Flash-based stream w/ Squeezebox Radio? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Flash-based stream w/ Squeezebox Radio?

Does anyone know if flash-based streams will play on a Logitech Squeezebox Radio?

I would like to buy one for my wife but if she can't listen to CFNY in Toronto it will lose much of the appeal for her.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by notsure; 2010-01-10 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo in radio station call letters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 09:45 PM
apn

Not sure what aspects of Flash you're referring-to, but SB does not support Flash Audio, although I understand some stations transmit a Flash user-interface and standard audio stream.

Regardless, I grabbed my SB Duet Remote, searched out CFNY. The Duet quickly found, and is now happily playing 102.1 the EDGE Toronto aka CFNY.

BTW, the SB Radio is cute, but I assume that you know it's only half an SB Boom, right? You're giving up the 2nd (integrated) speaker for a 2.4" LCD screen, the only benefit of which is to display radio station/podcast logo's or album covers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thank you sir.

Since it works on the Duet I'll assume it's going to work on the Radio.

I could not find any mention of support for Flash Audio so assumed it wouldn't support it and since I could only find a Flash Audio stream of the Edge I was a little worried.

I realise it's only one speaker but she's not really an audiophile, the music will only be on in the background/not very loud, it's going to be used in a med/smallish room and the display will allow her to monitor her facebook page (scary I know).

Cheers and thanks for the info!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 07:31 AM
apn

No problem.

It was also playing on my Boom (i.e. 2-speaker Radio), so there will be no problems w/ the (1-speaker) Radio.

I can't be sure, but you might be confusing a flash player (or plugin) used to stream CFNY to your computer. Some stations use this approach to display advertising, but they're using standard audio streams for the sound. However, some apparently use actual Flash Audio too, and the latter is not supported on SB.

Generally speaking, most/all stations listed on radiotime http://radiotime.com/Index.aspx (>100K stations globally) will be fine for playing on SB.

Good Luck.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up

I also found this link which seems to be based on your link but with specific info for the Sqeezebox.

Thanks again, going to be placing my order soon.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Finally received the radio and everything works as advertised.

Got it connected wirelessly, did the firmware update and turned it over to my wife.

So far it's perfect for what she requires. The rechargeable battery pack and remote should make it even better once they are available.

I may just get another one to use as a clock/radio for the bedroom. The ambient noises would be the perfect "white noise" generators.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 07:55 PM
apn

Congrats on your first of hopefully many Squeezeboxes

My 2nd Boom (received @ Christmas) is installed as a clock radio in the master bedroom. It works great (caution: no battery backup though) and I'm currently enjoying Radio Paradise as a sleep aid (via the sleep timer) and wake up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 06:30 PM

I've got a SqueezeBox Classic connected to my shelf system. I control it through squeezebox server. I'm thinking a SqueezeBox radio might be nice for the bedroom.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-22, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm still impressed with the radio so far (even though technically it's not mine!).

We've only had it a few days but it's on it's second s/w update. I'm guessing the code isn't very mature yet (you have full access to it if you enable ssh) but it only takes a few minutes to update and you are back in business.

Maybe if I can find a red one I'll get another one and swap it with my wife's.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-01-26, 08:20 AM

I've been listening to the edge 102.1 (CFNY) for years on my Logitech squeezebox. I have it set to one of the preset buttons. HOWEVER just this month, recently, the stream has stopped working... 404 Not Available. http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?...partnerid=16&s

Tags
squeezebox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in