HTPC Can this be done? (BTV 6131) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

HTPC Can this be done? (BTV 6131)

I have a BEV 6131 subbed, my goal is to convert this into a (fibe or nextbox) problem is HDCP from what I can see.

Single tuner not a problem but I want to record via our HDMI from the 6131 into my HTPC (HD quality) then with the ability to stream / move my recordings from the HTPC to another HTPC in the house or to multiple HTPC's in the house or laptops.

lag is not a problem because I can sync at night or during days, but my concern is the actual output of the 6131 into my HTPC. will i need a stripper? do strippers work?

Any suggestions would be welcomed, I am considering using the component out but I would like to maintain quality.

Thank You,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 06:23 PM

So you have a Bell sat reciever if I'm right.
Do you have a tuner card in your PC? The COAX input on the tuner card will retain the signal quality of the sat reciever.
If so and you have Windows 2000 or better and a graphics card with HDMI/DVI/S-video then NextPVR (it's free) will handle your desire to view and distribute live TV, recordings and other video/music thoughout your network. For a laptop on wireless you need 100mps min. for HD.
If you do not as yet have a tuner card take a look at a Hauppauge 2250 MCE KIT as it comes with an IR "blaster" to control the BVT with the remote.

In fact all the wonderfull things that Roger$ new nextbox can do NextPVR has been doing for at least a year as well as giving you remote access via the web to manage recordings or stream liveTV or recordings to remote PCs or smartphones.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 06:53 PM
Veteran

OTAJuncqui is right that you are better off using a PC based HTPC. You will need a Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colossus and you will have to use component but it is unlikely that you will notice the quality difference. OTA is actually easier and cheaper to record if you have that option available to you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 06:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAJuncqui
The COAX input on the tuner card will retain the signal quality of the sat receiver.
However, the RF-coax output of the STB is SD, therefore if he wants HD he'll need something like the Hauppauge - discussed extensively in this HTPC section of the forum. As mentioned above you'll need to use component video and you likely won't notice the difference, as discussed in the HDMI FAQ and Cables & Connections FAQ. Here's the FAQ on Recording HD:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

Here's a useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

My intention is to record in HD

I'm not interested in SD (technology has turned me into a snob). But with goals to buy another high end TV I want the best possible quality.

Legally our providers have us by the NUTS! so I'm trying to loosen the grip and expand my freedom, I suppose the best solution but in my mind not the ideal solution is to go with component. though I am unsure on the quality I will sacrifice. As of now I do not have equipment so I was planning on buying according to what was needed. But seeing as I won't be able to record in 1080i/p without a lot of $$ and legalities I am forced to go the component route. From what I read (Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p) which I'm a little disappointed, but it it's the only way to go to for simplicity and cost I have no choice. If you have other suggestions I would be interested to hear them

Thanks for the information.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 11:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
From what I read (Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p) which I'm a little disappointed
Your sources are incorrect. Component video is perfectly capable of 720P, 1080i and 1080P, although the outputs and inputs of many devices are limited to 1080i max. Currently BTV transmits all channels in 720P anyway. That's why we've said you'll be hard pressed to find any difference. I suggest you take the time to read the FAQs and links I've already provided to get the correct information, along with the Hauppauge threads linked in those FAQs.

For example, from the HDMI FAQ:

Quote:
2. Be aware that HDMI should not be considered a superior connection to component video in terms of picture quality. Properly calibrated inputs on a TV will usually look the same when using HDMI or CV.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 05:56 PM

Truth be told providers in the US are trending to encrypting ALL of their digital signals and thus limiting recording options to only subscribers who rent/purchase their equipment. I would expect Bell (and Roger$) to do the same in time. You may spend time and money chasing this dragon only to end up caving in and getting in line once they lock things up for good.

Srvr:ASUSF1A75-VPro,RadHD6000,A6-3670K,WD2TB,W7Ult
NPVR,5.1,2xHaup2250MC,ATI650,CM7777,WGHD8800,5clts
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 06:02 PM

The digital signals on most major providers (Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, etc) are already encrypted and require the use of their STB. That's why the Hauppauges are basically the only option for recording HD from providers since they take advantage of the "analogue hole" as discussed in the Recording HD FAQ and in the Hauppauge threads.

The OP already has a BTV 6131. All he needs to do now is build the appropriate HTPC, using the appropriate connections, hardware and software to record the signals from it. This has already been discussed extensively in the Hauppauge threads.

That is if he wishes to "move" the recordings around as discussed in his post 1. If he just wishes to record, he can simply add an eHDD to the 6131.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=100773 BTV eHDD.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 06:30 PM

Another, possibly simpler, option to consider would be to pick up an HD Slingbox. This would allow you to placeshift your 6131 to any device with a Slingplayer client.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in