Cutting Cable TV Experiment - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 07:12 PM
Rookie

bucketo,

Now that you have had some time to really utilize your setup, I am wondering if you wouldn't mind providing an update. Is there anything you would do differently? Is there anything you are utilizing more than others?

Did you ever end up posting a video of your setup? That would be really helpful for those of us deciding on how to approach cutting the cable and going with an HTPC etc.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey Snowbird and company.

We are bout 10 months in to cutting the cable and we have no plans at all to go back. The big test was with the kick off of fall shows and all went well.

Here's what we have today:

Mac Mini
Eye TV 3 OTA software
HDHomerun OTA dual tuner
CM4221HD up on the roof here in Kanata
Mini keyboard and mini mouse
PS3 (optional in our case)

Here's how the programming breaks down:
* Hulu Plus for ABC, FOX, NBC, CW etc. CBS is not on there. You don't need "Plus" but it does allow you access to the full season for a bunch of shows - instead of just the last 3 and it also allows access from devices such as the ipad and ps3.
* EyeTV (OTA). Used to record anything off CBS as they don't make it easy to consume their shows online. We have access to Global, CTV, CTV2, cityTV so we record anything that originates from CBS and other stuff not on Hulu.
* Netflix. Fills in the entertainment gaps. We'll pick up documentaries on here, lots of tv shows and movies. We have Netflix USA...
* Browser pointed to http://bucketo.ca/tv . I keep a little static webpage as a jump gate to everything else we can consume online

Notes from our experience:
* It can be done and it is fun once you cut the cable cord!!! My wife rocks the Eye TV software like it's nobody's business as she gets around the Hulu Desktop app and Netflix website just fine.
* You may be tempted to look at 3rd party hardware that are not true PCs. So googleTV units, Boxee Box, Apple TV etc. these do cool things but they aren't flexible enough to cover all your streaming angles. My experience is you need a PC, whether that is a macmini or some form of windows-based machine that can handle full screen flash/silverlight streaming with a way to connect it to your TV. You might also be thinking Linux but my experience with my linux machine shows silverlight doesn't play well on there (flash is fine though) and netflix isn't currently supporting linux. So flexibility = a PC of some form tucked away near tv.
* We tried various forms of controls for it and ended up going back to a traditional keyboard and mouse. Both are compact versions. A tip here is to get a KB with a mini directional pad/button on it. Apps like Hulu Desktop etc love to use directional buttons. We went with the Microsoft Arc (model 1392). It has the perfect little directional button on it.
* If your going to depend heavily on Hulu Plus keep in mind they don't have the rights to stream everything to devices. Everything will stream to a PC no problem but certain shows don't allow streaming to xbox, ps3, ipad etc even if you are paying for Hulu Plus...
* If CBS shows are important to you you're going to need OTA to see them from Canadian channels or look at other methods. Since they are the biggest boys in town they don't need the internet at the moment to flip a profit - they've even come out and said that. For us OTA fixed that problem right up.
* We spend 90% of our time on hulu, OTA and Netflix in that order. While I do have the webpage front end it only accounts for 10% - which is my streaming sports etc and some direct link to stations.

We really do love it. We watch a lot of cool stuff. My wife gets to see 99% of the stuff she watched on cable and we fill in any entertainment gaps with netflix (usa). We are finding ourselves watching early seasons of a show on Netflix and then catching up to the current season on Hulu Plus. In my case Parks N Rec, in my wife's case Nikita. A neat example: since cutting cable I stumbled on a streaming show called Live From Daryl's House. It's Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates fame) chilling at his place with musicians playing music and cooking up some food. I most likely would have never stumbled on this but now that we entertain online I found this gem and watch it all the time. It's on Page #2 of my tv portal web page. Very cool stuff. And I can see more and more people moving their talents to the web.

My old camcorder died. Do you think I could get by recording the setup on my iphone? If so I can do it up provided it's not too shaky-cam.
post #93 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 10:48 PM

I too have been free of cable (satellite) since the end of August.

My set up consists of OTA and Netflix USA. I live close to the US border so I have full access to ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, ION, CW as well as CBC and CTV. All in all 30 channels. I too use a Channelmaster 4221 HD on a 3 foot pole wedged into an old satellite J-pipe in a fixed position on my chimney.

I use Windows Home Server 2011 and SageTV with a hauppauge 2250 and 1250 giving a total of 3 OTA tuners. We view recorded shows on a PS3 at each of our 2 TV's fed by PS3 Mediaserver. Netflix USA fills in the gaps quite nicely and we still have more than we have time to watch.

I also watch Revision3 shows via the built in PS3 browser.

I am not a huge sports nut but all I need is fed from OTA sources including the Rugby championships, football, golf and hockey.

