line of channel icons but now most fit on the screen in a matrix layout. It's a nice upgrade. Didn't spend much time watching it so I don't know if it's faster or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in