Roku Software - Canada vs US - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 06:56 PM

Setup Unblock-US or Unotelly first - it's a free trial so you have nothing to lose other than a little time.

The simplest way to configure it is to change your home router's settings so that all of your devices use the Unblock-US DNS. They have instructions on their web site for most types of routers.

Once you have confirmed that Unblock-US is working, plug your Roku3 into a TV and configure it to access you LAN. It will show you a code and tell you to visit owner.roku.com to create an account or associate the device with an existing account.

Create your Roku account on owner.roku.com but pay close attention and make sure that it thinks you're in the US. Roku decides what 'channels' your account can see in the channel store based on the country of your owner.roku.com account. If it thinks you're in Canada you may have to empty your browser cache, clear cookies, and then try again.

The Roku3 gets connected to your account via a code you enter on owner.roku.com. Once you've done that you should be able to see US apps like Hulu and VUDU.

Netflix is easy because you can go through the normal Canadian Netflix sign-up process. Having Unblock-US working is what causes devices to show you the American Netflix catalogue of programs. Netflix shows you the catalogue from the country it thinks your device is in at the time it connects, so with Unblock-US you can pick from 10 or 11 different countries for Netflix.

Hulu Plus is a little trickier to get an account for since they won't directly take Canadian credit cards. I mention some workarounds on my blog (http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/2...in-canada.html), but if you have a credit card issued by a US bank then you've got it easy.

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-02-17 at 05:12 PM. Reason: affiliate links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Take a look at the setup guide on the Unblock-Us website, it has simple step by step info on how to setup your Roku to get much more content. Services like Unblock-Us & Unotelly are the best way to go to 'spoof' your location for products like the Roku & PS3 as you can set the DNS on your router (unless you have Telus Optik or similar IPTV service).
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 09:33 PM
Rookie

How to get US content with Roku

Hi, jcol.

Thanks for getting back...and with such detail.

I may not be understanding your message completely.....but, it almost sounds as though your VPN was of no benefit when setting up your Roku to obtain US content.

Sounds like you just went to the Internet and found some random IP address and keyed it into your router.....and, ba-da-boom, you got US Netflix.

Am I missing something? Where does the VPN come into play?

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 10:04 PM
Rookie

Hey, rosenqui.......

Thanks for your feedback.

Just how DO you "confirm that Unblock-US is working,"

Also, does it sound to you when you read jcol's message that he didn't even need a VPN in order to get US Netflix on his Roku........or am I reading his msg wrong??

Also, gotta admit I jumped the gun before reading your message and clicked "OK" to connect the Roku to my network. That took me to a screen where it told me to go to a computer and to to: roku.com/link and enter a four digit alpha-numeric code.

Is this, perhaps, the new version of the owner.roku screen you mention?

Anyway, at this point, I'm just curious about whether in fact I even NEED Unblock-US to get the US content and/or to register this thing, based on jcol's comments.

Thoughts? Anyone?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 11:23 PM
Veteran

You can verify whether unblock-us is working on a computer by opening up a web browser and going to their page. There's a status indicator along the bottom. You're not going to be able to verify from a device without a browser (such as the Roku) directly. But if you've set it up in your router properly so that the computer can verify it then it's going to work on the Roku as well. (Worst case, reboot the Roku or reset the network settings on it so it gets the new DNS.)

You don't need unblock-us to register the roku (create the roku account). But you do need to if you want US netflix content. I think I tried it just using some public DNS servers (major ones like Google) but it didn't work. Maybe the earlier poster was successful because he was using a smaller more obscure DNS server.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-05-28, 06:39 AM

Uncle Scotty - You are correct. My VPN only changes the IP of my desktop computer that it is running on. If I choose to run Netflix on this computer I would get the US content. I use my VPN connection for other reasons so I'm still happy I have it. In order to get the Roku working you need to change your router settings because you cannot change any network setting on the Roku directly. It simply goes out, finds your network and attaches to it. Unblockus is using the same DNS spoof that I described. The difference is they are charging you for a US DNS IP that they guarantee it will work. I simply did a google search for US DNS and found several"free" DNS IP's. The one I selected was confirmed to work on a PS3 which does allow you to input a DNS IP directly. I'm not suggesting that UnblockUS isn't worth it but the free DNS IP's seem to work just as well. As I mentioned I have been using this IP since before Christmas. I would suggest you just do the search and try it. If it doesn't work go with UnblockUS. Good luck.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 03:47 PM
Rookie

Cannot get authorization code from Rokyu

I set up my router with the UNBLOCK-US DNS address and I also created a US identity at rokyu.com. I then connected my Rokyu to the TV and followed the instructions, connecting successfully to my home network (wirelessly) and to the Internet (well, a green checkmark said so). When I proceeded to access the Rokyu site to obtain a code number, it hung for a while before telling me there was a problem with my Internet connection. I tried resetting my Rokyu (power connection only, press the reset for 30 seconds, pull the power and keep pressing for 10 more seconds) but the same problem remained. I have verified that my Internet is working fine with the new DNS. What silly mistake am I making please?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 06:23 PM
Veteran

