Solid State Drive in an aging HTPC - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-02-23, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well as it turns out ... My issues with corrupted downloads were not caused by the onboard nic. Still having the issues even with the onboard disabled using a pci expansion card. I'm guessing whatever is wrong is likely causing playback issues with recorded tv as well due to the large file size.

I spoke to ASUS and they suggested that there could be something wrong with the board that would cause this. Unfortunately it's just out of warranty so and attempt to diagnose and repair through RMA would be chargeable $125 with no guarantee that I'll end up with a fixed board.

Decided to hedge my losses and just go with a new board but couldn't find a 775 board with s/pdif.... Too old I guess.

So now I have a new ASUS P8H61-M with a g620 processor and 4gb ddr3 ram...

Let's hope $200 fixes the problem!!!

Now I'm not sure if I should use the new intel iGPU or my existing radeon hd 2600xt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-02-23, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I've discovered that my raid hiccups when recording 3 or more shows (I should've spent the extra $150 on the raid card that had a dedicated processor! damn), so I'll be eventually getting a dedicated 2 TB for mythtv recordings.
Strange, because years ago I used software RAID (the Windows software RAID feature) for a recording drive using "green" drives, and I did a "stress test". I quoted stress test because it hardly registered as far as queued requests go on the drive using perfmon. And that was with 5 TV recordings being recorded and 4 different recorded shows being viewed (3 on "clients", and one on the server).

I did the same test with all that activity going on with one physical drive (no RAID) and it still had no problems keeping up.

HTPC drive access platters involve a lot of sequential reading and writing. This is something that mechanical drives are very good at.

Your concurrent recording problem must be a software (RAID driver?) issue.

BTW, with modern processors I highly recommend software RAID; specifically the one built into Windows. I've found to to be extremely reliable, and the performance delta between it and "real" hardware raid is practically non-existent because modern processors have gotten a lot faster, where the performance increase of mechanical drives has hardly budged in the mean time. Especially considering that most computers seem to have "spare" processor power in the form of idle cores.

On the other hand, software raid that depends on drivers from companies like HighPoint, Adaptec, SYBA, or LSI... I've seen more problems with those. I think the reason is that fewer people use them and the software development processes those companies use have less rigor than what goes on at Microsoft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in