XBMC Now Available For AppleTV 2, iPhone, and iPad - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

You don't need iTunes for the jailbreak but the unit may not have the 4.2.1 update. Try that first.

Another thing you'll want to in iTunes is to uncheck the "check for new software updates automatically" after you update your ATV2. You'll find this under.. "Edit> Preferences > General" otherwise iTunes will try to update it when the next firmware comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 09:42 PM

Finally got it to jailbreak on my son's older Toshiba laptop, and even then had to install it twice.
Very fickle program.
But, it's working very well streaming with UPnP settings and PS3 media server.
Play around more with it tomorrow, but impressed so far.
Pretty powerful little machine.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 06:48 PM

I had a bugger of a time getting the ATV2 into DFU mode also. Took many many tries.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-02-18, 02:13 PM

I installed xbmc. Very easy to do. I was concerned that xbmc would replace the polished ATV2 UI, but it doesn't. It adds a NitroTV tab and XBMC tab to the interface.

The "official" xbmc that installs with NitroTV worked alright. Had a few problems like lossing wifi after a reboot, buffering issues when playing mkv's and slow UI. I googled around and found a forum that had nightly builds. Installed a nightly build and it was heads and shoulders better than the "official" release.

The xbmc port for ATV2 has enough functionality and stable enough to send my WDTV LIVE HD to a drawer to start collecting dust. I'm amazed of the all the functionality the xbmc has. I love how you can tinker with xml files to customize it to how you want things presented.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 03:30 PM
Rookie

For those curious about this solution.

It actually impressed me, does a very good job at H.264 encoded MKV's.

Some weaknesses over say a WDTV Live:

1) No MPG2 acceration, so if you're hoping to use an HDHomerun on an HD signal - no can do.
2) BluRay rips buffer every 60 seconds or so for about 5-10 seconds. This is on a Wired Gigabit connection
3) 720P output only.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It actually impressed me, does a very good job at H.264 encoded MKV's.
I was considering one of these for a friend's XBMC setup until I read that it can't handle high bit-rate MKV's (which may also be the reason BluRay rips keep buffering on you). We ended up going with a zotac zbox hd-id11. It was pricier, surprisingly quiet and it plays everything. I still would like to play with an ATV2 one of these days. Since I use a fully-fledged HTPC, I have no need for one, but I do love to tinker!
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 03:46 PM

My ATV2 is stating there is an update available.
Is it OK to proceed with an update on a jailbroken device or will I risk losing XBMC functionality?
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

You'll lose the jailbreak & XBMC, its best to wait till the 4.3 jailbreak comes out before upgrading
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 04:12 PM

Glad I asked.
Thanks Coop.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 08:28 PM

You're gonna want to get rid of that update message. If you don't it'll crash XBMC. It's easy to do, edit /etc/hosts and add 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-16, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habskilla View Post
You're gonna want to get rid of that update message. If you don't it'll crash XBMC. It's easy to do, edit /etc/hosts and add 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
I was just getting on here to post that my XBMC keeps crashing and look for a solution to resolve.
Habskilla, I'm afraid I don't understand how to do what you're suggesting.
Could you possibly expand your explanation?
Do I have to hook the ATV2 up to a computer, or can I do this thru the ATV2 itself?
Thanks.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-16, 03:39 PM

You can open a SSH (secure shell) session on the ATV2 (hostname "apple-tv.local" with username "root" and password "alpine").

On Windows, you can use a client like PuTTY. On a Mac, open a Terminal window and type:
Quote:
At the prompt, enter the following to append the entry to the hosts file:
Quote:
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
To verify the entry was added, enter the following to show the contents of the hosts file:
Quote:
cat /etc/hosts

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-16, 04:38 PM

This info was taken from another site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=748981&postcount=1
This seems to be missed by allot of people and as a result some people are updating to 4.3 to stop XBMC from "crashing"...

SSH into your Apple TV 2 using either Putty if your a Windows user or the Mac/Linux terminal

For Linux/Mac users "ssh [email protected]" when prompted enter the password, probably alpine if you haven't changed it.

Paste the below commands, this adds entries to the hosts file that effectively block updates.

Code:
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts
Alternatively you can manually add the below lines to the /etc/hosts file using nano or vi
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net

Or as outlined by other members you can install a package called updatebegone which does the same as the above, however some report that this doesn't solve the update notice.
Code:
apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone
I did both and the update message is gone.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-03-16, 05:12 PM

If you're on a Mac, just use terminal and SSH into the ATV2.

On another note, I've started to use Plex with my ATV2 instead of XBMC. I find the interface much nicer, not as laggy, and easier to work with. It does have its drawbacks, though. I can't browse a directory the way I can in XBMC, but I've read that so many people are upset that this feature was removed that tehy will be putting it back in again in the next release.

Either way, not having to convert all my videos to MP4 to satisfy ITunes is definitely the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in