Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Media Portal - EPG

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  OTAJuncqui 
#1 ·
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this to populate.

setup

Main PC running media portal tv server

HTPC running media portal

i can watch tv from the tuner card in main pc on the HTPC but get no guide data even though i selected grab epg data

i tried to set up WEBepg but i cannot find the webepg-conf. exe all the guides talk about.

anyone got any knowledge to help me out?

#2 ·
working!

soo i got it working finally!

Not very straight forward but the results are amazing!

first i had to create a batch file to run a program called zap2xml to create a tvguide.xml file and move that file to the right location so that the xmltv plugin within media portal can generate the guide.

Once i had that working i had to schedule a task in windows task scheduler to run the bat every day to update the tvguide.xml file

xmltv is then supposed to detect the new tvguide.xml file and replace it (havent checked this yet)

The set up seems to be worth the effort though!

Now i have the server running on the main pc upstairs with full control with epg on my main pc and my laptop (albeit the laptop stutters as its wireless g)

Now i can say i truly have a fully functioning htpc!

#3 ·
Thanks for updating this. Might be useful for someone in the future who encounters the same problem!

#4 ·
There may be a file in MP called something like "UpdateEPG.bat" where you put the script of your zap2it.bat. Then MP will run it at the time you want and re-populate the guide. That's how npvr works. And keep the zap2it executable in the same folder so you don't need the full path.

I use mc2xml which is similiar, do you get icons (like HD,16:9,new,dolby and CC) and or any graphic metadata(pics)?

#5 ·
not sure about the meta data or that bat. will look for it when i get home tonight.

ive read about mc2xml and read its not compatible with zap2it.

Titiantv is but i cannot for the life of me add global toronto to the listing with accuracy (the guide data is wrong alot of the times useing CIII paris global listing)

#6 ·
Hi Red,
I did some poking around the MP wiki and here's the section on EPG loading:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tion/TV-Server_Configuration/13_Plugins/XmlTv

I gave zap2it a try and saw indicators for HDTV and 16:9 but I didn't see any plot synopsis or cast data.

I suggest you try mc2xml it's very similar to zap (I think it's the same guy):
http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/
after you get it running you can fine tune it to dnld only the channels you need and also I'm in Ottawa but I use the 13669 zip. For some reason the HD and picture ratio is/was not provided using Ot. location. So use a US zip.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. The page scanning method breaks occasionally due to changes in web page format. Sites like Zap2It don't like this method since it generates a lot of extra traffic. BTW, Zap2It once provided free guide data but discontinued the service due to abuse by commercial software vendors.

From the OP, I thought you were trying to populate the guide from the PSIP data. That is the preferred method but does not work correctly with some channels.

The other option is to use the Schedules Direct plugin. That requires a subscription to Schedules Direct but it's not too expensive. It's essentially the same data as Zap2It but is officially sanctioned by Tribune Media, the service provider.

#8 ·
I use mc2xml to scrape my Schedules Direct acct. Although NextPVR accepts SD in it's config I get more data using mc2xml.bat:

mc2xml -T user:SDpass -a -A -d 336 -D mc2xml.dat -C shedchn.chl -o SHED.xml

-T >directs mc2xml to schedules direct
-a >live
-A >new episode (or these two a's are reversed)
-d > # of days in hours
-D > dat file(created on first run it sets your location and source- terrestial or cable provider)
-C > file containing only the channels I want listings for
-o > defines output file name

all this is explained on the mc2xml web page

#9 ·
$25 us a year for guide data is $25 i cant put twords say more tv tuners lol.

ill take a look at exactly what data i get but names of shows is ususaly all im after all those extras to me are just that. extra maybe down teh road when everything is running great

#10 ·
You don't have to scape a schedules direct acct. mc2xml uses the "microsoft legacy" info from zap2it. you pay nothing if you wish.
New episode (*) is great for recordind only new shows or a complete season.

If you dnld mc2xml, create a folder on your destop and put it in it. then double-click it and the rest is self explainitory. And with it in this folder you can see what files it creates i.e. mc2xml.dat and mc2xml.xml .

#11 ·
so the sap2xml is jsut the names of the shows. no new show flags.

trying to use mc2xml but need to setup mce proporly

its all a bit difficult as my tv tuner is not friendly. it likes to stop working everyonce in a while. and i need a preamp i think as the us channels come and go some days.

#12 ·
Your tuner and signal quality have nothing to do with creating a tvguide.xml file. If you use a US zip you're just getting listing info from the states that you can select from to fill your guide. Again, work with mc2xml in a folder and view the *.xml file ( using right click on the xml file "edit") select "notepad" as the app to use.

#14 ·
I got my logos by a) going to the stations wiki page b) google image search. Some logos have dark backgrounds and didn't display nicely in Nextpvr. I noticed while looking in the zap2it files there is a folder of logos (called "icons") all of which had white borders you could use those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.