DentedMarble.

post #94 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketo View Post
Hey Snowbird and company.

We are bout 10 months in to cutting the cable and we have no plans at all to go back. The big test was with the kick off of fall shows and all went well.
bucketo,

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to see you are still finding the experience to be very positive.

I have been looking into several options over the last few months. So far I have the following already installed:
  • OTA antenna with access to Canadian broadcasts, ABC, FOX, PBS and CBS (most of the time) among others
  • PS3 with access to a PC from which I stream videos from my library as well as access Netflix Canada (this gets a lot of use)

I haven't taken the plunge to cut the cable quite yet but do intend to do so in the very near future once I get some of the details ironed out (i.e. which isp to go with, best way to record OTA, how to get NHL games...go leafs go... etc)

My wife likes her Y&R (CBS) so Hulu isn't going to help me here...I'll have to improve the OTA reception. The kids have been splitting their time between cable tv and netflix. I suspect they would eventually forget about the cable only content and completely move over to Netflix (or do their homework for a change ).

I suppose I could try hulu plus through the PS3 via vpn. I am assuming that is what you have done. That way I can test Netflix, Hulu Plus and OTA prior to deciding to cut the cable.

As an aside, I did a trial vpn for Netflix US and thought the US version actually had less content than the Canadian. Seemed strange to me but I did a comparison and that is exactly what I found. Weird considering everyone here is saying the US version has more content. As an example, my daughter likes iCarly. The Cdn version has several seasons but the US only had the first two (if I remember correctly). There were other examples of this with other shows.

The above still doesn't address recording our shows which would now only be available via OTA. I'm on a tight budget so a used Mac Mini may be an option or I can build a HTPC. I have two other PC's already but one is outdated and the other is strictly for my photo editing.

In terms of providing a video, I would really like to see how slick the system is with the Mac (i.e. PIA factor and WF). Right from turning it on to clicking through content to recording a show and then watching it. Not sure an iphone is going to capture it well but if you don't mind giving it a shot, I'm sure I am not the only one who would really appreciate it.

Once again, thanks for the update. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and have returned to this thread specifically many times over the last number of months.

- Snowbird
post #95 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 09:31 PM

You'll find that Windows Media Center has excellent out-of-the-box connection to CBS internet TV. That, plus Hulu desktop nicely integrated into media center via this plugin (http://hululauncher.codeplex.com/) and one might say that the Internet TV experience is darn-near complete for those who happen to be on a US internet connection.
post #96 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Everyone start sending tweets to Microsoft Canada and let them know you want this north of the border for Windows 8 MC. Too late for 7MC now I'm assuming.
post #97 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 02:43 PM
Veteran

This isn't a Microsoft Canada issue unless you want them to provide similar access with CTV, Global, etc. CBS sells Canadian rights, including online rights, for many of their shows to Canadian networks. Therefore CBS blocks access to their web site and other forms of Online content from non-US IP addresses.
post #98 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Yeah, that is what I was meaning.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2011-11-24 at 04:51 PM. Reason: off-topic
post #99 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 04:15 PM
Veteran

I have my MC box setup to be US based and I am using Unblockus to spoof a US IP. The US online content in MC is very good, including Netflix and I use the Hulu Desktop to get access to Hulu. This is definitely an alternative to cable TV when combined with OTA. The only problem is the lack of access to a lot of live sports.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2011-11-24 at 04:52 PM. Reason: off-topic
post #100 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 04:54 PM

Some posts edited/removed. Plenty of existing threads about WMC's failings in Canada. Please stay on topic here.
post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird72 View Post
My wife likes her Y&R (CBS) so Hulu isn't going to help me here...
I believe Y&R is simulcast on Global in Canada, no?
post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Wayne,

If you used a US IP, would NHL gamecentre work for local coverage? I thought I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to get the Leafs in the Toronto mkt area but if I used a US IP, do you think it would work?

- snowbird
post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 06:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
yes i believe you are correct. Thx for pointing that out.
post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird72 View Post
If you used a US IP, would NHL gamecentre work for local coverage? I thought I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to get the Leafs in the Toronto mkt area but if I used a US IP, do you think it would work?
Perhaps, but I guess you would have to pay for gamecentre to test it. The service that I use, Unblockus, specifically mentions NHL Gamecentre Live on its web page.
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
It is, and that's how I record it for my wife. She was ok with cutting the cable as long as she can still get Y&R. Just remember, the Global feed is 1 day ahead of the US one....I learnt that the hard way...lol

In regards to gamecentre, I was ticked off that they still have blackouts with their online feeds and would pay them in a second if I could get all the games but since I can't (didn't bother trying with unblockus as I do use that service) I paid for another service to get my NHL games. I think it falls under the "grey" area so I won't post any names but I do have access to every NHL game.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in