Cutting Cable TV Experiment - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketo View Post
* Sports. I'm a soccer fan and hockey fan of course. Setanta-i is $16.99, same as the tv channel in most markets. PremierLeagueLive.tv is $14.99 and is a collaboration with Setanta and Sportsnet. They show 90% of the EPL games live. The only ones they don't have rights to are the ones that Fox Sports or ESPN pickup. They don't make this obvious but it's usually 1 game a week. ESPN3.com will play it if they have the rights. If FOX has it you are SOL. I have subs to both now for testing, I love my Sunday morning Setanta coverage so it's hard to let it go.
Bucketo,

Thanks for sharing your story and updates.
Please let us know in due course how you find the service quality on premierleaguelive.tv.

I find this "premium" service to be consistently one of the poorest performing sports streams available - it often feels like watching an LS Lowry animated movie it mildly sticks and jumps continually, not to mention the times when the game suddenly jumps back up to 10 minutes for no reason - but only in the most crucial games of course. The one thing that seems to work consistently well on the stream is the audio, it does not stick even when the picture does.

I find the service most useful to be able to flick and change between different games that I'm following on a Saturday, but pretty weak for actually sitting down and enjoying a match.

Hard to fathom since it is sold by Rogers Sportsnet and distributed to me over Rogers Cable high speed internet. You would think that even Rogers ought to be able to get that right! It is not technically difficult.

For me, this is the toughest part of my own cutting cable TV experiment. I subsbcribed to Setanta from 2006 - first via an ITVN box (wasn't that bad actually when few subscribers in the early days), and then via Shaw digital cable for the next three years when Setanta Canada launched.

Last edited by Obed; 2011-03-19 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Obed, funny that you posted this yesterday because I was so frustrated with it during the Everton v Fulham game that I turned it off and cancelled shortly after.

I emailed support about it and they got back to me saying to turn off hardware acceleration by right clicking playing window and unchecking it on the 1st tab. Didn't do anything for me.

I can't currently recommend this site to anyone now. We are almost through the season and this stuff is still happening. The skipping around was just frustrating.

In comparison I streamed the 12 hr Sebring car race yesterday with 90% of the time the picture was crystal clear...

So for now I'll be sticking with setanta-i.com. Watching it now for my Sunday soccer fix and it's rock solid. I'll turn to the not-so-legal sites to watch my Everton boys play when not on Setanta, at least the video works there
post #78 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-21, 11:03 PM

Thanks for replying Bucketo. Good luck with the rest of the cutting of cable TV.

One has to wonder whether Rogers are deliberately throttling back the web feeds to "encourage" folks to buy digital boxes and subscribe to a whole package of channels they don't want to watch before they pay the "extra" for the football they really want... ?

post #79 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
Thanks for replying Bucketo. Good luck with the rest of the cutting of cable TV.

One has to wonder whether Rogers are deliberately throttling back the web feeds to "encourage" folks to buy digital boxes and subscribe to a whole package of channels they don't want to watch before they pay the "extra" for the football they really want... ?
One does have to wonder that, doesn't one?

It's a bit ridiculous we feel that way about our major ISP's and content providers, but all these plans they come up with to wring even more money out of the media-consuming public makes you think.

