Cutting Cable TV Experiment - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 08:02 PM

Being without cable for almost 3 years...

Basically, if you don't have it (insert your whatever 'specialty channel'), you don't watch it...No withdrawal, no one gets sick, no complain, no nothing. Rogers made it easier for me when they moved The Golf Channel to digital many years ago. I watched almost none since they did it. After picking up HDTVs, all I care to watch are HD programs.

I just appreciate my HDTV more displaying the glorious OTA channels in HD. Love the true call sign for the channels and program info. Sperbowl commercials...No extra boxes...nothing.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 07:10 PM

Quote:
if you don't have it (insert your whatever 'specialty channel'), you don't watch it...
So true. They usually aren't even worth the trouble of downloading or streaming from the Internet.

To think I delayed going OTA because I was afraid of losing (insert your whatever 'specialty channel' TV show) !

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #48 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 09:56 AM

^^ It's also an easier transition when you have access to all the OTA HD channels (esp US ones) which right now in Ottawa we don't have or can't get (US channels). If we had OTA HD I would of dropped Rogers years ago.

post #49 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 01:00 PM

same here becks
post #50 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-12, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
^^ It's also an easier transition when you have access to all the OTA HD channels (esp US ones) which right now in Ottawa we don't have or can't get (US channels). If we had OTA HD I would of dropped Rogers years ago.
That's exactly what I've been saying all these years.

No offense to anyone...but around GTA, it's really a no brainer.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #51 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 12:16 PM

I've started a blog series today on my personal blog about cutting the cable, if you're interested. Today I laid out the challenge and the ground rules. Future posts will document my family's experience with various options and attempts.

http://pnear.wordpress.com/2011/02/2...enge-part-one/

Cheers,
Pete
post #52 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 12:30 PM
Veteran

Interesting blog. You might want to consider a DVD rental plan, such as one offered by Zip.ca. In my experience, a combination of options often compensates for weaknesses in others. OTA + Netflix + DVD/BD rentals is one such combination.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #53 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Good post pnear.

In our case the Rogers tech finally came yesterday morn to cut the cable. Wow, what a nightmare it has been to get this figured out with Rogers customer reps. The weird thing is we still have a good amount of HD channels coming in over 24 hrs later. I assume these will die out at some point. I called rogers to confirm the cancellation and they say its all done. Weird.

We are getting DSL installed tomorrow. @ 28.95 / month it's cheaper than paying the Rogers overage fees. As I've mentioned before I can't quite leave Rogers as an ISP just yet because of work reasons but this is a healthy first step.

The DSL line (with unlimited usage) will be used for our netflix/hulu usage. The Cable line will continue to be used for work and for non streaming stuff on the machines in the house. I'll eventually drop the cable package down a notch and then replace it with Teksavvy when they hit town.

We're not missing specialty channels at all. There is plenty in other areas to entertain us. Looking back now most specialty channels are actually "ad" channels with a bit of "specialty" thrown in.
post #54 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 12:48 PM

ScaryBob: Yes, I've had a DVD rental plan in the past and liked it (especially over the summer when TV is in reruns). Believe it or not, I don't have a BluRay player yet so just relying on downloaded movies might be an easier option.

Bucketo: Unlimited (or high caps) internet are a must for this to work. When UBB got delayed, I figured this was the time to jump on it. Let's see how it goes!

A sneak peek into how this is going so far: I've pretty much given up on Canadian options after testing them all, but need to write that up.
post #55 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 03:30 PM

Part two is out, discussing Bell Fibe TV. Bear in mind that unlike people who frequent DHC, most people don't even know this exists.
http://pnear.wordpress.com/2011/02/2...ibe-tv-part-2/

The other posts that I have queued up will touch on more "traditional" cable cutting options. iTunes & Boxee reviews just waiting to be written. Currently evaluating Netflix and Hulu Plus.

Pete
post #56 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 10:07 AM

More segments are now online. I'm conscious that posting every single update to this thread could be annoying, so I'll leave you just with a link to the series which you can refer to from now on.

http://pnear.wordpress.com/category/cutting-cable/

iTunes, Netflix, and TV Web Site reviews are now posted.

Pete
post #57 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 11:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketo View Post

Anyone else cutting loose?

cyas
I want to.

