HTPC to Receiver always shows PCM on receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

HTPC to Receiver always shows PCM on receiver

Hello All,

I have a radeon 6450 video card in my htpc which supports 7.1 hd audio bitstreaming and a pioneer 1021 receiver (also supports the above)

i setup FFDShow to passthrough all formats and turned off connect as PCM first (also left it on)

when the receiver is playing sound it always shows as PCM. how do i tell if its passing the right signal through??

why is it not showing as DTS/ DTS HD etc..

im on windows xp .

any input is welcome. thanks!

EDIT

when i look at the FFDshow icon it shows PCM as the output. how do i change this to bitstream even though every setting in FFD seems to show that it should be outputting bitstream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 11:47 AM
Veteran

A couple of pieces of info are missing. Is the source Dolby Digital? If not then there is no DD to pass through and it will show up as PCM. Is Dolby Digital enabled in the application? Some movie players, notably those supplied with DVD players, do not support DD. In others, DD must be enabled for it to work correctly.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

sorry the source is a 1080i Dobly HD count down sample playing it through Media portal. I set media portal to use FFDShow

FFDShow shows input as Dobly HD 5.1 48,000 48xx bps but the output shows PCM 5.1 16bit...

im guessing i just dont have a setting right.

other options im reading online is try LAV audio instead of FFDShow.

thanks for the help.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

no one has had a similar issue?

I notices the # of speakers output matches what I put in audio proporties under speaker. how do I bypass this?

the reason being is if I have a 2 channel source the receiver still shows 5.1 so I cannot aaply DD effects to it. even though I have ffmpeg set to use input settings
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

so i found my own answer. apparently with windows xp it is near impossible to bitstream codecs.

windows vista/xp introduced a new audio system that allows you to bitstream audio directly and bypass the main windows mixer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

LUCKY!!

so i got lucky at the Source today and found a new pci network card thats windows 7 compatible for 1.18 after taxes!!!

sooo now im setup in windows 7 and its running great! bitstreaming is working !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 11:27 AM
Veteran

It is possible to do DD and DTS audio pass streaming with XP. It's just a little more difficult. The limitation may be with Blu-ray uncompressed formats. There are 3 possible points of failure. All 3 must be configured correctly. Those are audio driver, codec and application configuration. In any event, Win7 is much more stable for HTPC use. I've had much better luck with it than WinXP.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

would you share how? i researched for hours trying to find a way!

all i ever got out of the pc was pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in