Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-07-05, 10:53 PM

Have you tried using Peter Near's hack to enable ATSC in Canada?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-07-06, 01:45 PM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
Hi TorontoColin,
Yes, I have tried it, and have had it working, at least I think but couldn't get the remote configured. It does say in the Hauppauge Colossus instructions that WMC will only accept one tuner within that specific set-up.
I am going to try to get the remote working with the 2250 1st then try re-loading the Colossus again.
post #108 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-07-06, 06:42 PM

It's definitely possible. I used to have a Colossus as well as two PVR-150s and an HDHomeRun all going at the same time. I used firewire to control the Colossus' box.

I've since canceled cable and only use the HDHomeRun, but it worked before.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #109 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-07-06, 10:45 PM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
This was all while using WMC? I have to look at it again once I have more time.
I did find it strange but WMC must have picked up on the Colossus because I only had it hooked up via component cables from the STB. No other hook up with the STB.
During one step I remember seeing the HDPVR card visible but unable to config it thru WMC.

Will try getting the remote config'd via the 2250 before I re-try the Canadian hack setup again.
Thanks again TC.
post #110 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-09-02, 10:19 AM

Colossus & 2250

So here I am trying this set up again. Never got it right in the first place, but did have the ATSC hack working with my 2250 & antenna.

I have cleared all Hauppauge dirvers out using HCW Clear, and followed the info here.... http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clear...ia-center.html
hoping to start totally fresh. Anything else I should do?

I see that Hauppauge has a few more support options when dealing with WMC now too. Do I still need to get both the driver packs for each of my cards or is there an all-in-one pack to get my 2250 & Colossus working together in W7MC?
post #111 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 10:40 AM

22350 & Colussus

Another Update: Once again I found some time to get at this install.
I called Hauppauge tech support, they were quite busy, but I got a call back within a half hour. The tech was very good at explaining every step.

I walked him through my complete hook-up, and the sequence I followed when installing drivers, etc. He told me my problem was the sequence in which I was installing them and W7MCE add-on packages.

So once again, clearing all the Hauppauge drivers, software, ATSC & Guide hacks. I start fresh for the umpteenth time!

Added the 2250 drivers only, for Win7, then the MCE & IR Balster packs.

Then added the Colossus drivers only, then the WMC add-on pack.

Checked that both cards were properly installed via CP/Device Manager.
And they were, so I rebooted & configured the IR & Blaster.

I notice while clearing Pnear's hack, when stopping the services, there is now a Hauppauge Media Center service. I believe perhaps stopping this service may need to be added to the process to re-set the ATSC hack.

I config'd MCE tv signal.....BHAM! everything is recognized!
However only ONE tuner card can be used at a time, so there is still work for me to do. But this is the first time WMC automatically recognized and gave me the option to configure 2 Digital ATSC 2250 tuners or 2 Analog 2250 tuners, or my cable box.

Any advice on getting both cards working at once in W7MCE sure would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DC.
post #112 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 11:06 AM
Veteran

I don't think it is possible to get two HD-PVRs working in MCE in native fashion. There is something called DVBLink for HD-PVR - see more here: http://1geek1tool.com/hdpvr/screenshots/

This was used before MCE supported the HD-PVR at all.

I use two HD-PVRs in my HTPC server but I don't use MCE, I use SageTV - this product supported the HD-PVR from day one. Personally I would recommend buying a SageTV license which you can only now do second-hand (try here). SageTV isn't officially supported anymore since the company was b ought by Google a couple of years ago but there is a strong user community and MCE is pretty dead in MS' eyes which becomes clearer but the week (like not having MCE extender functionality in the Xbox One).

Or try one of the other PVR software products like NextPVR, MythTV, etc
post #113 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Wayne.
post #114 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 04:05 PM

ditto on the SageTV comment. Best DVR I've ever used....if Google didn't buy it, Hollywood would have, only to crush it...
post #115 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 01:54 AM
Rookie

Hello. I've had a Colossus for 8 months, now and it's been working well with my Bell 9241, using HDMI. Last week I noticed a new driver on Hauppauge's web site. So I upgraded. What a mistake, now I get a black screen. So I uninstalled everything and went step by step and installed everything again, with the old driver this time. Still the same issue. So I tried to check WMC 7 and got this result. digital tuner found - but Bell Fibe TV was found to be available not Bell Satellite TV, when setting up TV signal. What happened to Bell Satellie TV as an option? Anyone else experiencing this issue. I installed Hauppauge Capture and it works fine capturing My Bell 9241 via HDMI, So it's not the hardware.. ????
post #116 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 10:52 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm surprised that you were able to record Bell with HDMI. The signals should have been encrypted - see post 1 of this thread. Perhaps there was new firmware downloaded by Bell to ensure the signals leaving the STB via HDMI are encrypted as they should be. Most people use component video. I cannot explain how you are still able to "capture" or why Bell Sat doesn't come up. Others with more experience will have to comment.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #117 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 10:27 PM
Rookie

When I initially bought the Colossus, I had it hooked up by Component cable and line out using stereo rca cables. I tried the HDMI for fun and it worked out. If you have this capture card you should really test it to see if it works.
post #118 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Just an update. I looked at the WMC plug in made by Hauppauge, and found the issue. The chec kbox indicating that the colossus tuner was being used was unchecked. I checked and restarted my HTPC. As soon as I did that, the Bell Satellite East tuner was available.
post #119 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 06:48 PM

How is picture and sound quality when using HDMI input with colossus, in WMC? Did you compare with component?

And what about stability?
Do you sometime have audio out of sync with the image (some lipsync delay)?
post #120 of 129 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 11:25 PM
Rookie

The quality is very good. I have noticed that the pictures is a little sharper and the colors are little more rich on HDMI compared to component. I have experience a little audio sync issues with recording on component and line out (stereo RCA's). But not all the time. Since I switched to HDMI there are no issues at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in