Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-04, 12:40 PM

I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while. If I don't, it's painfully slow to browse the network shares and gives me a low memory error and won't play videos.

My neighbour has one on her 25Mbit internet service and is often complaining that her Netflix stops working. Netflix will stop playing a video in the middle and give an error saying something about the stream not being available. I've tested it here, seems to work fine so I've suggested she call Shaw and have her service checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-04, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while.
Same. I actually put the most used WDTV we have on a Wemo plug switch so I can just cycle it's power every 24 hours OR manually pop it off when it crashes. I use it for slingplayer and when the WDTV crashes, I can't power it off with the remote. Have to get up and unplug it. Wemo solved that. :-D
post #108 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-06, 06:19 PM

OK good. So I am not the only one that pulls the power on regular intervals.

About once every two weeks.

post #109 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-06, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I do the same with mine.

Last edited by 57; 2014-11-06 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #110 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-07, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodaddy View Post
I do the same with mine.
I assume you mean unplug it? Have you found unplugging it resolves issues with Netflix cutting out or is that purely an internet problem? My neighbour will be able to go a couple of weeks without any issues, then all of a sudden half way through a movie it'll lose the stream and bounce her back to the title selection screen, where she's unable to play another video until rebooting the device.
post #111 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-07, 08:24 AM

99.99% of the time it is the WD memory leak issue. The new youtube app is the worst. I can watch 1 maybe 2 then BAM! reboot.

It's because these issues I've ordered a Nexus Player.
post #112 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-07, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I assume you mean unplug it? Have you found unplugging it resolves issues with Netflix cutting out or is that purely an internet problem? My neighbour will be able to go a couple of weeks without any issues, then all of a sudden half way through a movie it'll lose the stream and bounce her back to the title selection screen, where she's unable to play another video until rebooting the device.
Yes, I reboot mine too often. Will have to take a look at the Nexus player.
post #113 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-08, 02:53 PM

Toon Goggles locks mine up. Every. Single. Time.

OK I just retried TG (thinking it just needed more time to load) and it just sits there with the logo on the screen. At least I was able to back out to the main screen.
post #114 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-08, 06:37 PM

My neighbour called me again last night because her Netflix was wonky.

The coax splitter is attached directly to the wallplate, with the wallplate sandwiched between the splitter input and coax feed connector which was somewhat loose.

I tightened it up with a spanner and put it back in the wall. Hopefully this solves some of her problems. She's 70 and getting frustrated.
post #115 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 09:51 AM

I use my WDTV for all my media server needs - I have attached storage and watch movies that way. I use my PS3 for Netflix streaming as I always have found the Netflix client on my WDTV "lacking".
post #116 of 132 (permalink) Old 2014-11-21, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodaddy View Post
Yes, I reboot mine too often. Will have to take a look at the Nexus player.
Quick update. Received the Nexus Player yesterday. Installed Kodi (XBMC), had no issue playing any content from my NAS.

I'll have more to say but not in this thread.
post #117 of 132 (permalink) Old 2015-02-13, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I remember updating mine a little while back and I have noticed that I need to unplug the power once in a while. If I don't, it's painfully slow to browse the network shares and gives me a low memory error and won't play videos.
I downgraded the firmware to 2.01.86 and so far the player seems pretty stable.

Old firmware can be found here: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...er,-wd-tv-live
post #118 of 132 (permalink) Old 2015-02-15, 09:39 AM

Thumbs down

Last week (running the latest firmware) I actually got a message saying the WD TV was critically low on memory and to reboot. This was after sitting idle for a week. I put up with this nonsense but jeez WD this is the official firmware and it has been many months already.
post #119 of 132 (permalink) Old 2015-02-15, 02:08 PM

I've had the memory error too. Usually crops up when browsing network shares. It will be painfully slow browsing directories and responding to the remote, then the error appears.

Roll back the firmware as described above. I believe the memory leak issue was introduced in the latest FW.

I did my neighbour's too, so I'll let you know if her Netflix issues resolve.

One thing to note is that after it installs and does its final reboot, it will hang on a blank screen for ages. After 30 minutes I gave up waiting and cycled the A/C power and it booted right up.
post #120 of 132 (permalink) Old 2015-05-02, 08:46 AM
Rookie

newbie post - configuring WD TVlive 3rd gen with PIA

I have recently signed up for Privacy Internet Access. I have a WD TVLive attached to a Sagemcon 2864 (Fibe connection hub, I have fibe internet and IPTV using FTTN). I also have a ATV3 connected to the Sagemcon via a switch which also has a number of other items connected to it like a blu ray player.
I am looking for the best way of configuring either the ATV3 or WD TVLive to switch from Canadian to US Netflix and to access Hulu.
A number of threads here suggest changing the DNS servers on the Sagemcon to ones offered by PIA. However, others suggest that this will not work......so I am a bit confused.
I have configured my computer system (Win7HomePro 64bit, ethernet attached to the Sagemcom) and have successfully used PIA to mask my IP address when downloading torrents using uTorrent.
Anyone out there using PIA to mask their IP address and successfully accessed US Netflix or Hulu? If you have, can you provide me with some instructions for configuring either the ATV3 or the WD TVLive.

many thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in