Need some help for creating online streaming playlists/channels. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Need some help for creating online streaming playlists/channels.

I cancelled my cable a year ago and have been using netflix and online sources for tv viewing. It has been a great experience but I am stumped in trying to set up a way to access more content with ease that my wife and children could use with a simple remote.

Ill elaborate on my idea.

Basicly I want to eliminate the need to go to say ctv.com and than go to the video section find the show i want to watch press play than go to full screen mode.

Is there any way I could subsribe to all the shows I want access to using RSS and have a program that would just load up all my feeds in windows media center or some other 10'UI that would allow me to just point and click on said feed and have the video play at full screen or make it full screen with the touch of a button.

The idea being I could spend an hour loading up all the feeds I want into some player and from the couch just use the remote to click on whichever show I would like to watch. Then the list would be constantly updating itself and make for a rather simple interface for wife and children to use.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 02:57 PM
Veteran

My recommendation is to subscribe to unblockus so that you appear to be in the US. Then rerun the setup for Win Media Center and tell it that you are in the US. This isn't easy to do by the way - here is one way to do it that I found on Google: (you essentially have to remove Win MC from your Windows install)
Code:
Here's the sequence of steps which solved the problem for me:

1. Remove all media related windows components (add\remove windows components)

2. Renaming all the registry keys which had Media center in them (never delete a registry key)

3. Change the location. In the region and languages.

4. in the same pane CHANGE THE DEFAULT LOCATION (small hyperlink and the bottom) and add a zip code in the US. I didn't add the complete address

5. reboot

6. Add media center (add\remove windows components)

7. Media center -> Settings -> automatic download options -> downoad now

8. Wait 10 minutes (have dinner :-) )

9. get back to media center and see a brand new internet TV tile under TV
Then you will have access to pretty much all content from the US TV network websites in Win Media Center plus you will also have Netflix - US Netflix which has more content.. It will look something like this:

You can also set up Hulu desktop which doesn't go through Media Center but it integrates pretty nicely http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10613...-in-windows-7/

When it comes to Media Center MS seems to hate Canada with a passion. They have Internet TV available for the US and UK but not Canada and they refuse to allow OTA tuners for Canadians (without a hack that is). I also believe that the Netflix WinMC plugin doesn't work for Netflix Canada. All of these are unlikely to change as MS is moving their emphasis from MC to Xbox - you can no get Canadian TV content on Xbox but not MC.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

ya i just spent an hour trying to get netflix app working on media center here and nothing. Just a giant waste of time.

How do I get canadian tv content on xbox. The last time I checked it just had netflix app rogers on demand msn. Thats about it.

Thanks for the help

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

this is becoming a far more diificult process than I thought it would be.

Im really feeling dissapointed that questionable means of doing what I want with broadcatching through torrents is a far easier way to acheive what I am after.

Kind of sad really.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky204 View Post
How do I get canadian tv content on xbox. The last time I checked it just had netflix app rogers on demand msn. Thats about it.
There's not much - this just came about when the new Xbox update came out in December or so. They are adding a few additional sources but it is still pretty weak. For the Rogers stuff you probably need to be a Rogers customer to get most of the stuff.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

ya i had a quick glance at the offerings on xbox right now. Its pretty weak.

I really wish there was an easier way around this.

I would love to have a simple layout where I just add in the websites/feeds for the shows listed on say showtime.ca or ctv.ca.

Once i have the list compiled just click on said link/channel and have access to the videos available on site.

Right now the only method I can use is using rss to keep a list of channels. I still have to open the browser click on my feeds button than once the video starts playing click on fullscreen.

Wish there was a way to just do this with a remote. I did find an interesting browser called kylo. Has been the best one to meet my needs so far. The remote use is very buggy though and when I click on a video it will play but i lose the ability to move the cursor around.

I might just look into getting a cheap itouch or some other smartphone and install a GMOTE app on it and use that as the remote controll.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Why not try what I suggested? If you make it look like you are in the US then you have access to WAY more online content. It does cost $5 per month for unblockus but that is well worth it as it allows you to use Hulu which is kind of what you are looking for in the first place.

