Watch internet movies on my TV using PS3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-26, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Watch internet movies on my TV using PS3

Hello,

I have a PS3 and I was wondering if you guys know when ( if ) we will be able to download movies onto the PS3 ( like they can in the US )?

I would like to watch movies on my TV from the internet ( without spending 250.00 for Apple TV ).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-26, 01:23 PM
Veteran

You mean streaming? Because you can certainly download to a PC and then watch on your PS3 (allow sharing of media from your PC to the PS3 as discussed in a recent topic).

If you're talking about what NetFlix subscribers can do, then I believe the answer is no, at this point. Zip.ca did say, back in the summer, that they are in talks with Sonic Solutions to allow downloading movies to subscribers. They didn't mention the PS3 at the time and, in any case, they did not offer any timelines.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-26, 08:06 PM
Veteran

You could also look into using VPN services to make Netflix think you are in the US - but you may need a US based credit card as well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 12:08 AM

I just found vuze.com
it allows me to download to my PC then stream over to my PS3. Just finished watching Chuck.

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 05:33 PM
Veteran

I thought Vuze was a bittorrent client? It does more?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Yes, it acts as a DLNA digital media server which streams content to a compatible digital media player such as a PS3. It also has add-ins which can optimise the stream for PS3.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-03-11, 06:50 AM
Veteran

Pretty cool, here is a yutube video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBB3CMV5gWM

However, how is vuze any different (as a media server) from WMP or the PS3 Media Server? As faras I know WMP is not going to do much with content that the PS3 cannot accept natively, while the PS3 Media Server transcodes content on the fly. Does Vuze do anything like that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in