Vulkano Platform released (formerly known as HAVA) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Vulkano Platform released (formerly known as HAVA)

"Vulkano is a sleek and stylish consumer device that connects to your TV set-top box or any video source that enables a complete TV and Internet media experience on smartphones, iPads, PCs, Macs and your big screen TV. Vulkano allows you to experience live or recorded TV, videos, photos and music on whichever screen you prefer, when you want it. Imagine having TiVo, Slingbox, Roku and mobile video recording functionality all in a single box, for a fraction of the price."

http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html

This device looks interesting. It's like a TiVo, media streamer and Slingbox combined.
I'm not sure about Canadian availability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 10:02 AM

I visited the site and noticed that if you click through the "Buy Now" link, and add one to your cart, Canada is supported for shipping. Of course, how many of the features are supported for Canada has yet to be determined.
Pretty slick device, though, and I will certainly want to have a closer look once it is released.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 01:00 PM

the Vulkano aka Hava

I've got a hava

it's a neat device, but the company is absolute garbage at supporting the software

the iphone/ipod/ipad app is absolute garbage. 10-12 fps is almost unwatchable

they also no longer offer integration into MCE, which was the biggest seller of the original Hava for me

(it basically acts like a networked tuner, much like the silicon dust HD homerun)

I've got mixed feelings on this

the Vulkano is 6ish months late, and every month Hava has been saying "oh yeah, it's coming this month" and just ignoring all the other glaring issues with the current gen stuff

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 04:28 PM

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 04:36 PM

I just ordered a vulkano unit, I will post a review once I get it and try it out. I see they have started shipping(in the us) I haven't received my shipping confirmation yet. I really hope I will be able to pair this with my shaw system because with the vulkano option of using it as pvr and my Ipad, would be sick..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 08:29 PM

you're going to hate the ipad app

12 fps

it's brutal
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 08:42 PM

Really? That bad eh. Can't u upload the video to the iPad and then play it? Is it still 12fps ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-23, 07:34 PM

you could, but what would be the point of the hava/vulkano then?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-23, 11:29 PM

Just to take recorded shows on the road....

Do I even unpack this thing? They have a 30 day return policy...

Also I assume your unit is a wired connection?

Anyone else running this thing?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 11:36 PM

my hava is wired yes, but I access it wireless exclusively

it integrates flawlessly into the MCE portion of my vista laptops

I don't use it much on my ipod, as the picture is just absolutely disappointing

let me rephrase that actually

it's really decent for watching sitcoms, or whatever

but for sports it's terrible

the 12 fps just looks awful there (not noticeable on the sitcom)

if you want to just take recorded shows on the road, why not just buy the shows from itunes?

the 200ish bucks you paid for the vulkano would give you a lot of downloads (especially if you just run netflix or hulu on your ipad)

for me, i picked it up a hava just simply to be able to continue to watch a show or game while I had to go outside to BBQ, or go to the bathroom
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that The Brick had the Flow model on sale for $48 recently and decided to take the plunge. So far so good.

I hooked it up to my Rogers 3200 SD box and had it running over my (wired) home network in no time.

The device has a powerful built-in IR blaster and even though I have it placed on a different shelf from the STB, it's able to operate it effortlessly. It does come with 2 plug-in IR blasters but I didn't need those.

The PC software is pretty good. It comes with it's own, fairly decent EPG. The video quality is just as good as on my TV. The software mirrors the STB's remote so you have total control and can even watch the On-Demand channels.

I nice feature of the base model is that you can record TV straight to your PC's hard drive and pause live TV as well.

I also purchased the Android app ($12) and was able to watch TV over 3G. The video quality was so so. No stuttering but fairly blocky. Probably not the best way to watch sports.

All in all I'm fairly pleased by this device. Especially for $48.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 07:06 PM

yup, for 50 bucks, its alright
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

The video quality of the Android mobile app on 3G has improved greatly for me since I first trie it. It is quite good now, even for watching sports.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in