XBMC to tv help. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

XBMC to tv help.

Family Desktop PC with Xbmc installed is 10 ft from TV.

Can 1 person perform normal cumputing duties sitting at desk with attached DVI monitor, while another can watch XBMC on the TV via HDMI from same PC?

ITs not your typical "dual monitor", because each monitor has different user and tasks associated with it. PC is 2core.

I have googled this question many times and can't find an answer, tweak , or Hack on the subject.

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 08:25 PM

It might be possible using "Theatre Mode" in Catalyst however I'm not sure if the remote will be responsive because xmbc may not be the active window. So two ifffies there: Is your vid card AMD or does it support a "Theatre Mode". And: How does your remote interact with your PC?

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

The cpu is AMD and the video card is Nvidia. Am not sure of theater mode.

I would use the android phone app to control xbmc, i dont think that would be a problem.

I am sure a lot of people do what I am asking, I just can't find any wikis on it.

Please help!!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 07:47 PM

easy cheapest way is to get a netbook with bad battery or a laptop with broken LCD and use the vga out to the lcd tv.

it's even cheaper than buying a new dual monitor video card

My digital setup: OTA tv, VOiP.ms+cisco spa2102, AEI.ca adsl, Koodo 45$ unlimited+1Gb, XBMC on hdmi dongle ( dx.com )
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 09:38 PM

Or if you found the older jailbroken Apple TV 2, you can load XBMC on it. I have 2 with XBMC, and at [email protected] they are a cost effective solution. Small, use very little power, and 720p. Plus they have Netflix and the ability to rent movies. Wireless, works with any remote amd HDMI. Newly released Apple TV2 will be hackable soon.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-25, 11:39 AM
Rookie

I think the reason you're not having a lot of luck searching for a solution to this question is that it's in large part it is hardware defendant. Using my HD ATI graphic card... I can have XBMC operational full screen on the TV while computing with win7. But many people find issues with an extended screen set-up and full screen taking focus, leaving them unable to do O/S tasks. Sadly they end up using 'Windowed XBMC' - cpu/gpu intensive mode with normal window gadgets showing up on their TV.

Set-up your normal extended desktop across the two devices... run XBMC in windowed mode... drag the window to the TV (or second video display) and use the \'slash key' to enter full screen mode...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-25, 12:50 PM
Veteran

PatK has it right. It can be done but their will most likely be no remote control of XBMC. There may be solutions that will provide separate "hooks" for the remote but I don't think XBMC will do it as provided. The other problem with XBMC is that it usually wants to minimize when it loses focus. It may be possible to run the XBMC session in a virtual machine but that requires some decent RAM and CPU power, not to mention good video emulation, and the remote control input issue still needs to be resolved. Obtaining a cheap media player or a second PC for HTPC use may be the best solution.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 04:33 AM

This is one of the reason why am using Serviio instead. If you got a ps3, Xbox 360, or any dlna capable device connected to your TV it the best way to go. For that matter most recent middle range HDTV have media center connectivity already!
You get a lot of the XBMC functionality without having to physically connect your PC to a TV that likely already networked one way or another anyway. I was a long time user of Mediatomb but since that project is pretty much dead I would not recommend it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 01:52 PM

You may get around the remote issue by using EventGhost. It can be config'd to act on a specific windowed app.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Here is an article that might be of some help. It is a bit old (they talk about AGP video cards), but it should still be doable. Looks like you will need a separate video card for the TV though.

Build a Six-Headed, Six-User Linux System

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in