HTPC Builds with Sandy Bridge Processor - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 11:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Gigabyte is still using BIOS for the time being.
There is no such thing as a LGA 1155 motherboard that isn't UEFI. On the whole, UEFI is a good thing; it's better than the technology that preceded it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 12:14 PM

I have an Asus P67 board with UEFI. I agree, it's great!

But Gigabyte boards are still using BIOS: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...dge_P67/8.html

They're going to be releasing UEFI updates for thier *67 boards at a later time.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Guys we know that it can be done in BIOS. The problem is UEFI. Please stay on topic.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 12:30 PM
Veteran

I have a new PC with an Asus P8H67-M EVO Rev 3.0 and it boots up without showing a BIOS splash screen. I take it that is because of UEFI? I wasn't even aware that this used uEFI but I guess that explains why the BIOS screens look much more user friendly rather than the old DOS-like BIOS screens we have all come to know and love.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have an Asus P67 board with UEFI. I agree, it's great!

But Gigabyte boards are still using BIOS: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...dge_P67/8.html

They're going to be releasing UEFI updates for thier *67 boards at a later time.
The current Sandy Bridge Gigabyte boards are still using UEFI because that is the only option when using intel's P67 and H67 chipsets. Just because Gigabyte used a UEFI shell that looks like their older BIOS user interface doesn't mean that it's not UEFI underneath.

One of the key tests of UEFI vs a BIOS is to see if it can boot from a 3TB drive. If so, then it's not a traditional BIOS.

As far as hugh's problem goes, if he wants his system to behave like his previous HTPC, he'll just have to hope for new features to be added via firmware updates, or use wake-on-LAN software.

Quote:
I have a new PC with an Asus P8H67-M EVO Rev 3.0 and it boots up without showing a BIOS splash screen.
UEFI doesn't necessarily dictate what the "Setup user interface" looks like on the motherboard. The Gigabyte motherboards are an excellent case in point where they just grafted their old BIOS UI on top of it. Asus was one of the first companies to go with a graphical user interface in their UEFI motherboard, but I've seen a GUI-based setups on much older non-UEFI motherboards in the past.

But yes, your H67-based motherboard does indeed use UEFI.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 03:59 AM

Ok, whatever.

Anyways, look at the link I posted and see the screenhots...

http://i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/184...dge_P67/50.jpg

The board has the option to wake via alarm.

Hugh, we are discussing BIOS. What I'm saying is that the Gigabyte board you've chose should have the option.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 12:48 PM

Where are you buying this if you don't mind (I'm similarly on the market). I'm not much of a build-from-scratch guy though.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

By using my Windows Home Server to store my songs and pointing iTunes to the WHS, I can now put the HTPC on a Power plan that will hibernate the PC.

BUT I still want to shut it down completely and restart so hopefully the UEFI will be updated with that functionality (doubtful but one can hope)

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Decide what components you want and then go to a shop like NCIX or Canada Computers. I have had most of my recent computers built at Canada Computers. For my latest build a few weeks ago I went with NCIX as they had some components that I wanted that CC didn't have - NCIX has just opened stores in the GTA recently. I was very happy - their customer service was excellent at their Scarborough store.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 01:43 PM

Please see the where can I buy forum and retailer reviews for discussing shops.

This thread is about HTPC builds using Sandy Bridge processors.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 02:04 PM

Hugh, did you get the motherboard mentioned at the beginning of the thread? I'm interested in the Dolby Home Theater capabilities.

On my current HTPC, I just discovered that similar capabilities driven by DTS Connect only work when routing audio through the Realtek S/PDIF output. When I switched it to HDMI, the audio all went through the AMD HDMI Audio driver which brought everything back to the standard 2-channel PCM audio or pass-through AC3/DTS.

So the question is... on that new Sandy Bridge board are the Dolby Home Theater capabilities available when audio is connected via HDMI?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Whoops, thought I published what I got.

I ended up with the Asus P8 H67M Pro with B3 revision.

One of the reasons I went Sandy Bridge is that Dolby Digital, TrueHD (up to 7.1), DTS, DTS-HD MA (up to 7.1) can all be bitstreamed over HDMI.

One funny issued I've encountered that is detailed here

Quote:
Just a heads up. Media Player Classic Home Cinema doesn't currently play well with Sandy Bridge. Enabling DXVA acceleration in MPC-HC will cause stuttering and image quality issues during playback. It's an issue with MPC-HC and not properly detecting SNB as far as I know. Intel has reached out to the developer for a fix.
I hadn't seen this before. It took me a long time to fix but found the fix on Codec Guide.

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:26 PM
Veteran

Anyone have any suggestions on a small form factor case to use with a Sandy Bridge with a mini-ITX board? The Antec ISK-100 is about the size I would like but the reviews on this case are not so good.

I am looking for something quite small - this Antec case is 7cm thick, 25cm high and about 22ch deep. A little thicker is fine but I don't want it too big. The only drive I plan on including is an SSD and I will use the integrated GPU.

For Mobo I was going to use a Zotac H67-ITX, Asus P8H67-i or Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:32 PM

I was using this article as a basis for case choices.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page5.html
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I got the Silverstone Grandia HTPC Case which is a recommended case on the link from pnear. Obviously this is not what Wayne is looking for but I quite like it since it's a black horizontal case that will look good in a HT rack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in