Any Early Windows 8 HTPC Adopters? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Any Early Windows 8 HTPC Adopters?

I would be very curious if any windows 8 adopters have set it up as a htpc. If so any problems, and more importantly could anyone check if the metro netflix app, or especially the mce netflix app in windows 8 works in canada, since windows 7 one does not.

It would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-15, 08:42 PM
Veteran

I haven't upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 for my HTPC yet, but I plan to do so the moment it goes RTM.
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 07:13 PM

I, on the other hand, will stick with Windows 7 and Media Center. For some reason, I can't get very excited by the Metro UI and the loss of Media Center. Whereas I couldn't wait to get Win 7 with all of the improvements over XP-MCE and Vista.

Sony Bravia XBR 55X900F, Vizio SB3651, Dell Studio XPS 8100, AMD 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, ASUS BC-12B1ST, Windows 10

post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 11:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
the loss of Media Center
Windows 8 has Media Center.
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 11:46 PM
Veteran

I'm going to wait until MediaBrowser supports Windows 8 before I consider a move.
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 12:21 AM
Veteran

I have tried Win8 but won't put it on my HTPC since you can't boot into MC directly. I would doubt that Netflix is any different under MC - why not set up your system as being in the US - then you can use Netflix under MC. That's what I have done. The main downside to that is that you will have to trick the system to get Canadian cable/sat channels. But then you get tons of other online content only available in the US.
post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Windows 8 has Media Center.
From what I have read, it is unchanged from Windows 7 MC and it is a paid addon. I boot my Windows 7 HTPC once every few weeks. I don't see any benefit to upgrading to Windows 8.
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Upgrading at this time is a definite disadvantage when using third party software. Those applications may operate poorly or not at all under Win8. Waiting for the final release date will provide a better chance of finding Win8 support for critical software.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Upgrading at this time is a definite disadvantage when using third party software. Those applications may operate poorly or not at all under Win8.
Do you have any specific HTPC software examples that operate poorly or not at all (under Windows 8) to share?
post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:46 PM
Veteran

We're talking about MCE with 3rd party softwares here. Not general Windows softwares. MediaBrowser being such an example. I am not willing to part with it and will wait until official Win8 support before I consider a move.
post #11 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Interesting. I currently use Recorded TV HD instead of Media Browser these days, and when I tried it on Windows 8 it seemed to work properly.

I'll ask the author if he is aware of any issues with Windows 8. I'd be surprised if there were any because WMC isn't changing much.
post #12 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:57 PM
Veteran

There may be no problems, but I sure am not going to be the first one to try to find out. I have way too much invested in this and the family will literally kill me if I screw it up for the sake of curiosity.

I'll wait for the official word from the developers before I consider Win8.
post #13 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 07:38 PM
Veteran

Well, the Recorded TV HD plugin author responded to me saying that it works just fine in Windows 8, so it looks like I'm good-to-go.
post #14 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-19, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

I am an xbmc user myself, but due to lack of any good netflix app other then the mce one which i cant get working in canada...

With xbmc you can call up any mce app like the netflix.

Apparently xbmc works fine on windows 8, their was a fix for booting right into xbmc posted on the forum, but unfortunately its more work then i care for, for something that should not be a problem. I expect that startup error patched? I assume its just an error.

Wayne any details on how you got mce netflix app setup as an american as long as its not the vpn solution which i am not interested in, i have been searching for weeeks for a solution.

I heard the mce netflix app does work in canada using windows 8 mce, but it would be great if a windows 8 mce user could just clarify and try it or confirm.

Also doesnt windows 8 metro have a netflix app itself? I am guessing that might work in canada.

Otherwise solutions for netflix gui i have found abysmal on pc.
post #15 of 191 (permalink) Old 2012-07-19, 05:50 PM
Veteran

My plan is to use Metro apps for content providers like Netflix or Hulu and control them using a remote (or The Loop).

For the future, I hope that everything for HTPC purposes migrates to Metro (including a TV app). Further, I hope that the next Xbox allows any developer to release apps in the Microsoft Store (like the smartphone model) so that developers who make Metro HTPC software can write client software for Xbox devices and won't need to create their own client hardware (like SageTV did).

I think a series of Metro apps that you can navigate from 10ft away makes a lot more sense than WMC + custom addons written for a interface that is much more limiting than Metro.

Most of the above will happen, I'm sure. The only uncertain bit (in my view) is the possibility of the next Xbox being a general purpose computing device that any developer can easily write (and deploy) apps for.

Tags
htpc , windows 8 , windows media centre , wmc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in