MakeMKV software - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's a E8400 dual core proc, 8GB of ram and a brand spanking new AMD 6950. I haven't looked into the AMD transcode software, Avivo I think? I should and see if it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:24 PM
Veteran

Do any of the encoding software packages mentioned support the QuickSync feature of Intel's latest SandyBridge CPUs. That is the feature where the on-board GPU can help to do the video encoding.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No, I looked into it today. Oddly I can't really find any good reviews for Quick Sync and specifically I was looking at Badaboom 2.0 but yeah...nothing.

Considering upgrading my PC. This system has served me well and I was going to give it another year or 2 as it has been rock solid but I can upgrade to a X68 board, i7-2600 and 16GB ram for around $700. Already have an AMD 6950 and a Vertex 3 so I wouldn't really need any other components......very tempting.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:20 PM
Veteran

It is strange that most of the discussions of QuickSync are about 6 months old or so - there seem to be very few reviews since the Sandy Bridge chips started to ship in volume.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-07-12, 01:05 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Option: second dedicated PC for MakeMKV and other tools

dezzpayne if you are considering upgrading your PC and you can afford it my suggestion is that you keep the one you've got as your desktop video editor frontend machine and buy/build a second PC with Blu-ray drive that is your backend machine dedicated to doing the media conversion stuff you want, such as MakeMKV and similar tools already mentioned in this thread.

I'm sure all the tools to do this are available on Windows but unfortunately for power users not all the extraneous OS stuff can be shut off so CPU cycles are often wasted on non-essential tasks, not to mention that the best of the Windows OS versions for this sort of task (Windows Server) are not cheap for consumers. Depending on your personal comfort level with it, I recommend Linux since you can easily build a stripped-down, hot rodded, lean, mean, video-processing machine that does not even require you to have a GUI if you want to really make things fly. We can help anyone set that up, but there are tons of great HOWTOs on the web. I have not tried using Mac OS X in this sort of "backend" role so hopefully someone knows if it might be suitable.

I'm not bringing this up as any sort of Windows vs. Linux vs OS X topic, everyone, so don't even go there!

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Funny story, 2 weeks later my "rock solid" PC hit a rock and sunk like the Titanic. Long story short it looks like the processor and Core 2 processors are still sadly expensive so I was "forced" to upgrade.

New PC is

Intel i7 2600k
Asus P67 Pro (saw no value in the Z68 platform)
AMD 6950
8GB G.Skill 1600 ram
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

I used the auto-tune overclocking function of the Asus software today and found a not yet to be determined stable overclock of 4900mhz. That's roughly a 48% OC over stock speeds. CPU temp is 71 degrees with a water cooler. Hmm that's a bit toasty. I tried it with the default thermal paste. May need to remove it and try some Arctic Silver.

Anyway, ran Handbrake to once again compress a decrypted BR. With the old rig it was 8-9 hours on average. The new one finished in roughly 1.5 hours. Haven't tried yet at stock speed. Will do so later. Certainly can't run at 70 degrees+ for a prolonged time. Also have not tried Quicksync. Will also give that a go once I have some time.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 12:04 AM

I've been playing around with some transcodes on my new SandyBridge i5-2405S machine (Quad core, low power).

Original Video - 1:50 minutes 1080p, 25GB

Convert to iPad using the built-in iPad profile for each app:
Cyberlink Mediaespresso (uses QuickSync) - 15 minutes
Arcsoft Mediaconverter (uses QuickSync) - 20 minutes
Freemake (uses DXVA) - 105 minutes
Handbrake (software transcode) - 155 minutes

I'm impressed by QuickSync. Most of the negative reviews are done by purists looking for pristine video quality. Personally, the video quality difference from QuickSync is not something that I'm likely to notice, especially given that my main use case is to convert video I own for use on a mobile device.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 10:32 AM
Veteran

@pnear - have you tried DVRMS Toolbox which is written by babgvant. The latest version supports Quick Sync and it is free. I wonder why more software encoders haven't begun supporting QuickSync as the Sandy Bridge CPUs have been out for over six months now. When you Google "Quick Sync" the bulk of the review are from the first few days of January 2011. It seems that this technology is being ignored and/or forgotten.

Any advice on whether you prefer Mediaespresso or Mediaconverter? Do any (or both) of them support a Command Line Interface so that you can kcik off encodes from a batch file.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 11:39 AM

I prefer Mediaconverter.

Mediaespresso doesn't do DTS audio (just drops it and you get an audio-free converted file).

Mediaconverter can be set to monitor a folder and kick off a conversion. I think it has a CLI but I haven't tested that.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 12:19 PM
Veteran

I tried downloading them both last night. To be honest I am not crazy about either of them as they really seem to be "dumbed down" and try to make everything as easy as possible but this makes it hard to change the settings.

Although both applications said that they were using Quick Sync I got wildly varying times. For a file that took 37 minutes on Handbrake I was able to do the same encode in 16 minutes on Mediaconverter but it took over 40 minutes on Mediespresso which makes no sense. I was using the iPad profile for both.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-24, 01:21 AM

hey guys,

I am new to blu ray ripping. I have all my dvd's ripped and converted to m4v so I can play all on iphone, ipad, ps3 and wmc. I now want to start ripping all my blu rays.

I have always used dvdfad to decrypt, then handbrake to convert.

with clownbd do I still need to decrypt? clownbd is not opening the blu ray from the drive, but is working with a already decrypted file.

I convert with clownbd to a ts file and then use handbrake?

anyway to cut down on the process?

I also tried dvdfab and handbrake but the m4v would not play.

Thanks
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

You need to have Anydvd running in the background to decrypt. Then run Clown and rip it (I use TS folders and leave the audio untouched). Then you can use Handbrake. Using the "High Profile" preset I get anywhere from a 2GB MKV for some animated titles right up to 12GB. Personally in Handbrake if I leave the audio default codec of AAC FAAC I just end up with stereo. I have to choose AC3 passthrough. Not lossless but am getting 5.1.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-26, 01:07 AM

thanks for the help, it is working. guess i need to purchase anydvd.

thanks
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 12:21 AM

well the clownbd part went well, the handbrake not so.

i am ripping avatar, and started last night. i opened the ts file, and selected high profile as I have done with all my dvd's. still has 9 hours to go, 2.1 frames per second.

i will post my settings later, pc is new as of november.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

My old PC was doing just 2-3 frames per second as well. Is your new PC an i7?

Tags
blu-ray , clown , handbrake , makemkv , ripping , transcoding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in