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO with AMD PhenomII X6 T1075 and 8GB RAM
Win7 Home Premium->XBOX360 Extenders
post #80 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
* Hulu Plus ($7/month), covers about 80% of what my wife watches. We have a Plus account as some shows keep all episodes available under this package. House, Lie To Me etc. That takes the pressure off having to keep up weekly with watching. Not all shows do this archiving though.
I'm considering getting Hulu Plus just to have access to ALL of their archived TV episodes. But they still provide recently aired episodes for free, right? This hasn't been a major source of content for me yet. I'm trying to make the access to what my wife wants to watch as easy and as similar to a "cable-box" DVR as possible for my wife. She doesn't want to root thru a website searching for a particular episode, she wants to just go "click" once and have it come on.
Quote:
* Netflix USA ($7/month). We watch tv series on here - Battle Star Galatica etc and some movies/docs.
We already have this. Kids like it a lot, but the wife isn't very impressed with their online selection.
Quote:
* http://bucketo.ca/tv . I've setup a tv homepage to make life easy getting to videos outside hulu and netflix. CBS doesn't have vids on Hulu so we go to the site directly for some stuff. There is also some good stuff on Discovery and History. PBS also has a bunch of stuff to fill the "specialty" niche when you've had enough of the blood and guts on primetime hehe. The VPN section we have to use Overplay as they don't work with usvideo. HGTV has a ton of videos online, pretty much their whole catalog. +1 for the wife factor here...
Looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to try it out just yet. An "anti-cable" website - DisableMyCable.com - has a similar "internet remote." But don't think my dear wife would care for it. Maybe after she buys into the whole "cutting the cable" idea, but not right off the bat. Her biggest stated objection so far has been not wanting to have to click thru a bunch of menus to get at her shows.
Quote:
* Boxee. We have this running on the macMini. It gets minimal use these days, it's actually been easier to just use the website to launch directly to the sites as needed.
I'm still experimenting with the Boxee (on PC). It still looks like it could tip the "convenience argument" in favor of cable-cutting by aggregating all content in one spot. I'm still "tweaking" to get everything the wife will want on here.
Quote:
* Controlling macMini. We use an app on the iPad called Mobile Mouse. Very handy! It actually shows your mac Menu Bar making it easy to launch and kill apps. We also remote in from a macBook when more fine control is needed. You can also get mini bluetooth keyboards/track balls but we haven't had to get one of those yet.
Just downloaded the "Boxee Remote" onto my son's I-Pod Touch. Seems like an okay TV-type remote. Could help the "convenience argument" again due to it's familiar operation and the fact that it could go on my wife's I-Phone (which is always near to her!).
Quote:
* Bonus content. We have an OTA antenna setup and jacked into our mac via eyeTV. The antenna is only in the house right now, not on the roof. We use it to record off CTV which luckily they carry a lot of CBS shows (that's aren't in Hulu). We use the native eyeTV app to watch the shows allowing for quick fast forwarding and rewinding. If eyeTV is running on another mac in the house you can get at it via UpNp but as you may know fast forwarding over UpNp is not as tight.
I'm considering buying a USB or Express Card TV tuner for the Toshiba Satellite that's currently hooked up to the TV (for the Boxee) in order to record OTA broadcasts. But that doesn't seem to be a major concern right now. I've been able to get quite a few episodes (of shows not on the Boxee) using the Torrent Episode Downloader (TED) and uTorrent - they show up listed in the Boxee (again, helping with the single location "convenience factor"). A lot of them seem to be available within a few hours of the original episode airing, in plenty of time for my wife.

But for local live TV, we can get all of the OTA broadcasts (45 total, including the subchannels) for our "market area" (Orlando-Daytona Beach) with a simple "Stealth Hawk" antenna hidden in the attic. So that's covered already.
Quote:
* Sports...
I'm something of a sports fan myself. But down here in Central Florida, there's still quite a few games still broadcast in OTA. So I'm still satisfied. But more of it is shifting over to specialty cable channels. However, if there's a game on cable that I just HAVE TO see (rare), then I'll just go around the corner to Beef O'Brady's (a US "Family-Sports-Pub" chain) and have some Buffalo wings & a beer along with the game. Out-of-market NFL games are my biggest "want," but I refuse to pay for Direct TV just to get the overpriced "Sunday Ticket." I have a feeling that the NFL will be streaming games online in the next year or two anyway with a much more reasonable "ala carte" price structure.
Quote:
* Wife Factor. It's really not too bad, biggest part is showing the potential of Hulu, how it auto queues etc. If they tend to spend a lot of time on specialty channels we've got your HGTV covered. TLC not so much yet but I'm watching them and will report back.
I'm still struggling with getting my wife to even sit down and seriously look at it. Her "solution" is to simply switch from our current Bright House (Time Warner) Cable-Internet-Phone bundle to a similar but slightly cheaper At&T U-Verse bundle (with a 2-year contract).
Quote:
* If anyone needs a video to help "convince" let me know, I'll put one up on youTube showing it's use.
This would be immensely helpful. Actually seeing the ease of use would go a long way in convincing my wife to give up that expensive cable bill.
post #81 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-05-24, 03:40 PM

I love this thread. Thanks for the info.

I've just moved to the GTA from Alberta, and am trying to get an OTA system going. I really don't understand most of the media devices and computer programs you guys are discussing, but I would like to.

We are also trying to live without cable for the first time. We just got teksavvy DSL Wi Fi hooked up, and have been streaming some shows from the network websites. We find the quality to be watchable but jittery --is this due to not enough RAM in our computer (4GB), or is it from the webpage?

My intention is to now learn about watching internet content on my TV, and perhaps learn how to use a WD live/Boxee etc.

