Roku Software - Canada vs US - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 07:36 PM
Veteran

It sounds like all of the issues are with your Bell Turbo Hub and unblock-us. You should probably work through the problem on the unblock-us support forums.

All that stuff you did about creating a US Roku account you shouldn't actually need to do. You should be able to buy a Canadian Roku, create a Canadian Roku account using a Canadian address, create a Canadian Netflix account, and as long as unblock-us is working properly you'll get the US netflix content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-25, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
All that stuff you did about creating a US Roku account you shouldn't actually need to do.
Agreed.

Unless Roku has changed something recently, the country of your Roku account only impacts which Roku 'channels' are available for you to install.

If you use a Canadian address you won't see Hulu Plus, VUDU, Amazon Prime, etc., but if you just want Netflix, you're fine since it's available in Canada, and it should switch catalogs based on your Unblock-US settings, although you have to restart the Netflix app and maybe even the Roku (to clear cached address lookups) if you switch from one Netflix region to another.

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 2014-11-01, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
...While I do love my three Roku's I think the big disadvantage is that there's no native Canadian rental sources. If I I want to rent a movie I need to switch back to iTunes and my ATV3.
Finally, Google Play Movies & TV comes to the Roku!!! Channel added today in Canada and the US. Using it right now to watch Google Play content. This is a fantastic improvement.

Before we get into a "why not just use the Chromecast" conversation, I do also have a chromecast and I do like it. But there are also some advantages to the Roku. Mainly, I've already got a bunch of them hooked up to TVs where as the Chromecast I have to move around. And another important point is "the remote control". Late at night I can fall asleep with the remote in hand where as my phone I like to have powered down and charging.

It's interesting though that you can't Googlecast to the Roku from the Play Movies app on Android. From Netflix (which also has DRM) on Android I can cast to the Chromecast, Samsung TV, or the Roku. Same with Youtube. But Play Movies only casts to the Chromecast.

Anyway, for now having access to the Google Play library directly from the Roku is a fantastic improvement. I'm lovin it and using it.

P.S. Cineplex Roku app also just added. So that's two ligit Canadian rental options now on the Roku - finally!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in