Down here in Central Florida, we're paying $115.00 + taxes per month for our Bright House Cable/Internet/Home Phone bundle. We only watch a couple of the cable channels and in spite of paying for their DVR which allows access to all of their HD channels, my wife continues to watch all of her shows in SD, because the channels are easier to remember - Bright House's HD channels start @ 1000.

I believe that we can just get by on either Bright House's internet only (cable broadband) @ $50/month or possibly the ATT u-verse internet only @ $47/month (one year contract) - a savings of $65-$68/month or $780-$812/year. Most of our TV watching is on the broadcast networks anyway, and with 4 cell phones now in our house (me, my wife, my daughter and my son) the need for a home phone is disappearing. We are all however, internet addicted, so I'm willing to keep that.

My problem is "wife-resistance-to-change." She mainly likes that she can record all of her shows and watch them at her convenience with the cable company's DVR. As a possible solution, I am trying out Boxee on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, backed up with TED recording the latest episodes thru uTorrent as sort of a PVR. We may be buying my daughter a new laptop soon, so her old Acer Aspire netbook could become a dedicated PVR down the road.

For the broadcast TV, I have connected a "Stealth Hawk" antenna to our Samsung 42" plasma. Even with it inside the house about 8 1/2 FT off the ground, I'm getting every broadcast station in Orlando, FL even though we're approximately 40-45 miles from the transmitters. I've pared down the channel list to exclude the spanish language and religious stations that we wouldn't watch anyway and I still have 23 channels (9 main channels with 14 subchannels), including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, My Network, this, ion (with qubo & ion Life) and 11 different PBS stations (each showing different content). I figure a permanent installation in the attic (about 3-4 feet higher) later on will solidly lock in all of the OTA stations without any pixelation or signal loss problems.

I haven't sprung any of this on my dear wife yet. I want her to give it a test drive before asking her to actually cut the cable. I don't have a PC remote yet, although the wireless mouse does work for Boxee from the couch. And I haven't found some of her favorite recorded shows on Boxee or TED yet - Intervention, Bethenny Ever After, "The Real Housewives of" shows, Heavy, and Cake Boss. We're also already streaming Netflix thru our wii gaming console.

Are there any other "wife-resistance" issues that other guys have run into that I should be aware of before attempting to get my wife to buy into cutting the cable?
post #58 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 11:45 AM
Veteran

You could use a PC running SageTV as a PVR server and then buy Sage HD-300s (that cost $150) for each TV. This would allow you to PVR all of your OTA shows, watch downloaded content like Torrents and also watch Hulu, Netflix, etc via a service called PlayOn. There is a bit of up front cost but you would be saving substantially on your monthly bills. You can also watch all of the shows on your PCs as well.

But generally laptops are not as good for a PVR as you want a large fast hard drive(s) to hold all of your content, particularly if they are being accessed by several people at once.
post #59 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 12:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
You could use a PC running SageTV as a PVR server and then buy Sage HD-300s (that cost $150) for each TV. This would allow you to PVR all of your OTA shows, watch downloaded content like Torrents and also watch Hulu, Netflix, etc via a service called PlayOn. There is a bit of up front cost but you would be saving substantially on your monthly bills. You can also watch all of the shows on your PCs as well.

But generally laptops are not as good for a PVR as you want a large fast hard drive(s) to hold all of your content, particularly if they are being accessed by several people at once.
I'm at kind of a "proving it can work" stage with my wife right now. Most of our available cash is tied up in home improvements right now (another reason to cut the cable cost), so I can't spend money on new equipment at the moment. That's why I'm using Boxee on my PC instead of a Boxee Box right now.

If I go with my daughter's old Acer Aspire as a permanent PVR down the road, I'll probably get an external hard drive for storage. I've seen Western Digital 2TB desktop external drives as cheap as $85 at Target.

I don't know much about SageTV. With my PC hooked up to the TV, would I still need to get a separate box to play it on that TV?

After I get the wife's buy-in for the idea, I might spring for a Boxee Box or a roku, etc.

But I'm still looking at getting the wife to go along with a switch to OTA. Any other major objections I should be aware of?
post #60 of 108 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:08 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_D
I'm still looking at getting the wife to go along with a switch to OTA. Any other major objections I should be aware of?
The following thread has terrific discussions about that, so be armed with knowledge when you try to deal with the Wife Acceptance Factor:

Pros and Cons of Going OTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in