NPVR and OTA transition
The day is upon us with the OTA digital transition. I was looking forward to exactly two new HD stations: global and CTV in ottawa. Unfortunately due to issues discussed on other threads here both these stations have issues (ie PSIP, etc) with WMC 7. NPVR has turned into a testing platform for me these days as it is able to simply scan all available channels and map guide information as needed....minus some of the nice animations, etc.
Here is what I like about NPVR:
1. it picks up all the OTA content in my area.
2. you can map multiple XML guide data. Ie. I can create XML guide data according to zap2it listings similar to WMC with PNEAR's hack. However, I am able to assign listing data from different XML files to the individual channel. Right now I map CJOH, SUNTV and CTS from Rogers Digital Lineup in ottawa. I map the rest with the 13662 zip code OTA listings. Pnear's hack can do the same, but I could never manage to get 28.1 and 28.2 along with WCFE to list correctly thanks to issues with WMC and the inability to map from 2 zip codes.
3. you can stream live feeds to other computers
4. It records programs in .ts format which is supported by xbmc, etc. I rename the program with season and episode and I have a nice archive with xbmc for playback...no annoying wtv container. Each program goes in its own folder.
What I don't like:
1. The UI is not very pretty. The guide does not indicate HD content (even though the data is there). The transition animations in WMC are nicer. The context menu has no option to bring up the guide while watching a live feed.
2. WMC integrates better with other computers in my homegroup for recorded TV.
A combination of the two would be the perfect system...especially integrating the guide/channel scanning system of npvr with the UI/integration of wmc.