Looking for decent wireless keyboard/trackball/touchpad - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Looking for decent wireless keyboard/trackball/touchpad

I'm on the hunt for a decent keyboard/trackball/touchpad combo for my HTPC.

The one I have now is a RII mini bluetooth keyboard with a LI-ION battery and a laser pointer (which is only useful to drive the cat nuts). It works OK overall, but sometimes entering in data (like usernames and passwords) take some time in that a keystroke is missed.

I'm looking for a unit that isn't very large as it will sit on my coffee table, that is either infrared, bluetooth, or even RF, as long as the frequency doesn't interfere with WI-FI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:11 PM

Nmedia RF Keyboard w/trackball and Remote Control w/trackball
The keyboard is the same as the Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard W/ Optical Trackball

The keyboard got mushy as it got older, and various liquids were spilled on it.

I replaced it with: Azio KB336RP USB RF Wireless Slim HTPC / Media Center Keyboard Black . It uses a "scissors-key" mechanism which gives it a crisp feel when typing. But I find the touchpad to be less precise or convenient than the track ball.

The IOGEAR 2.4 GHz Wireless Multimedia Keyboard With Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel seems to combine the better keyboard of the Azio with the excellent Nmedia trackball layout.

I've also been looking at: Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:24 PM

If you are a Costco member i got a Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo there for 30bux. They working great with no interference. I have 2 of them in same room on 2 computers and never a problem them. I even use a Logitech wireless gamepad and all devices work fine.

They have decent range and the battery is reported to last ~5months on the mouse and ~15months on the keyboard.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 03:40 PM
Veteran

I am looking for something similar with the added requirement of a keyboard backlight. Rii has a new model, called the N7, which looks like it may be suitable.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 07:00 PM

I'm stil rocking the old MS MCE keyboard. I've tried a bunch of others, and the MCE one just is so rock solid, I can't put it away
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 03:59 PM
Veteran

I use the Logitech diNovo Mini. Also works with the PS3.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/search?q=dinovo+mini
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 04:24 PM
Veteran

I think most people agree that the Logitech diNovo Mini is a nice keyboard but the price is astronomical. There is no logical reason why a mini keyboard should cost so much. Logitech is price gouging on new products.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 01:19 PM
rpr

I have the Lenovo mini wireless keyboard and mouse combo. It works pretty well, as long as the batteries are charged! I think I paid about $40 or last year. Looks like they are going for more than that now though. Still cheaper than the DiNovo.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 11:27 AM

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4
I just picked up the Logitech K400 @ $50, allot cheaper then the DiNovo Mini, (couldn't believe the price on that) and it seems to doing well for me on my HTPC setup.

I got a Harmony One remote and it will be my master when I get my setup all complete.....the K400 gives me the option of the keyboard during setup on my HTPC and the track pad is a nice bonus.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 10:49 PM

Got the Lenovo Multimedia Remote with keyboard a year ago, during a sale.
Excellent device, use it with HTPC. Keyboard works great even with my banana fingers. Easy one hand operation. The newer version has a back light for the keyboard.

Samsung LN46C650 TV + Custom built HTPC w/ AMD Fusion APU
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-02-02, 05:15 PM

I've tried a bunch of different ones. I had my eye on the DiNovo for a long time but just couldn't bring myself to spend over $100 on it. I now have the Lenovo Multimedia Remote and I really like it. It's just the right balance of size vs usability - not too bulky but big enough that it's still comfortable to type on. It's very much like typing on a BlackBerry, complete with the trackpad.

The regular price is $80 but you can frequently get a coupon from RedFlagDeals. I bought one a couple of months ago with a coupon for $43 off, and they just had one recently for $47 off and shipping was free so I bought another one. Total came to just over $37 with taxes which is a great deal for this device.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 07:12 PM
Rookie

Have a look at the Enermax Aurora
http://www.enermax.co.uk/produkte/pe...cro-wirel.html
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 05:43 PM
Veteran

I finally got my hands on a Rii N7. The only place I could find was eBay and it took a month to arrive. It's the RF model, not Bluetooth, and the dongle is hidden under the battery cover on the back. It's pretty much perfect for my needs, that is occasional use and handy storage on the side table. The mouse pad works well when 'Enhance Pointer Precision' is turned in the Win7 mouse options. I wouldn't want to do extended data entry with it but having the mouse pad in the middle makes "typing" easier than having it on the edge. The MCE remote still works better for full screen media applications.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I noticed that Canada Computers has the Azio Mini Thumb Keyboard w/ Built-in Trackball Mouse (KB178RT) on sale this week (ending today). The reviews I have read so far have been good and I would have picked it up already, but the store nearest me is sold out . The transmitter looks really small and may fit on one of my front USB ports with the cover closed, which would be good (it apparently has great range, but it is always better not to have the computer case between you and the receiver).

Will try and head into town today.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in