HTPC Builds with Sandy Bridge Processor - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 04:29 PM
Veteran

The only case in that list that really is the size that I am looking for is the Morex T160. I don't know why we don't seem more really small cases since the capabilities of the integrated GPU on Sandy Bridge are really quite good and the processors don't need a gigantic heatsink.

Why do you need a case bigger than a couple of litres when you all you want inside it is a mini-ITX board with a Sandy Bridge i3 2100 with a small heatsink and an SSD? With a properly configured case you could have the fan blow right onto the heatsink - kind of like the Antec ISK-100 but it seems to have some other issues which are noted in the SPCR review of the case. And this would make a great HTPC playback client and Netflix/Hulu client.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 07:33 AM

So Hugh ... status update

Is it built and running?
Power comsumption?
Noise?
Does it do everything you need (and more)?
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-30, 10:50 AM

Gigabyte is using a hybrid BIOS.

Hybrid EFI Technology combines the benefits of GIGABYTE's mature BIOS platform including stability and compatibility with 3rd party products with 3TB+ HDD support from EFI technology, allowing GIGABYTE to offer the best of both worlds through a quick and easy BIOS update using GIGABYTE's @BIOS utility that is freely available from the GIGABYTE website.

Main part is still good old BIOS.EFI is used mostly for 3TB+ HD handling.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3698#ov

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Why do you need a case bigger than a couple of litres when you all you want inside it is a mini-ITX board with a Sandy Bridge i3 2100 with a small heatsink and an SSD?
I started out that way, using an AsRock HT, small form factor, squeezed in 1x 64GB SSD (boot) + 1x 650GB hdd (OTA pvr storage).

Later I wasn't getting great transfer speeds from my NAS (Dlink-323), so I decide to consolidate the two, and got an i3 and m-atx case. I currently have 1x64GB (boot), 1x640GB (pvr), 2x1.5TB('nas' storage). Drives spin down when not in use.

So far, so good, and I already have a suitable system to inherit the i3 + MB in 6-12 months if/when i replace them with a low watt sandy bridge + MB.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
So Hugh ... status update

Is it built and running?
Power comsumption?
Noise?
Does it do everything you need (and more)?
So far I am very disappointed.

The fan and case is very loud. I simply refuse to put it in my family room or home theatre. Second, getting Bluetooth to work has been a nightmare. I had the keyboard working then it stopped and now I am at a standstill.

I have had codec issues and so on.

Sad to say but so far this is very much a work in progress

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 12:12 AM

A little off topic but I've been using an iPhone app to control my HTPC called RemoteX that I find works very well, you can even power up your HTPC with it. I barely use my keyboard and mouse anymore.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I use remote HD and Wake. I don't see how an app can power up your pc? certainly it can wake it up from sleep mode.

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 07:46 AM

Try chaning the case fans to a low rpm version. There are many 800/100o rpm fans that are virually silent.

I have tried blue tooth in the past and find that you always need to reconnect them. I and currently using the Logitech AirMouse and MS Arc keyboard ... great combo for me with the Logitech One remote.

I usually use VLC for playing any downloaded stuff. Has played everything I have thrown at it so far.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 08:33 PM

Well it does, I usually start my PC a few minutes before I go to watch a movie so we don't have to wait for it to load. You also have to install their server so that so that might have something to do with it but like I said it works great. I actually just typed this post with the app.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I am now using Wake, Remote HD, Boxee and VLC iOS apps for controlling much of the PC since my Bluetooth has been a failure. I also moved the HTPC into the room behind my projector so their is no noise.

I tried connecting the PC to my 4x2 matrix so it could service my family room and home theatre but it simply refused to work.

I've ended up buying a WDTVLive Hub for my family room and the HTPC is used for the Home Theatre. If I don't use it much, I might just convert the HTPC into a desktop for the kids.

Time will tell.

post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-05-12, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Has anyone been able to get Sandy Bridge working under Linux with MythTV (including on-board video acceleration)?

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 08:40 PM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
I have had a couple of days of character building/issues getting WMC going with my 2250 tuner, but now that it is setup the way I want it, and after watching some live tv and recorded stuff, I am quite impressed with this Sandy Bridge set and the HD graphics.
I still have much more to learn and tweak to get it optimal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in