SONY Google TV in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

SONY Google TV in Canada

I just got my SONY NSZ-GS7 from The Source.

It is the only Google TV ("GTV") device that is being officially supported in Canada, so I would like to hear how others have succeeded to take advantages of GTV's possibilities for "integrating" the Cable and Internet worlds.

I am very pleased with the GS7, but I have run into some issues independent of the integration question.

Most importantly, I cannot connect either of my Western Digital My Book USB hard drives (a 640 GB and a 1TB). As soon as I connect either, the free RAM on the GS7 dives from an initial 350MB to 45MB, at which point it crashes.

What have been your experiences with the SONY Google TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-16, 03:05 PM

I am very interested in this product so would love to hear yours and others feedback. I am considering this or the NetGear Prime or the Roku 3.

I want it for Plex and Netflix so I can replace an HTPC which is overkill.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Hi, @XM4243.

I am very pleased with the SONY Google TV. It does Netflix and PLEX very well.

SONY updated the firmware the other day, and among other things it corrected the USB HD crash problem I was having.

I am in the Montréal area, subscribed to Vidéotron cable TV. The SONY allows me to switch from Internet to TV with a single button, and the Vidéotron program guide is just another button click. I can click another button to place the cable TV in a small window while the rest of the screen is Internet functionality. I haven't touched the Vidéotron remote control since I got the SONY set up.

Another advantage to the SONY is the support. They have online voice and chat support techs in Toronto who are available during normal business hours.

The only downside I see to Google TV in Canada is there is no real integration of internet resources with cable service. If I use the search button on the SONY remote to search for "Rick Mercer Report", for example, it takes me to cbc.ca where I see that it's on Tuesdays at 8pm, but it doesn't take me to the cable guide.

Other IPTV apps that work well on Google TV are:

REDUX TV (http://redux.com/tv) - curated "channels" of great stuff to watch

Mitty Torrents (mitty.co) - a complete solution for finding and watching movies

The SONY is available at BestBuy for $170.

The Netgear GTV-100 looks like a nice machine, but the support is not up to the SONY Canada standard.

I hope that helps you decide whether Google TV is for you

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschall View Post
Hi, @XM4243.

The only downside I see to Google TV in Canada is there is no real integration of internet resources with cable service. If I use the search button on the SONY remote to search for "Rick Mercer Report", for example, it takes me to cbc.ca where I see that it's on Tuesdays at 8pm, but it doesn't take me to the cable guide.
This is what stops me from buying one of these. Cable integration was (I thought) a big part of Google TV. I think it would make for a great user experience with the HDMI feed-through and overlay style UI.

I am not sure why guide integration seems to be a no-go in Canada, but without it Google TV is a non=starter, for me, especially given it's $ premium over the other streaming boxes.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 07:19 PM

Quote:
It does Netflix and PLEX very well.
Thanks jschall!

That's what I really needed to know. I want to buy, however, it is now NOT available at Sony webswite (refurbs only) and I hear there is a new remote that has a built in mic.

Is Sony not selling them anymore in Canada or is it just sold out until the new model with built-in mic becomes available?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 09:57 PM
Veteran

The Roku's also do both Netflix and Plex quite well. And are cheaper and quiet readily available at Walmart, London Drugs, etc.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 11:11 PM

Don't want to go off topic and ruin jschall's thread but for the record: Roku doesn't have the standard plex interface (very clunky on Roku) and, more importantly, can't do directplay over http with .mkv file so Roku is a non-starter with me.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 11:25 PM

Roku interface isnt beautiful, but it's very stable and the end result is very nice

i've got a couple of them, and they're rock solid

Ive seen the sony ones at walmarts around here too
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-18, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

@XM4243:
Have you checked The Source, Best Buy, Future Shop in your neck of the woods?
I just checked all three web sites, all say the SONY is in stock.

By the way, I don't think Voice Search or the new remote with microphone is being rolled out in Canada.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-18, 08:39 AM

jschall, I see that it is in stock with Sony. Must have been just when I was looking because it was refurbs only. I saw them at $170 in BB this weekend and will likely pick one up this week.

The new Plex app for Google TV is available to PlexApp users so it should be available to everyone else real soon. My wife and daughter are big users of Netflix which will make them happy. All the other features will just be icing on the cake

I'm going to replace a Mac Mini which is nice but cumbersome and overkill.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-24, 07:37 PM

I wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has found any work around to get Google TV working with Shaw PRV's? I have mine running Plex and Live TV works but I need to switch remotes when going back and forth plus it would be nice to be able to use the search functions for live TV.

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-26, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, my SONY GTV has always worked perfectly with Vidéotron's PVR, and now I have upgraded to Bell Fibe, and it works well with it, too.

Were you able to get the GTV IR Blaster to recognize the Shaw PVR codes?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-30, 05:01 PM

My Sony has the US firmware on it and I have not found any entries that will work. I have entered the Motorola model numbers but nothing has worked with the IR blaster.

have you been able to get a guide working as well or just sending IR signals?

Hitachi 55HDT79, Yamaha RX-V540, Energy RC Mini's, and S8.3 sub, Roku 3, Plex , Couchpotato and Sickbeard Google TV GS8
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-10-30, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

@chadsfake: The GUIDE button on the NSZ-GS7 pulls up the Bell Fibe program guide. When I was with Vidéotron, its guide showed up.

Is Shaw's PVR a Motorola model?

I suggest you get help from SONY Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in