WD TV Live vs Live Plus - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

WD TV Live vs Live Plus

Forgive this, as this is not my strength.

However, from everything I can tell, the modern WD TV Live is superior to WD TV Plus, and also comes with built in Wifi yes ?

I ask because I am fed up with Serviio, TVersity and Allshare, trying to rig things up through my Blu Ray and 360; figure it's easier to get a whole other box dedicated strictly to media related items ie pulling files off my PC and using online svcs such as Netflix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 08:15 PM

WDTVlive requires either usb wireless stick or can be wired to router for network.
WDTVlive + has built in wireless for connecting to router.

Other than that they both do pretty well much the same.

I use the Live with a wired connection, only because it was faster to transfer files.

Wireless is quite fast enough for streaming movies etc

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 08:59 AM
Member #1

You may also wish to consider the WDTV Live Hub which includes WiFi and has a 1TB built-in hard drive. I have it and the whole family loves it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Now I am confused

on the WD site it says WD TV Live (not the plus version) has built in Wifi ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Have a look at this Wikipedia article for Western Digital's crazy naming conventions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 02:36 PM
Member #1

See this sticky thread http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=114131 for lots more information and links

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 04:59 PM

From their features download. Apears the latest offering of the WDTV Live includes Wifi

The WD TV Live Streaming Media Player is our newest player. It was released in late 2011. With the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, we have included many of the same fan-requested features that were on the WD TV Live Hub such as customizable themes, a larger remote control, and the ability to get content info from the internet. Also, like the WD TV Live Plus and WD TV Live Hub, the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player is capable of playing DRM protected services. Unlike the WD TV Live, WD TV Live Plus and WD TV Live Hub, the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player includes a built-in wireless adapter. The WD TV Live Streaming Media Player was also the first WD TV model to include the Spotify service.

The WD TV Live Hub Media Center was released in late 2010. It includes an internal hard drive. With the WD TV Live Hub, we have also included fan-requested features such as customizable themes, a larger remote control, the ability to get content info from the internet, and a built-in power button. Like the WD TV Live Plus and the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, the WD TV Live Hub is capable of playing DRM protected services. Also like the WD TV Live and the WD TV Live Plus, the WD TV Live Hub can make use of a compatible wireless adapter to connect to a wireless network.

The WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player was released in early 2010, designed in large part based on feedback in our community forums. The WD TV Live Plus player includes all of the features of the WD TV Live HD Media Player with included support for DRM protected services (Blockbuster and Netflix in the United States) and other minor additions. The WD TV Live Plus uses the same list of compatible wireless adapter available to the WD TV Live.

The WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player was our original network accessible media player. This drive was released in 2009, and included the ability to access a SAMBA network location, play files from a media server on your network, or access files on a directly attached hard drive. It also included the ability to connect a compatible wireless adapter to the device to access your network directly.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
You may also wish to consider the WDTV Live Hub which includes WiFi and has a 1TB built-in hard drive. I have it and the whole family loves it.
Hugh, the Live Hub doesn't include wifi. It requires a separate wifi adapter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 08:47 PM
AFF

It is really sad that these newer units don't view moviesheets yet. I guess I will stick to the older units.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 10:38 AM

@AFF:
"It is really sad that these newer units don't view moviesheets yet. I guess I will stick to the older units."
The Live Hub and the new Live Streaming Media Player create/scrape network metadata that displays movie posters and description text from TMDB.com, as well as a couple of screenshots.

Maybe that's what some other players call "moviesheets"?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
See this sticky thread http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=114131 for lots more information and links
Wrong thread, Hugh. The latest incarnation, "WDTV Live Streaming Media Player", has its own thread here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149536
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 11:00 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Hugh, the Live Hub doesn't include wifi. It requires a separate wifi adapter.
Blush. My mistake. Still love the WDTV Hub though

Quote:
Wrong thread, Hugh.
Wow, I am screwing up big time. My double apologies

I'm just signing off from this thread since I don't want to be 3 strikes and your out.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 07:41 PM

No worries.

I still love the Hub as well... even though (or perhaps because of?) using it with powerline networking instead of wifi.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

So does WD TV's main interface have like Netflix and Hulu and what not ?

What I am getting at is, if I go the Unblockus route, do I need anything to run on my pc to "push" that stuff to the WD ?

Or do I merely need to change the DNS for the WD to hide behind a US DNS and the WD has the app interface there and I can access directly from the WD box ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in