I would love to learn how to get a US IP to be able to view ESPN3, Epix, etc. Thanks for sharing your experience, it gives us tech-illiterates hope to be free of the CRTC-cableco's chains.
post #82 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-05-28, 09:27 AM

I didn't read the whole post, but we went cable/sat free 3 years ago. Have OTA which gives all the US nets + my locals.

Used a PS3 for viewing downloads of other stuff, but now have an Apple TV with IceFilms so we get everything we want. We've saved over $3000 already!!!!
post #83 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 01:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Used a PS3 for viewing downloads of other stuff, but now have an Apple TV with IceFilms so we get everything we want. We've saved over $3000 already!!!!
But IceFilms isn't exactly legal.

That's kind of like saying, ever since I stopped paying for groceries and shoplifted all of my food we are saving thousands of dollars.
post #84 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 02:42 PM
Rookie

I'd say its more like photo copying your food.
post #85 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 06:49 PM

Hi gang,

First off, thanks very much for all the info as I look at cutting Rogers cable.

So couple quick questions.

Being as I watch a decent amount of sports from abroad (Formula One, IndyCar, Premier League football, Cricket) was wondering if and how could record them (like i do with my PVR via Rogers), so don't have to get up at 6 am.

In addition is a netbook/laptop with HDMI the only real solution? Was wondering if anyone using say a Boxee Box or WD TV Live Plus like device to stream any shows from the net. Can you use a vpn service with those to get content blocked outside of US, UK, etc.

Lastly, if using a netbook/laptop how can you set up a remote, as it will be located next to the TV. Rather not return to the old days of getting up walking to TV everytime want to watch something else

Cheers,

Al.
post #86 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 07:35 PM
Veteran

Cdnff,

If you want to "record" streaming video to your hard drive, the best tool that I've seen for that (by far) is Replay Media Catcher.

Of course, you could also be asking "where can I get streaming video online for my sports", and the answer to that question is "I don't know".

My preference is to use a actual HTPC plugged into my TV rather than a dedicated media streaming device because it opens up a much larger range of streaming services that you would be able to access. Oh, and I thought I'd take a moment and plug Streaming Guide. You can get all that stuff in a browser. You can get a lot less of it from a Boxee Box.

To control your PC from 10 feet away I'd recommend a keyboard (like this) and a device called The Loop for excellent mouse control. You may run into people who prefer to use menu-driven software instead of a browser, but I think these would also be people who haven't tried The Loop with a Chrome properly configured.

Once you have all the good pages bookmarked you won't need to use the keyboard as often, but sometimes you want to type searches, and on-screen keyboards just aren't as nice as real keyboards when serious typing needs to happen.
post #87 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-08-10, 09:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
In addition is a netbook/laptop with HDMI the only real solution? Was wondering if anyone using say a Boxee Box or WD TV Live Plus like device to stream any shows from the net. Can you use a vpn service with those to get content blocked outside of US, UK, etc.
I started with Boxee on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It was OK to get an idea of the potential, but there was a lot of lag time, etc. with it because the laptop only had a single core processor, so it couldn't really handle the video. A dual core processor is really needed for the load.

Then I updated to an Apple TV (1st gen). Bought it on craigslist for $20 - they're pretty cheap now since the 2nd gen ATV is only $99. I jailbroke it to run Boxee/XBMC and WOW - what a difference. Great streaming, virtually no lags or hangups.

If you then load the Navi-X app in Boxee, you literally have access to THOUSANDS of movie & tv show streams. I'm still wading thru everything.

For live sports, all I've used so far is the JustinTV app. I can get NFL Network on there, so I'm happy.
post #88 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-08-10, 02:53 PM

myp2p.eu is a great site for live sports
post #89 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Gents,

Quick update. Things are still going well. We spend a lot of entertainment time in the Netflix USA and Hulu Plus realms while I get my soccer fix with a few sites.

Thought I'd also mention I updated my "tv guide" webpage front end. Bigger text, bigger buttons, easier to click on from the couch. Beats the boring text I had before.

http://bucketo.ca/tv/

For anyone that's interested I grabbed the web template from here:

http://eight.kx.cz/

and did a few tweaks to it.

As for devices to control the macMini we moved to a black compact keyboard and a compact mouse. Easy to tuck away under the coffee table as needed. The keyboard has come into play more as we use other web sites that need logins to get at streaming.
post #90 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 10:26 PM

Dennis_D, can you run any Bit Torrent software on a jailbroken ATV? They are such small boxes, I'm tempted by your success with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in