Contact Unblock-Us support or check the Support section, they are very quick in responding and the FAQ's are excellent.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 08:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Contact Unblock-Us support or check the Support section, they are very quick in responding and the FAQ's are excellent.
brownstar - thanks for responding. Excuse me but I don't see the connection - are you saying that Unblock-Us's DNS is causing this problem? If so then how about if I connect to a different one - such as Google's at 8.8.8.8?
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 09:19 PM
Veteran

Yes, if al your other hardware work since you changed your DNS settings then check the Unblock-Us site to see if you have to do anything else with the Roku to make it work as you wish. They have an extensive configuration section that I would start with.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-23, 09:55 PM

Can't get Roku 3 to see US Netflix. I have been at this for two days. I finally reset everything and started again. Still no luck.

I have my Netgear router DNS set to the Unblock US addresses. I have my PC set up with US-Unblock and validated both were set properly. I created a brand new email address on Gmail and put my address as the US. Even though my Netflix account was actually showing US content on my PC (not my Roku), I deleted my Netflix account and recreated it with the new email addy. I then did a factory reset on the Roku and then went to the roku.com/link page and entered the code. When I subsequently set up my Roku account, I entered a US address for my billing address. The only possible thing has to be my credit card is recognized as Canadian. I tried using Paypal instead, but go the same result, so I switched back to the credit card.

This is the third or fourth time I have done this now. At one point (don't remember when) I remember seeing Hulu and Amazon as options (only available on the US Roku) but regardless, Netflix was still reverting to Canadian content only.

I am getting pretty fed up. I thought that's what the Unblock US was for, to ensure that the Roku and Netflix would act as though they were in the US. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Any thoughts?
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-23, 10:22 PM
Veteran

That should work Trish. When you go into Netflix on the Roku do you see your "Instant Queue" at the top? If you do, that confirms you're on Netflix Canada - if you don't are you possibly on Netflix USA? Remember that the suggested titles in each category may or may not be the same as what you see on the website.

You can also try removing the app and re-adding it on the Roku itself but you shouldn't need to.

When you go into the Roku settings -> Network you see the IP of your Netgear router as the default gateway? Just wondering if you're connecting to a telus modem or something upstream of your Netgear.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-23, 10:44 PM

Yes, I see "Instant Queue" and after adding about 10 items to "My List" on my PC, it's only showing one of the items. I know that item happens to be on both the US and Canadian list. I have also searched for a couple of shows that are available via my PC in the US Netflix and cannot find them in the Roku Netflix content. My partner has the Roku at his place and he hasn't got this issue, although as I recall, it took him a while to get the configuration right. However, he has given me all kinds of suggestions, and none are working. I am using Bell wireless turbo hub (cellular) and he has Roger's cable. Not sure if that really matters. I checked the Unblock US for setting up the Netgear router, and I have it done properly. Not sure what else to do.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 09:44 AM
Veteran

So when you go into the Roku Setup->Networking and look at the networking option checked (wireless or ethernet) does it show the Netgear or the Bell Turbo Hub as the default gateway?

Also if you release all clients do you see the Roku re-establish itself in the DHCP table of the Netgear?

What about taking your Roku to your partner's place and trying it there. When you do that do you see the US titles there?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 12:14 PM

The Netgear IS the Bell Turbo Hub. Sorry, I guess I didn't explain. Yes, the Netgear (Bell Turbo Hub) is the default gateway (192.168.1.1).

I may try taking it to his place.

When I set up my last Roku account with a US address and Canadian credit card (after deleting it for the third or forth time), and set up the account BEFORE I plugged in the Roku (which I had already reset to factory defaults), and THEN linked the device to my already established Roku account, the "welcome" and billing email came back with the Roku US Support number at the bottom -- previous accounts set up had Canadian Support numbers at the bottom. When I opened my Roku account in this manner, I did manage to see Hulu and Amazon (US only) on the website, but as soon as I linked my device and then went into Netflix on the Roku, I was presented with ONLY Canadian content (AGAIN). As an FYI, Hulu and Amazon are both on the Roku.

Also, the minute I try and move around the Roku site on my PC (which by the way has the Unblock US DNS tool running in ADDITION to the Bell Turbo Hub/Netgear set DNS), it keeps going to the Canadian site. The country selector at the bottom won't change, no matter what country I pick. I keeps going back to Canada. Something MUST be stuck in memory somewhere. It sure can't figure out why it's happening. Any hidden files that Chrome or Explorer might store this info. I have tried setting up from both and still don't see US Netflix on the Roku, only on the PC.

The other thing is, I am upgrading and changing to xplornet Line of Site internet next week, so I will try again once that's done. Maybe it's a Bell thing. Don't know for sure. Seems very odd to me.

Trish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in