Quick and dirty setup to play AVI and MKV files from PC to TV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 02:13 PM
Veteran

There are a number of options. Some Blu-ray players are capable of playing networked video files. A simple media player can play files from a network. (There are lots and some have been mentioned.) The Pivos Aios is one of the better media players but the software is quite basic. It is a good choice for video file playback. Media players with more sophisticated software are also an option. They include the Boxee and Apple TV players. As with everything, research every option to make sure it meets your requirements.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 05:41 PM

I used to by a heavy duty HTPCer...I still am fairly updated but I don't really use them much anymore honestly after using media players.

Out of the few media players, the Patriot Box Office with 3rd part firmware called mede8er is absolutely the best for everyday use. Older WDTV Live with the mickey mouse remote is actually a joke when compared. I haven't played with the latest versions with a real remote so basic playback functions may indeed be much better. WDTV Live is still a very good choice for one who does online content a bit. The interface is basic but nice and polished.

What the OP wants is exactly what I am talking about. Pause, rewind/replay, skip, time-dial, resume, navigate you shared folders, etc, etc.

The problem with the Box Office is it is end of life with slightly outdated hardware for the latest heavy duty stuff.

The Aios is the one to get with fairly contemporary hardware save no 3D. The interface is not as good as mede8er but the basic functions are there. It can also swallow in a 3.5" HDD if you need to use it on the go but the unit is actually fairly big. Very hard to beat for under $80.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-01, 06:04 PM

the WDTV series will access your shared drives on PC and will remember where you stopped (when you bring up a file you've played before asks if you want to "restart" or "resume").

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Ok... Time to **** or get off the pot.
All 3 of these devices are at my closest retailer and all on sale.

PIVOS AIOS HD Media Center - Full HD 1080p, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Card Reader, 3.5" SATA HotPlug Drive Bay, Blu-ray ISO, UPnP, DLNA, SMB, Dolby TrueHD 7.1
Part no: PTGMCART35-US
*after $20.00 mail-in-rebate
$79.99

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, Wi-Fi, Full-HD 1080p, DLNA (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN)
Part no: WDBHG70000NBK-VESN
after $10.00 instant rebate
$99.99

ASUS O!Play LIVE, Compact HD Media Player - Full 1080p HD, TrueHD 7.1 Surround Sound, RightTxT Subtitle Detection, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 4-in-1 Card Reader, USB 2.0, HDMI, 10W
Part no: OPLAY_LIVE/1A/AS
*after $30.00 mail-in-rebate
$89.99

Patriot Box Office Media Player - Full HD 1080p, MKV, RMVB, Dolby Digital and DTS, 2.5" SATA Enclosure, Supports USB Storage Devices, Network Streaming, UPnP, File Transfer, P2P Download Management (PCMPBO25)
Part no: PCMPBO25
$84.99

What's it going to be boys and girls?
Which on plays the most formats from a wired Gigabit networked Windows 7 PC to a LCD TV through HDMI?

Operators are standing by!

Last edited by Jethro; 2012-03-02 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added PBO
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 09:57 AM

I just took a gander at the Pivos. It certainly has some nice connectivity options.

Pros
No proprietary cables.
An HTML 5 web browser.
coax and optical digital audio
USB3

If that browser can playback YouTube HD music videos I would be all over it.

The real question is not what formats can it play (the 3 devices you listed are pretty complete in that regard) but how stable is it?
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 11:10 AM

The look and feel of the interface on the new WDTV (SMP) is improved over the earily version I have of the WDTV. Biggest for me is now able to search for files not only on the local drive but across the network.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Just found this article from HardOCP for the new Patriot Box Office model PCMPBOA (PBO Alpine with Androi 2.2). Now it's getting even harder to make a choice.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/..._player_review

Last edited by Jethro; 2012-03-02 at 02:14 PM. Reason: add details
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 02:50 PM

yep, positive reviews don't always make the choice easier
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Just found this article from HardOCP for the new Patriot Box Office model PCMPBOA (PBO Alpine with Androi 2.2). Now it's getting even harder to make a choice.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/..._player_review
Promising but probably don't wanna be early adopter(aka guinea pig)

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-02, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Ok... Time to **** or get off the pot.
All 3 of these devices are at my closest retailer and all on sale.

PIVOS AIOS HD Media Center - Full HD 1080p, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Card Reader, 3.5" SATA HotPlug Drive Bay, Blu-ray ISO, UPnP, DLNA, SMB, Dolby TrueHD 7.1
Part no: PTGMCART35-US
*after $20.00 mail-in-rebate
$79.99

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, Wi-Fi, Full-HD 1080p, DLNA (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN)
Part no: WDBHG70000NBK-VESN
after $10.00 instant rebate
$99.99

ASUS O!Play LIVE, Compact HD Media Player - Full 1080p HD, TrueHD 7.1 Surround Sound, RightTxT Subtitle Detection, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 4-in-1 Card Reader, USB 2.0, HDMI, 10W
Part no: OPLAY_LIVE/1A/AS
*after $30.00 mail-in-rebate
$89.99

Patriot Box Office Media Player - Full HD 1080p, MKV, RMVB, Dolby Digital and DTS, 2.5" SATA Enclosure, Supports USB Storage Devices, Network Streaming, UPnP, File Transfer, P2P Download Management (PCMPBO25)
Part no: PCMPBO25
$84.99

What's it going to be boys and girls?
Which on plays the most formats from a wired Gigabit networked Windows 7 PC to a LCD TV through HDMI?

Operators are standing by!
Out of this list, it's either aios or WDTV Live Streaming.

The online apps on the WDTV is actually quite good save no HD youtube using the stock firmware anyways. I personally find the online navigation on the aios less polished and will not consider it for heavy online usage...even though it does youtube HD.

Other considerations, if you RMVB, then must get aios; likewise if you DVR-MS, then must get WDTV Live. It depends on what you have. Either product licks mkvs pretty well these days. I am not sure if WDTV does DTS-HD now or not.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

WD TV Live in da house!

Well I finally went and got a WD TV Live unit. It was actually the slightly more expensive option as it was only $10 off versus others with $20-$30 mail in rebates.
Initially had some issues with sound which turned out to be TV and operator related. :-)
Been working well and does what I want which was play AVI's MKV's and MP4's from my Win7 PC to the TV.
Seems even able to play 720p MKV's through the wireless with out issues. Though I think I will still run a wire eventually.
Firmware updated as soon as I turned it on as well. Downloaded, installed and rebooted all without issue.
Connecting to Network shares is a bit clunky if you want to change the "server". As I was playing movies from my sons PC then mine you have to reselect all the way from the beginning each time as to what Network, Windows Shares, PC, login, folder, file.
And the best feature I wanted was the ability to resume or restart videos previously being viewed.
But of course now wondering whether I should have gotten on with a proper browser just in case I change. Nah... I'll just upgrade then. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in