Small assistance in WDTV Live setup needed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2012-02-10, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Small assistance in WDTV Live setup needed

Hey gang, wondering if you can help me get over a hump here.

I have WDTV installed. Using windows shares I am able to browse my folder my I need some assistance on the next part so I don't go in the wrong direction and have to reformat.

I have an External drive that is my storage drive and I call it S. Inside there i have a truckload of subfolders. What I did was make myself (admin) the owner and of course I have full permissions for the S drive. Admin has full blown everything, whereas the "everyone" account, has read only

After that, I went in and removed permissions from all the subfolders except the ones I want to share on WDTV. IN this case it is TV, Movies, Comics. Everything else I removed permissions from and it has the little padlock.

Now, here is the issue - when I turn on WDTV, after having added the network share, whether I go under Videos or whatever, it shows only the folders I left permissions intact on, but it also shows the S drive which is the parent. I can go in there and browse around freely all the subfolders I removed permissions from.

When I had added the network share on the WDTV I added the admin credentials.

I am guessing because i added the admin account as the WD credentials, I have full blown access to everything.

I am wondering what the best way is to actually restrict it - should i set up another external with only the folder i want to share ? Or is there a way to create a non admin account, sort of a "guest account" on the WD TV so that guest login only sees the shared subfolders ? How would I do that? would i create a gues windows account complete with credentials, then remove my wdtv shares, re-add using the guest windows acct credentials ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2012-02-16, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Figured it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in