Got a Roku 2 XS for Christmas and...... - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 12:10 PM

I am in Canada and the U.S. and, depending on my current location, need access to both Canadian and U.S. IP addresses.

I use Overplay. It works well with my computers and my AppleTv.
OverPlay has servers all over the world, so it also comes in handy if you want to watch stuff from BBC or elsewhere in the world.

It works with iPad, iPhone, Boxee, Roku, Xbox, PS3, Mac, Linux and several others.

Here is a link to their site Overplay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 12:35 PM

UnBlock-US does not require a US-based address/credit card. I use paypal. Also there's no contract, $5.00/month. I say give it a try and cancel if you don't like it. It's just a DNS lookup change on either your device, or on your router if you want to change the whole house at once. Dead simple. It allows you to choose Netflix content (US/CAN/UK/ etc...).

Now, to replace your cable/satellite you would need something like HULU Plus. For THAT you need a US address, credit card, VPN. Much more hassle to setup - but there are services that will handle the setup for you, legally. $60 for 6 months I think. HULU Plus is not commercial free however with no means to skip commercials either, but their content is quite large (TV, movies, etc)
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:01 PM
Rookie

I use blockless.com for my usvpn - no major issues to date. Only issue I encountered was that I signed up and didn't actively use the IP for about 3 weeks, after which it seemed to go dormant. A re-set up of the devices and it worked like a charm.

$4.95 a month - works with routers as well as individual devices (Roku, Boxee, Apple TV). I've got the later 2 running with Netflix and definitely enjoying the wide selection. I'm also done with watching weekly episodic shows - would rather hunker down for a few nights watching seasons of one or two shows until it finishes or we're caught up.

Last edited by 57; 2013-01-07 at 01:18 PM. Reason: OT paragraph removed

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Services for US Credit Card/Address

Cybergy wrote "...HULU Plus. For THAT you need a US address, credit card, VPN. Much more hassle to setup - but there are services that will handle the setup for you, legally. $60 for 6 months I think."

Does anyone know where to find these services and are they legit? Ideally in the form of a pre-paid credit card so if they are sketchy, it's not a huge loss of funds and privacy. I read post where people say their available, but I'd really like to have someone state specifically who the provider of that service is, and do they work with online content providers like Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus?
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Cybergy wrote "...HULU Plus. For THAT you need a US address, credit card, VPN. Much more hassle to setup - but there are services that will handle the setup for you, legally. $60 for 6 months I think."

Does anyone know where to find these services and are they legit? Ideally in the form of a pre-paid credit card so if they are sketchy, it's not a huge loss of funds and privacy. I read post where people say their available, but I'd really like to have someone state specifically who the provider of that service is, and do they work with online content providers like Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus?
Quote:
Does anyone know where to find these services...
howtogetitincanada.com

http://www.howtogetitincanada.com/hu...sential-guide/

There's a step by step for both DIY or Done-for-you.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Awsome. Thanks.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 02:28 PM
Veteran

You don't need an actual address in the US to get Hulu Plus, just use a fake zip code.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 03:17 PM
Rookie

I realize I'm late to the thread but I just followed the email link in...

My question is about the Roku, can it be used to surf to a regular website and watch streaming video?

Could I for instance go to the Knowledge network site at knowledge.ca and then watch some of the programs they offer up for viewing?

Jeff
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 05:05 PM

@JayArr

"My question is about the Roku, can it be used to surf to a regular website and watch streaming video?"

I can do that on my Jailbroken ATVs, but I haven't been able to do it on my Rokus.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
You don't need an actual address in the US to get Hulu Plus, just use a fake zip code.
You need a credit card with a US address. Not sure you can fake that.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 07:53 PM
Veteran

No you don't, you can use a fake one during the registration process
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 08:11 PM

It's possible things have changed since you signed up. I tried just a week or two ago; couldn't use paypal.ca, couldn't use my MasterCard (Canadian address) and when I fudged it to an US address obviously the CC transaction failed.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough...
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Cybergy have you tried following the steps here?
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

It sounds like a headache to get Hulu Plus to work here in Canada.

To be honest, aside from the hurdles you have to get through to get it to work I don't understand why anyone would even be interested in a service that runs a ridiculous amount of commercials within a 30 minute show.

I've never used the service but read ALOT of stuff on forums that made me say "HELL NO" to Hulu Plus. I gave Crackle a shot and I found way too many commercial breaks...but one should expect that because IT'S FREE. You are PAYING for Hulu yet it has even MORE ads than Crackle does! WTF???

Why would anyone be interested in that? I don't care how many tv shows they have in their library. I'd rather stick with Netflix because I can't stand commercials...especially when you see the SAME ONES over and over every 5 minutes. No thanks Hulu!

I understand that it's the commercials that sponsor Hulu and keep it going...but they just run too many of them. If they had one commercial in the beginning and one at the end, I'd be ok with that. But to have anywhere from 6-9 commercials within a 30 minute show is disgusting. To be honest, I wouldn't even watch something like that even if it were FREE.

We were watching an episode of "Different Strokes" on Crackle and the commercial actually interrupted the show (Willis was in the middle of talking) and then BAM...a ******* commercial! That was enough for me. Exited the app and went back to Netflix. If Netflix can afford to run without commercials, so can Hulu. They should be offering a premium service at say $10.00 per month and have no ads.

The amounts of commercials they run is atrocious according to what I've read online. Why would you want to pay for that??? I would really like to know. Honestly, I'd rather plunk down $40 bucks on a dvd set than sit through all those ads.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 2013-01-08, 12:40 AM
Veteran

Never really noticed too many commercials on Hulu, definitely less than on cable!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in