Here is an easy way to try things out:
Get a trial version of Unblockus which is free - change the DNS on your PC in your network settings rather than on your router. This means that only this PC will work for Unblockus and you can switch back by changing your DNS back to its original setting.
Sign up for an account at Hulu (I don't think you need any US payment info for this) - Hulu is free whereas Hulu+ costs money. Hulu is a TV aggregator.
Install Hulu Desktop.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

ok so I installed the HULU desktop and used Unblock-us and its working great. I love it. My only problem is trying to find a way to get netflix to work with a 10' UI.

I have access to the netflix app in my vista media center. I can browse all the movies have no problem untill I try to actually watch the streaming title I chose. It just gives me the actual website and I have to use keyboard and mouse at that point to play anything. Defeats the purpose of using Media Center.

I would love to get this working. I can not reinstall windows media center the way you mentioned in previous posts.

I am just not adept enough for changing registry keys or removing window components. Not sure how to do that and would require a guide for dummies to be able to attempt something like that. I think the only other option would be a complete reinstall of vista if everything I have read on the topic is correct.

Is there any other 10' UIs that incorperate netflix and hulu with use of MCE remote.

thanks.

Last edited by sparky204; 2012-01-08 at 12:03 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I think I have found a way to implement everything with use of the remote.

I will install hulu desktop plugin to media center.

I will than install Kylo browser with media center plug in as well.

Then I can access netflix via Kylo using the MCE remote and have access to Hulu desktop through Windows media center as well.

Lastly I will have to find some form of torrent program to fill in the gaps with some broad catching. I can then access the downloaded content from MCE.

Lastly I will add my magic jack to my HTPC. I found a link to a way to make it run as a windows service and stop it from popping up everytime i receive a call.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

I created another thread on the topic but well browsing through all of this I realized how easy it would be to essetinally make a little tiny dock behind a wall mounted tv that connected my android smartphone to it.

The whole OS is accessible through the hdmi output and it supports 1080p. It would essentially turn my hdtv into the smartest of smart tvs with all the available android apps.

I have connected it to my hdtv before and as a 10' UI it would actually work quite well. Just thought I would share that in this thread as well.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 10:13 AM

Just go to watchseries-online.eu you don't need unblock-us and it has just about every show on tv. Shows are posted within minutes after airing. Use the divxden or putlocker links, they are the best ones.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky204 View Post
I created another thread on the topic but well browsing through all of this I realized how easy it would be to essetinally make a little tiny dock behind a wall mounted tv that connected my android smartphone to it.

The whole OS is accessible through the hdmi output and it supports 1080p. It would essentially turn my hdtv into the smartest of smart tvs with all the available android apps.

I have connected it to my hdtv before and as a 10' UI it would actually work quite well. Just thought I would share that in this thread as well.
sparky, I do the same thing with my blackberry playbook! We actually watched the world juniors streemed from tsn to my playbook, hdmi to plasma, quality was awsome! That's right i'm canadian so if you want to watch sports you have to pay $200 month! Well that's what they think. I watch NFL in HD OTA and streem every Flyers game! As you can tell, I HATE BELL!!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-05-02, 02:26 PM
Rookie

I hear you, our family had the same problem. Netflix is pretty good IMHO, and then Streaming Guide offers an easy-enough browser based interface for all online TV in Canada.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-05-02, 02:39 PM

You need a U.S. netfix account for Netflix to work within WMC. I use entropay to pay for my U.S. netflix. You'll need to uninstall both Netflix plugin and Silverlight plus delete all cookies and history in internet explorer to get the Netflix plugin to work once you reinstall it.

As for other programming, get XBMC. You can also get a launcher for WMC. Launch XBMC from within WMC, go to Videos, add-ons and you can get everything you want, Food, HGTV, DIY, PBS, A&E all the main networks and more. You need to add the Bluecop repository and add "Free Cable"

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101938

http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/

A little googling and you'll figure it out quickly. My wife has no trouble navigating to any show on a specialty channel with the remte control.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2012-05-02, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Tremendous thread! You guys are inspiring me to continue to use my HTPC. I was going to shut it down in favor of DLNA server streaming to xbox / ps3. Need to try out some of these suggestions.

**EDIT** One other thing, do you really need a U.S Netflix account for the Netflix media center app to work? (assuming you have unblock-us) That used to be the case for Xbox, but I was recently able to confirm that xbox now works. About a year ago I was able to use my Capital One Canadian CC to pay for U.S Netflix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in